The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-08-2020, 06:59 PM

Default Midi Guitar for Songwriting

Is there a way, using a midi guitar such as a Godin Multiac SA which has a piezo and electronics for each individual string, to have a computer write down what you play into sheet music?

Thank you,

Russ
Old 06-08-2020, 09:07 PM

You'd have to jury-rig something, probably.

I know it's possible in a DAW to use pitch detection/correction to create a MIDI track (at least in Reaper with one of their plugins, but maybe others). Then you'd have to find software to convert MIDI to sheet music.

However, that really only works well on single-note stuff. But if somehow you could send the individual strings into individual tracks, you might be able to make it all work.

Maybe somebody else knows of something, but that kind of tricky multi-step process is all I can think of.
Old 06-08-2020, 09:20 PM

I'm sure there are software packages that attempt to do what you describe but I'm not sure that they will always produce a coherent score. Just the simple business of deciding which is the first beat of a bar can be beyond the capabilities of a machine. I know it's not the answer that you want, and it is not a quick solution but you really should consider learning to write notation yourself.

These days there are lots of notation editors for all platforms, some of them free. I use Musescore and there is no shortage of alternatives. They allow you to enter notes and then play back what you have written. This play back feature can help you to learn how to get it right.

Last edited by stanron; 06-08-2020 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:59 PM

I just looked, and on the Sweetwater site it says about the Multiac: "you'll be particularly impressed with the way this technology aids your ability to transcribe music, converting each note you play into MIDI that any notation or sequencing software can recognize."

So, assuming that the Multiac can accurately output MIDI from 6 strings simultaneously...

Most DAWs can record MIDI. Set up your project, with a click track at the appropriate tempo, and record your Multiac playing.

You can then export the MIDI file and import it into scoring software like MuseScore (free).

Of course, as stanron points out, just generating a page of notes doesn't guarantee it will be correct, or in notation that makes sense for how you would actually play the piece. You'd likely have to know what you were doing to clean things up a bit afterwards anyway.
Old 06-09-2020, 03:02 AM

This video might help your songwriting.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write