The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-10-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I am a huge fan of the Washburn and Alvarez guitars at GC.
So much so that I purchased a Washburn at a time that I had no need for another guitar. Just liked it so much I had to have it.
The price was amazing for such a great guitar.
This is coming from a guy that also has a D-35 Martin and a D-55 Guild.

I highly recommend giving Washburn a try.
I'm really, really glad to see Washburn getting some love around AGF lately. I have been a proponent of their guitars for a while now... and I *honestly* can't believe how good some of them sound.. despite that they're laminate, produced in various places overseas, etc etc. I feel like the top on mine must be *paper* thin, with how responsive it is.. the lightest touch and it just explodes.

anyway, cheers! very happy to read this thread. I also would HIGHLY recommend Washburn above just about EVERY other brand in the 3-700 price range. Anything under that goes to Yamaha. Anything above that, save up a bit more and get one of the big 3, or equivalent. (Martin Taylor Gibson etc). In particular, i've heard GREAT things about Washburn's "comfort" series... and have personal experience with 2 of their "rarewood" anniversary models which are/were quite literally some of the best guitars I've ever owned.

-SC
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 01-19-2019, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephystar View Post
FYI, you can search your local stores inventory online first to see what they have in stock. Might save or prompt a trip.
I've done this, only to find that a guitar that was supposedly in inventory wasn't. I asked about a particular used guitar that I couldn't find after seeing it online and the salesman said that the inventory data takes a day or two to be updated on the website.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:25 PM

Of the three builders you commented on, I can say noting negative. My first serious acoustic was a Washburn and it was very nice. Washburn is really upping their game in the $400 - $800 range. I've only played guitars in Breedlove's Oregon Series, so I don't know how the models made in China perform, but I've played (and own) some really nice guitars made in China, so I would think Breedloves fall into that group. Of the three I think Seagull might be the best value. The S6 is almost iconic at this point and Seagull gets amazing sound out of them for the price.

Let your ears guide you and enjoy; beyond these three there are quite a number of excellent builders offering product in the sub $1,000 range.

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 01-21-2019, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
my philosophy is -play before you pay
+1. And, as others have mentioned, GC's 45-day return policy is guilt-free. If you can swing it, buy 2 or 3 guitars at once, then return the one(s) you don't want to keep. This allows a proper comparison, over several days of playing, in different rooms, etc.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion