The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-10-2020, 03:01 AM

Question EAE Stompmix 4 alternatives

Hi guys, this is my first post here.
I'm a singer-songwriter and recently invested in a Fishman Rare Earth blend to better capture some of the percussive elements in my playing.

I read some posts about the Elite Acoustics Stompmix on here with mixed feelings. It seems like an interesting piece of gear for me to combine my magnetic, mic and potentially on-board piezo signal to make a perfect stereo mix which I could feed to the sound guy. I could even add my vocal mic and have complete control over the mix in a small package. Now before I pull the trigger on this I'm looking into the alternatives. Here's what I found so far and I'd love to hear your perspective:

1) Bose T4S: more I/O options, more expensive and bulkier. Possibly overkill with respect to features?
2) A small analog mixer with onboard FX (Mackie, Behringer,...): Cheaper but lacks some functions and bulkier, probably more I/O options
3) A dedicated acoustic guitar preamp which allows to combine multiple signals: dedicated to acoustic guitars with all sorts of sonic options but limited to two signals and generally doesn't allow panning the signals.

What do you experts on here think?
Old 09-10-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut View Post
Hi guys, this is my first post here.
I'm a singer-songwriter and recently invested in a Fishman Rare Earth blend to better capture some of the percussive elements in my playing.

I read some posts about the Elite Acoustics Stompmix on here with mixed feelings. It seems like an interesting piece of gear for me to combine my magnetic, mic and potentially on-board piezo signal to make a perfect stereo mix which I could feed to the sound guy. I could even add my vocal mic and have complete control over the mix in a small package. Now before I pull the trigger on this I'm looking into the alternatives. Here's what I found so far and I'd love to hear your perspective:

1) Bose T4S: more I/O options, more expensive and bulkier. Possibly overkill with respect to features?
2) A small analog mixer with onboard FX (Mackie, Behringer,...): Cheaper but lacks some functions and bulkier, probably more I/O options
3) A dedicated acoustic guitar preamp which allows to combine multiple signals: dedicated to acoustic guitars with all sorts of sonic options but limited to two signals and generally doesn't allow panning the signals.

What do you experts on here think?
I own the EAE stompmix4 and love it.
You have to know that only 2 inputs have gain. The other 2 are line-level inputs.

Combining
* magnetic,
* mic and
* potentially on-board piezo
* Vocal mic

makes four inputs with gain required! not two!

Here is a quote fro Sweetwater Knowledge Base
Quote:
Differences Between Signal Levels
  • Mic Level: Mic level is the voltage of signal generated by a microphone. This is the lowest, or weakest, level signal of the four and requires a preamplifier to bring it up to line level.
  • Instrument Level: Instrument level signals fall between mic level (lower) and line level (higher) signals. These signals refer to any level put out by an instrument, commonly from an electric guitar or bass. A preamplifier is required to bring the signal up to line level.
  • Line Level: Line level signals are the highest level signals before amplification. This is the type of signal that typically flows through your recording system after the preamplifier stage and before the amplifier that powers your speakers. The two types of line levels are consumer and professional.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 09-10-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
I own the EAE stompmix4 and love it.
You have to know that only 2 inputs have gain. The other 2 are line-level inputs.

Combining
* magnetic,
* mic and
* potentially on-board piezo
* Vocal mic

makes four inputs with gain required! not two!

Here is a quote fro Sweetwater Knowledge Base

Hi Cuki, thanks for your comment. I read some of your posts and reviews of the Stompbox too.

Just to clarify, I'm using a Fishman Rare Earth blend and Godin Quantum built-in piezo system. Both are active pickup systems although the Rare Earth doesn't have a volume control (only blend). I figured that the piezo could go into the line input and the magnetic Fishman too since it's the 'hotter' of the two Fishman signals. The Fishman mic and optional vocal mic (after passing through a TC Helicon vocal effects pedal could go in the mic inputs.

Would you think this could work?

For larger gigs I intend to use my Kemper Profiler for fx and amp and cab simulation. Sending the magnetic Fishman pickup to the input and blending in the mic and piezo as a stereo loop into the KPA after having processed and blended those two signals in the Stompmix (both mic inputs could be used). I'd then send the Kemper stereo out to the board and my vocals directly from my fx pedal also stereo out to the board. I've tested this with my old, large and bulky analog mixer to blend the mic and piezo before going to the KPA and it works like a charm.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:49 AM

So that's a different setup than I first
thought. You want to split the mag/mic
signal and blend the mic feed
with the piezo??
Old 09-10-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
So that's a different setup than I first
thought. You want to split the mag/mic
signal and blend the mic feed
with the piezo??
Yes. The mag and mic can be split using a stereo cable and I want to explore the added sonic relevance of the piezo. My aim is to run amp/cab sim (and some OD) on the mag signal whereas the mic and piezo come in after the amp but prior to verb and delay (which is possible using the stereo loop on the KPA). It's inspired by how Jon Gomm and Mike Dawes manage their signal chains. Here is an example of how Mike Dawes uses a Bose T8S to get al his signals mixed: https://youtu.be/6165kqKto3A
Old 09-10-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Would you think this could work?
I am not sure it would work. It's not because a system is active that it actually amplifies the signal to line level.

Many "active preamps" are actually buffers with 0dB gain because the voltage produced by a piezo is already at instrument level but with inappropriate impedance. The buffer is just there to match the impedance.

They might amplify but not at line-level... For example, a guitar with a PRO +4dB line level output would probably overdrive most commerical acoustic amps on the market. Especially since so many acoustic amps have no gain pots nowadays with fixed input gain stages.

If you use a TC pedal for the mic, it might have a line level output (ex: TC play acoustic) that you could plug into one the line level input of the stompmi4.

Then you have 2 gain inputs that can be dedicated to the piezo & the mag pickup.

In this cas you would be left with one line level input unused....
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 09-10-2020, 02:38 PM

Another option is a used BOSE T1 mixer or NOS as many stores still have this older model.

It has 4 channels, with XLR - 1/4" combo jacks on each channel, phantom power, great EQ and FX, and savable scenes. I bought one just because I have to use certain Bose systems at one of my house gigs, and despite me not really liking the sound of many Bose products, I fell in love with this little mixer! You can set different effects for every channel and surprisingly, the FX sound pretty good! And it has direct outs on every channel for recording! Or for sending individual channels to a house soundman!

Check the reviews and you'll see many people feel the same way about! But if you do buy the T1, you will need the companion power supply unless used with a BOSE L1 system.
Old 09-11-2020, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
Another option is a used BOSE T1 mixer or NOS as many stores still have this older model.

It has 4 channels, with XLR - 1/4" combo jacks on each channel, phantom power, great EQ and FX, and savable scenes. I bought one just because I have to use certain Bose systems at one of my house gigs, and despite me not really liking the sound of many Bose products, I fell in love with this little mixer! You can set different effects for every channel and surprisingly, the FX sound pretty good! And it has direct outs on every channel for recording! Or for sending individual channels to a house soundman!

Check the reviews and you'll see many people feel the same way about! But if you do buy the T1, you will need the companion power supply unless used with a BOSE L1 system.
Thanks for the tip! I'd already looked into to the T1 since it's at about the same price point as the stompmix. I believe there are 3 xlr/jack inputs and one pair of stereo line inputs. The main drawback for me was the lack of PAN controls which I need to create a wider stereo image. I could maybe circumvent that by using the AUX and Master out as a stereo pair? Secondly, the FX and EQ options seem great but I have a bit more faith in EAE in that respect because they specialize in acoustic guitars. For instance the option to switch polarity/phase is a small feature that could make a big tonal difference.
Old 09-11-2020, 04:05 AM

Quote:
The main drawback for me was the lack of PAN controls which I need to create a wider stereo image. I could maybe circumvent that by using the AUX and Master out as a stereo pair?
I had the T1, it's a mono unit. It was meant for the Bose L1 that is mono.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 09-11-2020, 04:39 AM

Quote:
I had the T1, it's a mono unit. It was meant for the Bose L1 that is mono.
Interesting, how would you compare the two with respect to the other features (fx, EQ)? And could you not make a 'L' mix for the aux output and an 'R' mix for the main out to create a stereo signal?
Old 09-11-2020, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Interesting, how would you compare the two with respect to the other features (fx, EQ)? And could you not make a 'L' mix for the aux output and an 'R' mix for the main out to create a stereo signal?
I don’t remember trying to tweak to get pseudo “stereo” but I have read many times that being mono was the biggest drawback.

I remember clearly that I liked a lot the T1 and was ready to sell the Bose L1mII without but the guy who bought my L1mII really wanted the T1 so I let it go...

I think I like the EAE better But Mostly because it is so small and easy to use.

However at the time I had the L1 I did not have the understanding about tone, EQ, frequencies... it was before the IR quest so my ears were not trained by Doug Young’s feedback yet!

So I remember getting lost in the EQ menu and struggling With frequency, gain and Q to get what I wanted.

you can not really go wrong with each but I am not sure either of them will do what you want...
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 09-11-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I don’t remember trying to tweak to get pseudo “stereo” but I have read many times that being mono was the biggest drawback.

I remember clearly that I liked a lot the T1 and was ready to sell the Bose L1mII without but the guy who bought my L1mII really wanted the T1 so I let it go...

I think I like the EAE better But Mostly because it is so small and easy to use.

However at the time I had the L1 I did not have the understanding about tone, EQ, frequencies... it was before the IR quest so my ears were not trained by Doug Young’s feedback yet!

So I remember getting lost in the EQ menu and struggling With frequency, gain and Q to get what I wanted.

you can not really go wrong with each but I am not sure either of them will do what you want...
My ears could use some extra training too I'd already noticed the Stompmix is probably simpler to operate for someone not yet really proficient in all kinds of EQ'ing. On the other hand I think the Bose T4S will probably cover all of my current and future needs so I might want to spend some extra cash and just go for that one. Bulkier, but lot's of I/O, EQ and FX options + doubles as an audio interface.
Old 09-11-2020, 01:31 PM

Quote:
On the other hand I think the Bose T4S will probably cover all of my current and future needs so I might want to spend some extra cash and just go for that one. Bulkier, but lot's of I/O, EQ and FX options + doubles as an audio interface.
For sure Bose T4S covers most people needs. Most digital mixers don't have proper gain knobs unlike Bose Tonematch mixers.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 12-21-2020, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Also a singer/songwriter solo act. I purchased the StompMix4 and it has surpassed my expectations. It is a fantastic sounding little mixer, and tone shaping and effects sound very good. I liked it so much I sold my larger Alto Live. Beyond just its portability, it is just a very versatile and great sounding piece of gear.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:28 PM

Default Behringer Flow 8

This might be an alternative.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
elite acoustics, stompmix 4