The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-23-2019, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Default QSC CP series

I got an electronic add from ZZounds about the 'new QSC CP series' and wondered whether any of you have any experiences with this part of the line. From the add this looks promising but I wanted to check with the collective wisdom here. Thanks for any insights.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
I got an electronic add from ZZounds about the 'new QSC CP series' and wondered whether any of you have any experiences with this part of the line. From the add this looks promising but I wanted to check with the collective wisdom here. Thanks for any insights.
They seem to be getting great reviews. I have spoken to a few QSC dealers and I get the impression that the CP line is very much based on the original, now discontinued K series. I feel like QSC didn't really want to scrap the original K series since they were/are so good so they decided to keep using that technology and make a more affordable version. I am very much interested in the CP8. Seems like a great stage monitor but also personal PA for smaller venues. Even the CP12 is insanely light.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:28 PM

I've been gigging with a single CP8 high and behind since last October. It replaced a larger and heavier Yamaha DBR10 which had replaced an even larger and heavier QSC K10. All three did the job well for us (two vocals, two guitars or guitar and bass) and the CP8 is by far the easiest to transport.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 02-23-2019, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

An earlier thread about the QSC CP series:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=523678
Old 02-24-2019, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the helpful responses, it looks like these may be a great option.
Old 02-24-2019, 08:07 AM

8 inch speaker seems really interesting. I've been using 10 inch altos, wouldn't mind a smaller set.

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor
Old 02-24-2019, 08:53 AM

It all depends what it is you want to accomplish. I have two CP8s and they are perfect for me. They are dead quiet, sound amazing, weigh little and take up limited space. I had checked out Alto, EV and Yamaha offerings and settled on the QSCs (but never looked at the QSC K series).

Last edited by Daniel Grenier; 02-24-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:04 AM

From what I've read about their frequency response, they are not as "dead flat" response as the new K.2 series. But, they seem to sounds as good as most everything else on the market.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:18 AM

I can't comment about these speakers specifically, but can endorse the idea of 8" speakers for acoustic guitar and vocals; there's no reason to use anything bigger unless you add instruments which require more low end than is produced by a guitar or by vocals. I have been very satisfied with EV ZxA1 units used for FOH and as monitors. They weigh only 19 lbs each.

https://www.electrovoice.com/product.php?id=1004
Old 02-24-2019, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
From what I've read about their frequency response, they are not as "dead flat" response as the new K.2 series. But, they seem to sounds as good as most everything else on the market.
When the k.2 series came out, I was like a lot of other people who wanted to "upgrade" from my original K series. I a/b'd the K12 with the K12.2 and actually found that the K12 had a fuller sound than the new versions. The new ones also had a type of high end/mid range that maybe made them cut better but they were not as warm. When I initially spoke to dealers about the K.2 series, I got nothing but praise and a push to upgrade. However, recently I mentioned to a few dealers that I actually find the original K's to have a fuller bottom end and I was surprised to find out that most of them agreed and they even told me that a lot of customers are noticing this.

This is not to say that the new K.2 series is not as good, but I agree that they are more balanced. For me though, the originals just sound a lot more full and with the deep setting, you can get a ton of bass out of them which I like. The fact that the CP series is based closely on the original K's makes me think that they are a killer speaker for the price.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:53 PM

We A-B tested the CP8 vs the DBR10, before the DBR10 left to eBay. The CP8 is a better sounding bass amp and I checked the specs (I am skeptical of all specs) and they seem to reinforce our conclusion.

In general you can't predict bass response on speaker size alone. Enclosure design and speaker throw also factor into the end result.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 02-25-2019, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

We surely seem to be living in a golden age for PA systems. They keep getting better, lighter, and less expensive. Thanks to all who responded. I have no practical need for another speaker, but when has that stopped any of us from buying more gear!?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification