The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-14-2020, 05:02 AM
Charter Member

Default Archeology and ghosts

On Sunday, I travelled for about an hour to inspect and buy a used DAW.

The gent selling it lived in a small hamlet some way off the main roads.

I had instructions to get to a church then hone. In fact when I did that he emerged from the bushes and guided me into his drive.

His thatched house was hidden from the road/track, and in the midst of some woodland.

We got talking about the house which was built in the 1400s. Apparently during the English civil war (1640s) the government army (led by General Waller, who later besieged my small city) had camped nearby, and he said the digging vegetables in his garden was always an "archeological" dig" and that he had found neolithic tools and roman coins as well as evidence of habitation throughout the ages.

I jokingly asked if he had any ghosts - and he laughed and said "just a few!"
Piqued my interest, so I asked more.

He said that when in one room it was usual to hear people chatting elsewhere (the house probably only had the one room originally) and that he could make out strange accents but not actually the words.
He also said that they could often hear a young girl singing.

He also said that on some very quite nights the sound one might associate with an army could be heard.
None of these experiences weer unpleasant or scary and his family had simply become accustomed to them.

When I got home I checked the history of the area and discovered that there certainly was an encampment in the area before a particularly bloody and costly battle in the nearby town, and that it was thought that there was a Roman palace in the fields somewhere in the area (common in this part of England).

I'm not particularly into stories about ghosts and such but it does intrigue me that there are things that we don't yet understand - natural recordings or some such.

Do you have any such experiences ? (Maybe I should have started this thread in October!?)
Old 01-14-2020, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

That's what I love about the British Isles- you can't walk 10 feet without tripping over a historical site or a monument to something that happened 700 years ago. So much history in such a relatively small area.

As compared to the vast American west- I live in a small town in which the first brick building was built in 1882. And is considered "old"!
Old 01-14-2020, 05:53 AM

My house is a mere 120 years old here in the American Midwest. However, we've had a few occasions, and heard of some occasions before we bought it some 20 years ago.

They've calmed down in the last few years.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 01-14-2020, 06:36 AM

Personally I think it's all superstition. The imagination is a powerful thing.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:10 AM

I figured out noises in a house made in 1800s were all from temperature and moisture but others did not want to believe that. In that very old house some noise when away when the landlord fixed an outside entrance to basement and part of the foundation. I was not sold on that as an action that took the ghosts away.

The history of a place always interests me and I'll think of what's occurred but I must have the wrong personality or natural wiring to be superstitious. I'll enjoy the stories but go back to thinking we're here for a short time and the rest moves on. When I get some stories I also think of how belief systems and religions there are and still conclude it's all just stories.

As much as I'm not prone to believing I still enjoy the stories and I love visiting old stuff. I just visited one of the oldest buildings in a different country to think about all it's seen or been through as much as be impressed with it still standing.
Old 01-14-2020, 08:09 AM
Charter Member

I have two very professional coworkers - one is a good personal friend.

Both are well educated, analytical logical "science guys". Neither is particularly spiritual or mystical and not overtly religious. They are deeply scientific and factual. One has a master's degree and is Vice President of Engineering.

Each has told me a story of a ghost experience they had - one was fairly benign but spine-tingling, the other was powerfully unsettling.

I'll stop there as I am on the precipice of a conversation I don't want to have but I believe both of these people 100%, without any shadow of a doubt.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 01-14-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
....... (Maybe I should have started this thread in October!?)
With seasonal celebrations getting earlier each year I think now is about right for October 2020.

Years ago, whilst heavily involved with PHAB (Physically handicapped Able Bodied) our group would stay in a stately hall that dated back to the 13th century and like many other buildings of this ilk was extended and converted over many centuries.

The much loved gentleman in charge always stayed in the same room and often said he saw a young girl walking across his room during the night but that she walked a few feet off the ground.

As time went by, we researched the history of the building and discovered that during one conversion the floor to this room had been lowered by 2 feet.

YouTube
Old 01-14-2020, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
On Sunday, I travelled for about an hour to inspect and buy a used DAW.
I have no ghost experiences and have no opinion one way or the other.

But this backed me up up a bit How does one go about buying a "used" DAW ? (we are talking about digital recording software, correct? ) or are you referring to a used recording system with hardware also ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-14-2020, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I have two very professional coworkers - one is a good personal friend.

Both are well educated, analytical logical "science guys". Neither is particularly spiritual or mystical and not overtly religious. They are deeply scientific and factual. One has a master's degree and is Vice President of Engineering.

Each has told me a story of a ghost experience they had - one was fairly benign but spine-tingling, the other was powerfully unsettling.

Reading another reponse reminded me of a third, same background (we all work in similar jobs/industries).......his was an extremely unsettling story and his wife corroborated it. Really, really intense story.

So three friends, not two.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 01-14-2020, 09:20 AM

Default WOW!

I'd ask to come back to play some 'ol folk music in the evening and have a listen for those ghosts! Maybe raise a glass or three
Old 01-14-2020, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I have no ghost experiences and have no opinion one way or the other.

But this backed me up up a bit How does one go about buying a "used" DAW ? (we are talking about digital recording software, correct? ) or are you referring to a used recording system with hardware also ?
See below :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AW16G-8c7bb3ebb10571b68e896c3997f2f3dc.jpg (41.3 KB, 181 views)
Old 01-14-2020, 09:58 AM

I've interviewed people over the years who are dead certain they've seen ghosts. Like fazool's friends, many were very reputable people...symphony conductor, a mayor, business owner, etc... The encounters they've described weren't just "I saw something out of the corner of my eye". They were able to describe what the ghost was wearing and in one case even read the name tag on a uniform. So I'm not sure what I believe. All I know is that these people saw something very clearly that they couldn't explain and I have no reason to believe they were lying or putting us on.
Yamaha FG730S
1950 Epiphone Triumph
Old 01-14-2020, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

Says it all...

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 01-14-2020, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

I'm not particularly spiritual and tend to believe that humans brains have a way of interpreting things that we can't understand.

Not really into unsettled souls and such - but I sometimes wonder if there is some sort of physical circumstance that can duplicate a "singularity" from the past - a sort of "natural tape recording if you will.

I used to live in a flat over an old shop that was built in the early 1800s . every night there would be clear footsteps on the stairs - even if you were standing on them at the time.

Our cat frequently watched an invisible "entity" proceed from one side of the lounge to the other.

The place had a negative vibe and , like my band manager who lived there before me, I was delighted to move out of the place.
Old 01-14-2020, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoMaas View Post
I've interviewed people over the years who are dead certain they've seen ghosts.
Interesting opening sentence. Couldn't help thinking a comma after the word 'dead' would give it a totally different meaning yet still be appropriate for this thread.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic