The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-11-2020, 02:56 PM

Default Down where the drunkards roll DADGAD

Hi folks, does anyone have the tab for Richard Thompson’s ‘Down where the drunkards roll’ in DADGAD tuning?
Old 06-12-2020, 12:34 AM

It's hard to hear the guitar on the original. Is it in DADGAD? The dominant instruments are electric piano and dulcimer.
Richard seems to play it in drop D nowadays.

Last edited by JerrysGuitarBar; 06-12-2020 at 01:23 AM.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:27 PM

It is worth picking up a copy of Thompson's "Acoustic Classics" CDs, on which he performs a wad of his older tunes on solo acoustic guitar. Including "Drunkards."
Old 06-12-2020, 01:45 PM

Default Thanks guys

I’ve definitely heard a version somewhere that sounded like is was in DADGAD, of course, I could be wrong, I’ll certain check out his acoustic hits album thanks. Just such a great tune.
Old 06-12-2020, 02:36 PM

It looked like he did it in Drop D when he played it on his Facebook live session a while back.

Ditto on getting your hands on his Acoustic Classic album(s) too. So nice hearing everything stripped back like that, you really appreciate the complexity of his playing. That version of ‘when the spell is broken’ is mad.

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 06-12-2020, 05:16 PM

This version is in drop D:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arqRV1RWXGI
Old 06-12-2020, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Why not standard tuning
Chords G to C etc.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-21-2020, 03:42 AM

Many thanks Rick
Old 06-21-2020, 03:43 AM

Thanks Rick
Old 06-21-2020, 03:45 AM

Thanks Jon
Old 06-23-2020, 10:55 PM

In Vol. 1 of the Richard Thompson Songbook the tuning is given as DADGBE, capo 5. There is unfortunately no Tab for this song in the Songbook, he just gives the chords and the vocal line in standard notation.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:10 AM

Personally I wouldn't say tab as such is necessary for this. He doesn't play it fingerstyle. In that live version I posted (drop D capo 5, concert key G major), he does some hybrid picking, but mostly it's random strumming on standard drop D chord shapes. (I might work it out in detail, but I'm pretty sure it's just D, G and A shapes.)

In the version rick posted, he's also in drop D capo 5, while Loudon Wainwright is in EADGBE open position, playing in G. (Suzanne Vega is not playing, just singing.) RT improvises a solo, which is worth tabbing if you like it, but otherwise (behind the vocal) its a mix of strumming, and maybe some hybrid picking.

FWIW, the original version with Linda was in concert Bb, to suit her lead vocal, of course (Richard's backing vocal was way down in the bass). Just strumming on that one.

Here's another live drop D version, where you can see his chords clearly. Skip to 31:30 -

(This does have a rather nice hybrid-picked solo.) And a great piece of live hoovering to replace the applause afterwards.

Last edited by JonPR; 06-24-2020 at 05:22 AM.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Personally I wouldn't say tab as such is necessary for this. He doesn't play it fingerstyle. In that live version I posted (drop D capo 5, concert key G major), he does some hybrid picking, but mostly it's random strumming on standard drop D chord shapes. (I might work it out in detail, but I'm pretty sure it's just D, G and A shapes.)

In the version rick posted, he's also in drop D capo 5, while Loudon Wainwright is in EADGBE open position, playing in G. (Suzanne Vega is not playing, just singing.) RT improvises a solo, which is worth tabbing if you like it, but otherwise (behind the vocal) its a mix of strumming, and maybe some hybrid picking.

FWIW, the original version with Linda was in concert Bb, to suit her lead vocal, of course (Richard's backing vocal was way down in the bass). Just strumming on that one.

Here's another live drop D version, where you can see his chords clearly. Skip to 31:30 -

(This does have a rather nice hybrid-picked solo.) And a great piece of live hoovering to replace the applause afterwards.
The guitar parts for most of the songs in his songbooks are not written out note for note, likely for the reasons you have stated. There are some exceptions, though, with full standard notation and Tab.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write