The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-12-2015, 02:45 PM
Music soothes the soul!

I do love all the Whispering Echoes pieces but III is quite special Mau. The fundamentals of the Blonde are exceptional. I like the way it records. Fine job! Glad you are feeling better. And a big thanks for the color shot. Awesome!
Old 11-13-2015, 12:45 AM

Found this the other day. If u haven't seen it check it out. He seems like a very nice man.

I've owned 2 of these at various times, really enjoyed having them around.

Old 11-14-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
I do love all the Whispering Echoes pieces but III is quite special Mau. The fundamentals of the Blonde are exceptional. I like the way it records. Fine job! Glad you are feeling better. And a big thanks for the color shot. Awesome!
Thanks, Dennis. The "Whispering Echoes" suite was a guilty pleasure of mine. I enjoy composing and playing simple tunes with loads of delay but I try not to do it too often...

The maple SJ strums beautifully so it's back in standard tuning. I feel like I've already bonded with it. Along with my Martin, it's probably my most versatile guitar.

My wrist was doing fine until I resumed practicing "Stealing" from Leo Kottke... I've nailed 95% of it -- but there is one bar that is really difficult to play clearly at full speed so I've been repeating it over and over... I'll keep working on it until I get it right.
Old 11-14-2015, 10:35 AM

Mau, either your recording/sound production skills have improved or I just really like your new blond more! That was an extremely emotional piece and I loved it. Beautiful. Can't wait to hear more from you

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 11-14-2015, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Mau, either your recording/sound production skills have improved or I just really like your new blond more! That was an extremely emotional piece and I loved it. Beautiful. Can't wait to hear more from you
Thanks, Marcus.

I like my three SJs equally albeit for different reasons.

My recording setup hasn't changed one bit -- although there might be some variation in the way that I'm seated or holding the guitar. If anything I thought my latest clip was a bit quiet -- but I'm glad that you enjoyed it.
Old 03-29-2016, 11:30 PM

Here's a simple piece that I wrote yesterday. Just a few open chords and a bit of delay...

Thank you for listening.

https://youtu.be/jDkZ1GoXuOY

Old 03-30-2016, 08:24 AM

Very nice, Mau, .....love the treatment with the delay......definitely "whispering echoes"! Thanks!
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 03-30-2016, 10:45 AM

Très beau Mao.

Of course you are invited to not tell us again, that you wrote a piece yesterday, like in "it only took one day to do it".
You know some of us have to work for months to create their own little piece...

JF

https://soundcloud.com/user-254253822

http://members.soundclick.com/Jean%2DFrancois+Champoux
Old 03-30-2016, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Always a pleasure watching your vids Mau! 🎯
Old 03-30-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-F C View Post
Très beau Mao.

Of course you are invited to not tell us again, that you wrote a piece yesterday, like in "it only took one day to do it".

JF
Agreed! Hahah the Olson seems very responsive even to a light touch the song sort of has a John Mayer vibe to it, I like it. The post production was done very well too!

So how often do you find yourself picking up this guitar compared to the Cedar/BRW which couldn't be more different in terms of wood combinations.

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 03-30-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Very nice, Mau, .....love the treatment with the delay......definitely "whispering echoes"! Thanks!
Fred
Thanks, Fred. I actually came up with the name "Whispering Echoes" when I discovered the delay effect in Auria...

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-F C View Post
Très beau Mao.

JF
Merci JF.

To be honest I can think of at least 4-5 songs from which I "stole" part of the melody so I get no credit. I just wanted to create a moody progression within a simple structure.

Writing a "full" piece takes me much longer. I haven't done that in a while because work has been so busy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondave View Post
Always a pleasure watching your vids Mau! 🎯
Thanks so much for listening, Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Wong View Post
Agreed! Hahah the Olson seems very responsive even to a light touch the song sort of has a John Mayer vibe to it, I like it. The post production was done very well too!

So how often do you find yourself picking up this guitar compared to the Cedar/BRW which couldn't be more different in terms of wood combinations.
Thanks, Marcus.

My three SJs share a lot of similarities and mostly feel the same to me.

The cedar/BRW SJ sounds warmest, has the most sustain and the most complex overtones. I usually keep this guitar in some kind of alternate tuning as it sounds best for lush melody lines. Overall, this is my favourite guitar.

The maple SJ is brighter, somewhat drier and less complex so it's best suited IMHO for pieces that require better note separation. I keep this guitar in standard tuning and have been playing it daily since I received it from Jim. Unplugged it is not as impressive as my BRW SJ but still a wonderful guitar.
Old 03-30-2016, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Beautiful as always, Mau--you make it look so effortless...

But I know it isn't--thanks for sharing!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 03-30-2016, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Hi Mau,

Wow, wonderful photos of your new guitar and lovely recordings on all 3 of your guitars of your "Whispering Echoes" suite. You have a wonderful ability to find beautiful, touching melodies. I just sat here for an hour listening, spellbound.

Thanks for so much for the music. And, I am so glad to hear you have healed up enough to play again.

- Glenn
Old 03-30-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Beautiful as always, Mau--you make it look so effortless...

But I know it isn't--thanks for sharing!
Thank you, Kevin.

I was never a natural rhythm player and I still find it challenging to maintain a repetitive pattern over an extended period of time. This might explain why I'm into the slow, atmospheric stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Mau,

Wow, wonderful photos of your new guitar and lovely recordings on all 3 of your guitars of your "Whispering Echoes" suite. You have a wonderful ability to find beautiful, touching melodies. I just sat here for an hour listening, spellbound.

Thanks for so much for the music. And, I am so glad to hear you have healed up enough to play again.

- Glenn
Thank you for listening, Glenn.

I thought I'd stop at three but I may write a full set of variations for my "Whispering Echoes" concept as I really enjoy writing these simpler pieces.

I constantly have melodies running through my head and fingerstyle guitar is the best medium to convey my emotions. I have been posting recordings for several years now and I feel privileged for having an audience to share my music with.
Old 03-30-2016, 09:53 PM

Mau:
Love it - the piece, the playing. The gentle reverb really works. Especially enjoyed the feather touch on the strings and the sound you bring out. I just got my first Olson SJ, and you're inspiring me to try a similar adventure.
Thanks for sharing with us!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop