The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-25-2018, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Another victim of Gibson marketing bs. Frampton must be hurting for money to sell his name like this, as if he is going into a recording studio with one just like yours.

If you want to hear a real Epiphone Texan, you need to hunt down a 64 or 65.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 11-26-2018, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
If you want to hear a real Epiphone Texan, you need to hunt down a 64 or 65.
I agree and 64’ and 65’ models are not necessarily difficult to find or relatively expensive. In fact less than a month ago there was a exemplary example on reverb or eBay with a serial number just a few digits away from framptons for less than 3k.

I had high hopes for this, I didn’t get a McCartney when they came out even though I had an opportunity to get a new Bozeman model for less than retail and I just crossed my fingers these would be as nice as the Japanese models. I didn’t buy it to play it, my plan was/is to get Frampton to sign it at Gruhns or Carters here in Nashville and sell it when he dies.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdjr View Post
I recently purchased the Epi Frampton Texan premium package. I’m very disappointed with the sound of this instrument. Very thin sounding, lacks any bass response, and has heavy mids. I have othe Epi Masterbilts, as well as Martins and Taylor’s. For the price (2X+ my other Masterbilts), I really expected a better guitar. Has anyone else bought? I’d love to get their take on it. Thx
From the specs it appears to be identical to the Epiphone Inspired by Texan except for the pickup and finish. I have played the Inspired By Texan and it did nothing for me, I'm also not a fan of the Sonitone pickup technology Epiphones used in that model. I've not heard of the pickup but from the description is sounds like a version of the LR Baggs Anthem SL, if that's the case that's probably where the big price hike is coming from. That's a great pickup planted in a not so great guitar in this case. I'm curious have you tried in plugged in? It may be a great stage guitars but just not very good unplugged.

The Inspired by Texan model has a lot of fans and I imagine that model will as well, so if it's not doing anything for you sell and move on

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 11-26-2018, 02:42 PM

According to the the specs, the Frampton Texan Has solid back and sides, whereas the normal IB Texan has a solid back only. Also of note is how much closer the bridge pins sit to the back of the bridge. I suspect a slight change in the top bracing.

Steve
1982 Fender Stratocaster Dan Smith with custom Mahogany Hardtail body.
1984 Ibanez JA500 Jumbo acoustic.
1994 Gibson J100 Xtra.
2008 Stanford Performer PSOM-10CEQ.
2017 Fender Telecaster 1961 replica in LPB.
2017 Faith Blood Moon Neptune.
2021 Martin OOO-15M.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

In any event, I would not buy a sixties Gibson product unplayed. The later they are, the more inconsistent. I played a 68 Texan that was no where near the guitar mine is.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
epiphone, peter frampton