The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-24-2018, 10:57 AM

I seem to have an affinity for things with strings. Guitars, bows, bikinis...

Instead of buying another guitar, I just bought a crossbow. My friend let me try one out and I didn't realize how much fun they are. I'm used to using recurves and compound bows so this was a nice surprise. How many of you make a big purchase and think of it in terms of "what guitar could I have bought instead?"
Old 07-24-2018, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acwild View Post
I seem to have an affinity for things with strings. Guitars, bows, bikinis...

Instead of buying another guitar, I just bought a crossbow. My friend let me try one out and I didn't realize how much fun they are. I'm used to using recurves and compound bows so this was a nice surprise. How many of you make a big purchase and think of it in terms of "what guitar could I have bought instead?"
Yeah, I thought about that when I picked up a Vespa in May. But, in keeping with the title of this thread, I also thought: The Vespa is glossy black - it will go nice with my X7.

I'm having a new seat cover made for the scoot: a double diamond stitched tobacco color over black sides... so maybe it will go better with the X20?

My other scoot is red. When Joan saw what I ordered for the Vespa, she wanted something more upscale for her glossy black Honda PCX - we ordered her a black double diamond with red stitching and piping. If she decides she doesn't like it, that will look sharp on my red scoot. Always planning.
Old 07-24-2018, 03:38 PM

Captain, I'm a far less-frequent visitor here than I used to be, but I had to chime in here because I also share your zeal for guitars (including a CA GX, which I gig regularly with, and a Blackbird Rider) and motorcycles. I had a few bikes in my younger years and got back into it a few years back with a Honda CTX. Then I "upgraded" a year or so ago to my 2016 Indian Chief Classic. My wife rode around with me on that for about six weeks before she said she had to get her own, so she bought a new Indian Scout. We of course ride all we can, and are trying to take advantage of every drop of rare PNW sunshine. I also recall that you have sailed the San Juans regularly in the past too (correct?) and we also get up into the San Juans or inner-passage area every summer when we go visit her folks on their boat, sailing around wherever we want (and eating lots of fresh salmon, halibut and crab!). Anyway just wanted to show you a shot or two of our bikes here -- I'm sure you know what a CA GX and a Blackbird Rider look like!

Uhhh... where the heck did my photos go???

Keep strumming and ride safely!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic

Last edited by slewis; 08-01-2018 at 02:46 PM.
Old 07-24-2018, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

Good looking bikes! I like the new incarnation of Indian. We've had Harleys, Goldwings, BMWs, and others... but the scoots fit our current lifestyle.

Yes, I know what a GA GX and a Blackbird Rider look like, but it is always fun to see what people are playing.

Regarding the San Juans: when we first retired, we spent the better part of two years cruising in the Pacific Northwest (San Juans, Gulf Island, and north from there). I un-retired for 5 summers to drive commercial whale watch boats out of San Juan Island (Friday Harbor and Roche Harbor) - some of the prettiest boat cruising waters to behold, and the abundant wildlife.

The road between Hwy 20 and Bellingham that runs along Chuckanut Bay is another great riding road. Or put your bikes on the ferry and ride around Orcas Island, up to Mount Constitution. I like taking the ferry there with the bikes: you are the first to load (even if you aren't the first ones there) and the first to off-load. Great way to get around there. I used to "scoot commute" to Roche for my job there... nice way to start and end the day.

Have fun, ride safe!

A couple shots from my helmet cam today...

Oh, deer!

Starting to see a lot of bikes in the Black Hills right now, including some Indians. The Sturgis Ralley is only 10 days away.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:19 PM
Guest 928

Sl;

Great bikes, great guitars! You are living well. Carry on..............
Old 07-24-2018, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

I love reading that stuff and seeing those pictures, those Indians are BEAUTIFUL !!! Captain...I'm not sure it would be a good idea to ride into Sturgis on your Vespa once the rally starts. LOL
Old 07-25-2018, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I love reading that stuff and seeing those pictures, those Indians are BEAUTIFUL !!! Captain...I'm not sure it would be a good idea to ride into Sturgis on your Vespa once the rally starts. LOL
We've been to the Sturgis Rally many times over the years... of course, it was pretty easy when living in Sturgis and Spearfish. Only been back once since we moved away 12 years ago. There are all kinds of bikes at the Rally, although the majority are Harleys. Can't say that I've seen anyone on a Vespa there, though... we'll see how that plays out.

We've ridden through the middle of it on all kinds of bikes.

Stop me if I've told this story before...

We were at a Goldwing Rally (WingDing) in Madison, WI, back in the early 90. While visiting with other folks there, when they found out we were from the Black Hills, one guy asked: "Have you ever taken your Wing there? I heard they beat up anyone who isn't riding a Harley!"

With as straight a face as I could muster, I said, "That's true. They actually have two lanes as you come into town: beating and non-beating."

One year, in the midst of downtown and what I call "the crazy parade," a guy on a Di Blasi (folding mini-bike)... he would ride 100 yards, stop, fold it up, carry it a couple feet, then unfold it and start the process over.

https://www.diblasi.com/

It is "Mardi Gras on motorcycles" - you see all kinds of bikes and people there.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 08-03-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:10 PM
Charter Member

It has been a while since I've posted anything here. We are enjoying our time in the Black Hills, getting a lot of scooter time in, lunching in various locations, and getting some guitar time in on the patio. Lots of Rufus time, too...

We made a run to Sturgis yesterday - the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally starts this weekend, so it was a "preview of what's to come."

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2018/08/sturgis-lite.html

When we got back, we saw a crime had been committed, right out our door. Joan didn't want to sit out on the patio. I had to do something...

http://captnjim.blogspot.com/2018/08/oh-humanity.html
Old 08-03-2018, 12:28 PM

I haven’t been to Sturgis ( have had caviar though).....Daytona bike week once many years ago... quite the experience/show...
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-03-2018, 12:58 PM

That's one heck of a pretty cat, Captain. And I'm not even a cat guy.

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 08-03-2018, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
That's one heck of a pretty cat, Captain. And I'm not even a cat guy.
Yeah, I wasn't a "cat guy," either... many years ago. We were picking up our two Old English Sheepdogs from the groomer, and our then 10 year old daughter, saw they had a box of kittens. The woman at their reception desk said, "You can have one of those kitties for free, if your Daddy says it's OK!"

Honestly, I thought those big ol' dogs might eat the the cat before we got home, but they were terrified of her! That kitty was small enough to hold in the palm of your hand. She remained small, but had the heart of a tiger - long outlived the dogs; made it to almost 22 years.

When our daughter went off to college, I became "the feed-me guy," who took care of that cat. I could not have become more attached to that little fur ball. When our daughter was done with college and getting a place of her own, she said, "I want to take Smoke (the kitty) back."

I told her, "That is MY cat - you can get your own darn (I didn't say darn) cat. That cat didn't go 600 miles away to college. She doesn't ask for money. She is always right here to snuggle. Yeah, MY cat!"

That conversation was 28 years ago, and it was the first time I realized I am a cat guy. Joan is a cat Momma. One at a time. Each has traveled with us and is a full-fledged member of the family.

Rufus was a shelter rescue (last February). The vet estimated he was between 2 and 3 years old. He has a wonky ear, a kink in his tail, he's missing some teeth... and when we first saw him, his fur was short and thin and he smelled awful. I told Joan, "This boy really needs us."

We had no idea that he would blossom into the cat he is now. We think he is rather dashing, but I'm sure we are biased. He is MY cat, but is smart enough to spread the love around with Joan and me. He sits by me (right at my side as I write this), follows me like a shadow, and is SO good-natured.

Some who have seen this have said he is grateful for being rescued... the feeling is mutual. This is the first male cat we've had, and I didn't expect him to be SO lovey.

Since Joan and I have been married, I have been the only male in the family - yes, a daughter, and all the other dogs and cats have been female. Rufus is my boy. He and I communicate and understand each other... I don't take that for granted.

Ummm... we have no grandkids... guess I get a bit mushy about my furry boy.

Old 08-03-2018, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

Did you order that Corbin seat for your scoot? I just put one on my Grom, major improvement in comfort and fit. Not nearly as firm as some others I have set on. Sturgis looks interesting !!
Old 08-03-2018, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Did you order that Corbin seat for your scoot? I just put one on my Grom, major improvement in comfort and fit. Not nearly as firm as some others I have set on. Sturgis looks interesting !!
Yes, I did. They are trying to have it completed by next week - pretty impressive if it plays out that way. Distressed Bomber-Jacket Brown Leather in the seating area, black on the sides.

I have had a couple other Corbin seats on previous motorcycles, and they have been a definite improvement over the OEM in comfort and looks.

Having lived in the Black Hills for almost 3 decades before moving to TX, we have done the Sturgis Rally many times (I used to shoot the "Official Main Street Photo" years ago). The Rally brings in hundreds of thousands of people (estimating the crowd will be around 500,000 this year). The actual "Rally and Races" were discontinued years ago, since most of the visitors didn't attend those races. Now, it is just a HUGE gathering... the world's biggest "motorcycle flea market"... rally campgrounds that are like cities unto themselves... hundreds of vendors selling all manor of things to the crowds.

It used to be about the riding: there were organized "tours" but the size is just too overwhelming. All lodging within 100 miles or so around Sturgis is booked up. Rally campgrounds can hold thousands of campers (mow down some ranch land, bring in porta-potties and showers - but some of these Rally campgrounds have gone upscale over the years, with full hookup RV sites and rentals). A lot of people making a lot of money selling T-shirts, leathers, food, booze, bike stuff, tattoos, etc, etc.

Huge concerts in the different campgrounds, where, because it is on private property, it can be a bit... rowdy (intentional understatement). Lynyrd Skynyrd, Kid Rock, John Kay & Steppenwolf, etc, etc, etc, etc. (To keep this music related)

But, mostly, it is about a big party - seeing and being seen. Surprisingly little "altercations," considering the crowd size and demographic. I have been known to call it: 500,000 rugged individualists all dressed similar (black t-shirts & jeans), mostly driving the same brand motorcycle (HD). Or: Mardi Gras on motorcycles, where everyone gets to be a part of "the crazy parade."

Some would be horrified by this, many people plan their summer vacations around being able to be here. The crowd has certainly aged from the truly rowdy Rallies back in the 70s. Early on when we lived here, it was fun to take a motorcycle to Main Street and people watch. Towards the end of our time there, it became more wearisome... even living almost 20 miles away from Sturgis, the roar at our home and business was constant; it was hard to do business, hard to sleep.

Now, for us, it is fun to go there for a couple hours when the crowd isn't so massive that you can't walk the sidewalks. We won't do as much riding the next 10 to 12 days, just because of the incredible traffic... the twisty roads that are so much fun to ride when the Rally isn't happening, aren't much fun when the roads are packed. Too many "flat-landers" that don't know how to safely ride the curves and hills.

In any city of a half million, there would be daily traffic fatalities. Considering the crowd size and density, and the imbibing, is is surprising there aren't more casualties during the Rally. Not that any number is acceptable.

That all said, the Sturgis Rally is something that every motorcyclist should take in at least once. Years ago, I thought it was the time of year I "fit in." Since the 90s, it makes me appreciate just how normal I am.

Here's what we looked like around 1980 or so...

For those looking closely, that motorcycle I am on is a first year Sturgis, the first HD model with belt drive (the 3rd of 9 Harleys I had over the years). Joan is on a Yamaha Midnight Maxim; our daughter got that little bike when she was 8 years old... yeah, the grandparents were thrilled. Not.

We have hardly changed over the years...

Old 08-03-2018, 10:01 PM
Charter Member

What goes with my guitars:

I designed the custom conversion for the 1990 MCI bus that we lived in with our two younger boys (actually adopted nephews) for 6 years starting a year before i retired from the Navy in 2008.

I currently have 12 nylon string guitars and a steel string Amicus. I guess I have a few more guitars that are in the hands of my two older sons, and my Dad.

Here at home:
1982 Khono Sakurai
1998 Takamine Santa Fe
1999 Parker Spanish Fly
1998 Soloette
2008 Emerald X 10 Nylon (the first Emerald Nylon String)
2009 Darren Hippner Flamenco
201? Cordoba GK Pro
201? Manuel Rodríguez B cutaway Sol y sombra
201? Yamaha SLG 200N
201? Godin 7 string
2018 Emerald cocobolo X10 Nylon String (Yeah I need to start a thread with pics)

I have another Soloette at work.

My Dad got me started on the guitar when I was 12. He used to sing and play guitar just for fun, usually at home but also at parties.

I bought 4 steel string guitars for my wife, Rose,and the only one that she wants to play is the Taylor.

I work too many hours because too many hours comes with the territory of my business. I enjoy my work. I would rather be playing guitar though. Maybe Someday.....?

Rose is a talented singer. I have no musical talent, but a moderate amount of skill because of years of stubborn, er, persistent, pursuit. These days we perform at 1 or 2 retirement homes a month.

When I was in optometry college I had 1 guitar and played 120+ gigs a year, mostly solo guitar, with it. Now I have 12 guitars and my only gigs are as Rose's roadie, comic spoof and accomaniest who takes a solo chorus in some of the tunes. I do usually crank out an enthusiastic but imperfect rendition of Guy Van Duser's arrangement of "The Stars & Stripes Forever" (popularized by Chet Atkins back in 1976) at most of our gigs.

We have 2 grand-daughters who live a mile away, and Rose babysits them here at home all day twice a week. I am usually home for the first 30 - 60 minutes that they are here. We have another grand-daughter on the way in December. Our youngest son has 2 more years to go in high school.

Last edited by ceciltguitar; 08-03-2018 at 10:02 PM. Reason: add work Soloette
Old 08-04-2018, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Hey, Ceciltguitar - yes, some photos of the new Emerald and the others would be nice. Fun to also hear about where the guitars go. I wasn't familiar with the SoloEtte - had to look it up. Precursor to the Yamaha Silent Guitar?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber