The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-17-2016, 08:04 PM

Default Help with Learning to Record Acoustic Fingerstyle Guitar in Garageband..

Hi:

I am looking for suggestions of a course, manual, basic guide, etc. that I can use to learn GarageBand mainly for the purpose of recording finger style guitar. I am also trying to learn how to use it across Mac and IOS Platforms with iCloud Drive. My searches have led to multiple ways of recording almost anything.

I am hoping to narrow it down to a reasonable useful amount tailored to my goals. I have very little experience recording and am trying to get a good recording but not become a recording professional. I feel overwhelmed by all the loops, plugins, additional instruments, etc. I really just want to learn what is needed to make a decent acoustic finger style guitar recording with minimum learning curve. I would like to try and keep it fun.

My Set-up
MacBook Pro - Apogee Duet 2 / Maestro (will use 2 condenser microphones/tracks simultaneously). Will also record vocals and acoustic guitar. Have Apogee Maestro to set levels

IOS
Using Apogee 96k mic + garageband direct (only plan to use for on the fly "idea" stuff

At my level, it would be helpful to learn the basics and get some type of understanding of what exactly "mixing" is (not to mention if this is done in GarageBand or Maestro). The Apogee site describes "latency" as a need to use the mixer in Maestro but does not refer to GarageBand.

I sure appreciate any help and please do not feel "basic" is bad. I would be really happy with pictures and arrows.

Just a guy who loves to play guitar!
Old 02-18-2016, 09:45 AM

Hello Dave,
What version of GarageBand will you be using ("GarageBand" in menu bar > About Garageband)? This info will help people guide you through the GB interface.
Mixing is essentially setting volume levels, establishing your mono or stereo image (panning) and adding effects i.e. reverb, EQ, compression, etc.. Mixing is done in your DAW (recording software like GarageBand). I'm including a link to another current thread here in the recording forum of AGF. If you scroll down you'll come to a video that outlines ways to do punch-ins in Garageband thereby saving time and frustration when actually recording takes. For a more step by step approach try searching MacForMusicians on youtube and other Garageband centred tutorial series there.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=419473
Good luck!
Old 02-18-2016, 03:09 PM

Default Verizon of GarageBand

Hi Trevor

Thank you for your guidance. It looks like I am using GatageBand 11 Version 6.0.5 (428.5). However, I am getting a prompt to download/buy v10 which is confusing because the App Store leads me to Version 10.1. Does this make sense to you?

Thanks again

Old 02-18-2016, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveman View Post
Hi Trevor

Thank you for your guidance. It looks like I am using GatageBand 11 Version 6.0.5 (428.5). However, I am getting a prompt to download/buy v10 which is confusing because the App Store leads me to Version 10.1. Does this make sense to you?

Thanks again
Yes, it makes sense because many software programs contain glitches and bugs that need to be ironed out in their initial releases. So GB 10.1 is likely the upgraded (read improved) version of GB 10. I have GB 11, 6.0.5 on my old 2010 MacBook and GB 10.1 on my much newer MacBook Pro and have used both so whichever version you choose to go with I can probably help you get started.
Either version will work for you based on your OP. GB 10.1 looks a lot more like Logic Pro X, which is a fully professional recording/mixing app, while the older version looks......well, not like Logic Pro. The newer version also has a drummer component and a different, fleshed out approach to plug-ins and effects. For $6.99 or thereabouts 10.1 strikes me as a good deal but it really depends on whether you need or will use the added/improved features of the upgrade.
You might want to check out another forum specific to Apple recording software called logicprohelp. http://www.logicprohelp.com
There's a GarageBand section as part of the Forum and the two main experts, David Nahmani and Eric Cardenas are very knowledgable and helpful.
Keep us posted re: what version you decide to go with.
All the Best,
Trevor
Old 02-18-2016, 05:46 PM

in addition to trevor's excellent recommendation of logicprohelp, apple has its own garageband discussion section that you may want to join.

https://discussions.apple.com/commun...ife/garageband

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-18-2016, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Yes, it makes sense because many software programs contain glitches and bugs that need to be ironed out in their initial releases. So GB 10.1 is likely the upgraded (read improved) version of GB 10. I have GB 11, 6.0.5 on my old 2010 MacBook and GB 10.1 on my much newer MacBook Pro and have used both so whichever version you choose to go with I can probably help you get started.
Either version will work for you based on your OP. GB 10.1 looks a lot more like Logic Pro X, which is a fully professional recording/mixing app, while the older version looks......well, not like Logic Pro. The newer version also has a drummer component and a different, fleshed out approach to plug-ins and effects. For $6.99 or thereabouts 10.1 strikes me as a good deal but it really depends on whether you need or will use the added/improved features of the upgrade.
You might want to check out another forum specific to Apple recording software called logicprohelp. http://www.logicprohelp.com
There's a GarageBand section as part of the Forum and the two main experts, David Nahmani and Eric Cardenas are very knowledgable and helpful.
Keep us posted re: what version you decide to go with.
All the Best,
Trevor

Hi Trevor
Well since I am really starting from the beginning, my thoughts are to start with the upgraded newer version. Are you aware of whether the IOS versions have also been upgraded (or will operate differently than the new version). Do I need to be concerned with my Apogee Duet 2 having any compatibility issues?

Old 02-18-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveman View Post
Hi Trevor
Well since I am really starting from the beginning, my thoughts are to start with the upgraded newer version. Are you aware of whether the IOS versions have also been upgraded (or will operate differently than the new version). Do I need to be concerned with my Apogee Duet 2 having any compatibility issues?
Hey Dave,
I don't use iOS devices so my knowledge about differences in apps for them is extremely limited. I am aware that there is a free version of GarageBand you can download that claims to have enhanced touch screen capabilities. I don't think you need to worry about the compatibility of your Duet 2 with the GB 10.1. On the other hand, if you change your computers Operating System you might need to reinstall the Maestro firmware. Here's the link to do that should you need it at some point.
http://www.apogeedigital.com/support

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
in addition to trevor's excellent recommendation of logicprohelp, apple has its own garageband discussion section that you may want to join.

https://discussions.apple.com/commun...ife/garageband

play music!
Another great resource!
Old 02-21-2016, 11:13 AM

I discovered a free iBook online by Edgar Rothermich called "GarageBand X, How it Works" and thought it would be a good idea to update this thread with this information and a link. In Daveman's OP he said, "I am looking for suggestions of a course, manual, basic guide, etc. that I can use to learn GarageBand mainly for the purpose of recording finger style guitar." It seems to me that the iBook in the link below is as close as one can get to a user's manual for the most recent versions of GarageBand.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/gar...ign-mpt=uo%3D6

Last edited by Trevor B.; 02-21-2016 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:55 PM

Thanks for the link to the ebook. I've been using Garage Band to record my fingerstyle and vocals and understand very little about the software.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyo View Post
Thanks for the link to the ebook. I've been using Garage Band to record my fingerstyle and vocals and understand very little about the software.
Hope you find the Edgar Rothermich ebook helpful. Here's another resource (also free) from the folks at "the garageband guide".
http://thegaragebandguide.com
Old 02-22-2016, 03:34 PM

Thanks again.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
I discovered a free iBook online by Edgar Rothermich called "GarageBand X, How it Works" and thought it would be a good idea to update this thread with this information and a link. In Daveman's OP he said, "I am looking for suggestions of a course, manual, basic guide, etc. that I can use to learn GarageBand mainly for the purpose of recording finger style guitar." It seems to me that the iBook in the link below is as close as one can get to a user's manual for the most recent versions of GarageBand.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/gar...ign-mpt=uo%3D6
Thank you Trevor!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
finger style, garageband, guitar, record acoustic guitar, recording