The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-05-2017, 03:44 PM

Default Check these out! Interesting and very affordable dual and 3 source pickup systems?

I know some of you are already aware of these, because I saw a couple of old posts mentioning them that never seemed to garner a whole lot of interest or comments, but wanted to share these anyway...

Here is the first one:

Skysonic Pro-1 (a 3 way soundhole pickup with magnetic, condenser mic, and sound board transducer all incorporated into one design) as cheap as $198.00 on ebay. $249 if you want to buy it from the american distributor, Eden Guitars... where I suppose a return would be easier, but you'll pay a 20% restocking fee. Also a pretty comprehensive video below that shows all the features of the pickup.

Here is a picture of the second one with a link to a $149.89 eBay listing... and yes, it's a Chinese seller. If you look at the picture below... is that the actual tiny condenser mic sticking out of the edge? It looks like the mic itself is actually detachable and just plugs into the 3.5mm input on the left side of the pickup... strange design, kind of cool, but never seen a mini condenser that connects that way before...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RANGO-MAG-05...53.m1438.l2649

I found these two pickups on eBay. They have both piqued my interest, but like everyone else, I am cautious and reticent at the same time. Although, I likely know what the answer might be, I wanted to ask everyone's thoughts opinions on these anyway, as I was contemplating rolling the dice on one.
Anyone taken a risk and tried one out?

So, I know these are both made in China (as most stuff is these days, even if it has a recognized brand name), which instantly raises all the typical questions of reliability and quality. At the end of the day, I guess its a crap shoot. I don't suppose there's anyway you're going to know unless you just bite the bullet and try one out because you can't really "try before you buy" on something like this. The big minus being, if the quality and/or sound is crap, you're going to have a tough time returning it to a Chinese based shipper, and the resale if you wanted to flip it would be next to nothing because it isn't a familiar brand name product.

Both designs look interesting as far as features and bang for the buck. I suspect they are both made by the same manufacturer and just re-branded with different product names.

If Fishman or Baggs made either of these, they would likely be priced at $400+, even if they were designed in the US, but still made in China. Of course those companies both have well earned reputations for quality and that's a big part of what you pay for... I get it.
I actually don't have a big issue with buying something designed and made in China as long as its decent for what it costs and is a good value for what I paid for it. Obviously, we all know that sometimes isn't the case with stuff made in the far east...

Just thought I'd throw these out there and ask what you guys think...

Please feel free to chime in, would like to know your thoughts, negative or positive...

Last edited by chris6120; 10-05-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 10-05-2017, 04:00 PM

The Skysonic seems pretty legit and that Rango looks awesome but I can't find jack about the brand or model besides that it's available on eBay. That part makes me nervous to try it but I like that is resembles a wooden Sunrise with a mic.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 10-05-2017, 05:02 PM

MrErikJ,
Yeah, at least there's an online video of the Skysonic Pro-1 and a little information to go on.

I can't find any info on the Rango pickup outside of eBay, but I do think it looks pretty cool. I like the wood finish, the mid cut control, the blending options, and the unusual "plug in" condenser mic is interesting...although I question how good the quality of a mic that just plugs in like that could be. I don't really know since I don't have a good frame of reference.

Someone here on the forum needs to roll the dice on one of these and report back on their experience. Maybe it will be me, I dunno...

I suppose it could be either a surprising "good bang for the buck" experience... or a cautionary tale of "you get what you pay for". Hard to say...

Last edited by chris6120; 10-05-2017 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-06-2017, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris6120 View Post
MrErikJ,
Yeah, at least there's an online video of the Skysonic Pro-1 and a little information to go on.

I can't find any info on the Rango pickup outside of eBay, but I do think it looks pretty cool. I like the wood finish, the mid cut control, the blending options, and the unusual "plug in" condenser mic is interesting...although I question how good the quality of a mic that just plugs in like that could be. I don't really know since I don't have a good frame of reference.

Someone here on the forum needs to roll the dice on one of these and report back on their experience. Maybe it will be me, I dunno...

I suppose it could be either a surprising "good bang for the buck" experience... or a cautionary tale of "you get what you pay for". Hard to say...
Schertler have exactly the same sort of plug in mic available for their well respected Magentico AG6 pickup:

https://secure.schertler.com/en_IT/shop/pickups/s-mic-m
Old 10-06-2017, 07:41 AM

Hiya, I'm the fellow who did the review you shared. The Skysonic is still performing well and getting A LOT of use. Would still highly recommend it.

Fingerstyle Guitar ~ Hammered Dulcimer ~ Clawhammer Banjo ~ Diatonic Harmonica ~ Anglo Concertina

Old 10-06-2017, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood nacho View Post
Hiya, I'm the fellow who did the review you shared. The Skysonic is still performing well and getting A LOT of use. Would still highly recommend it.
Fantastic review! Could you clarify something? At one point you mentioned gluing the SBT, but then showed double sided tape. I stay away from K&K because of the superglue. Could you confirm that this PU uses tape, not glue?

Also, it sounds great on the video, but its always hard to tell in youtube videos. What's your take on it vs other pickups you've used?

Also, I swung over to your youtube page. Wowzers! Fantastic performances!! I LOVED the Take 5 rendition.

thanks much
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 10-06-2017, 12:53 PM

Hey Curtis,

I didn't know you were a member here and didn't know you were the same guy that posted that review of the Pro-1 on youtube. I used the search function and saw your old thread about the Skysonic, but didn't put 2 and 2 together.

Thanks for chiming in here. By the way, I checked out some of your clips on youtube and you are a talented player... nice stuff.

I think I'm going to buy one of these from Eden Guitars. There is an overseas seller offering them $50 cheaper on ebay, but that makes me a bit weary.

I just sent you a PM, so check your in box when you have time
Old 10-06-2017, 01:07 PM

Oh yeah,

like stevecuss mentioned, I also want to know if that SBT on the Skysonic Pro-1 can attach securely with the sticky side of the transducer or if you had to use something extra like glue?
Old 10-06-2017, 01:32 PM

That was a great review video. One of the most comprehensive I have heard for an acoustic guitar pickup. Thanks.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 10-06-2017, 04:17 PM

So, I just sprang for the Skysonic Pro-1 on eBay. Eden guitars accepted my best offer.

I'll report back on everything when I receive it and spend some time with it.

Would still be curious to know what you guys think about the Rango brand pickup shown in my original post...

Last edited by chris6120; 10-07-2017 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 02:47 AM

Another video review of the Skysonic (from Acoustic Magazine) here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBC9r2_Je0o
Old 10-07-2017, 11:00 AM

The Skysonic looks very interesting and the price seems reasonable. Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-07-2017, 11:30 AM

yes...awesome review. thanks. and your music on your youtube videos are so so good. very talented and creative.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 10-07-2017, 11:41 AM

yes...awesome review. thanks. and your music on your youtube videos are so so good. very talented and creative.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 04-17-2021, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
"Nice review. I like the Skysonic. It wouldn't change my main system with the ToneDexter. But it might be a nice fun option for my travel guitar which is a GS-Mini. No real sense in modeling that guitar. Plus, for travel, I wouldn't carry around the ToneDexter rig. The GS Mini has a Fishman Rare Earth mag in it now. This might be a more robust amplification option."
I ordered one through AliExpress, the Chinese Amazon (sort of). It was about 40% of the price of the unit on Amazon. Usually takes quite a while to get here from there. But I'm not in a hurry. I got an email that it shipped.

Last edited by Marshall; 04-19-2021 at 08:13 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification