The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-08-2021, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
The only one I’ve ever had was the Zoom H2n and I liked it pretty well . I’m leaning toward another Zoom product because I like their stuff but thought I’d seek the opinions of the wise first.

Thoughts?
Hi sv
When you say 'Field Recorder' are you looking for hybrid (mics built in) or pure field recorder (only an interface)?

I'll mention 2 I like…and two which are same companies but more capable models.

I like the Zoom F-6 for features and the 32bit float, size and portability.

I like the Sound Devices MixPre 3-II (though I'd happily use a version I). Reliability and serviceability are big with Sound Devices. I do not like only 3 channels in, but it does have a big brother.

Both offer multiple XLR inputs.

The movie/video industry favors Sound Devices (appropriately so). More rugged and durable, and easy for find in Rental houses.

If I were forced to upgrade TODAY I'd go the Zoom F-6. If I needed/wanted both XLR and ¼" inputs (and more of them) I'd step up to the Zoom F-8n version II (latest). The Sound Devices equivalent is $1600 the Mix-pre 10.

Currently I still use my Zoom H-4n as my field recorder interface and record to with external mics. I record to it's internal card. The XLR in and phantom power are adequate for anything I've needed to record in the field till now.

The noise floor has also been adequate for my needs.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-17-2021, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

Currently I still use my Zoom H-4n as my field recorder interface and record to with external mics. I record to it's internal card. The XLR in and phantom power are adequate for anything I've needed to record in the field till now.

The noise floor has also been adequate for my needs.

Thank you for the input Larry. I ended up going with the H4n (not the PRO version) just because I need something that sounds good but is a good tool for quick sketches and such. The PRO does have a demonstrably lower noise floor but I'm not a PRO- so I purchased accordingly.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I have a few different recorders for various uses. My small "field recorder" is a Tascam DR-05 which is small enough to carry in a shirt pocket, sounds good, and is very solid and well built.

I had the Zoom equivalent, the H1, prior to purchasing the DR-05 and disliked it. It felt cheap and had controls on the sides which were extremely difficult to use. Owner feedback for the original H1 must have been bad, as they re-designed it to make it much more user-friendly.
I agree. The Tascam feels more professional grade, even though it isnt. I do like the control algorithms, which carry over to their multi-tracs. I had (and really liked) the DR-05, and upgraded to a DR-40 ONLY to gain the XLR mic input options, which to this day, have never been used.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-18-2021, 09:36 PM

Do any of these recording shavers facilititate overdubbing just with the device itself? Or would they need to be connected to software on a PC/Mac for that? I'm thinking, for example, playing over a backing track.

Many Zoom devices seem to come with software packages and some effects.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-19-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Do any of these recording shavers facilititate overdubbing just with the device itself? Or would they need to be connected to software on a PC/Mac for that? I'm thinking, for example, playing over a backing track.

Many Zoom devices seem to come with software packages and some effects.
The Tascam DR-05 has a built in overdub feature. Many of the hand held recorders offer the option, but it's not as easy to get a good balance between instruments as when using a small recorder that's designed to do overdubs easily.

If you want to do much of that I'd suggest something like the Zoom R8 recorder which multi-tracks easily and is similar to using an old cassette deck in it's ease of use.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Thank you for the input Larry. I ended up going with the H4n (not the PRO version) just because I need something that sounds good but is a good tool for quick sketches and such. The PRO does have a demonstrably lower noise floor but I'm not a PRO- so I purchased accordingly.
Hi sv

My Zoom H4n (not pro) goes with me everywhere. If I'm just wanting to throw up a tripod and record my son-n-I when visiting them, it does a great job.

I've even recorded player/singer (songwriter) parts for a wedding and a retirement party where the person was involved in the process so they could not sing.

My Zoom H4 (predecessor to the H4n) was used, and the recordings still sound great (just listened to them a week ago).

I also use my H4n with XLR mics for capturing audio for video work. It's easy to use, and reliable (plus it provides full 48v phantom power). Great for interview capture with overhead shotgun mics.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification