The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-12-2013, 06:54 PM

Default Where can I buy a bone saddle for an Epiphone PR-150 VS guitar?

I just bought my first acoustic guitar and it is missing the bone saddle so I'll need to buy one.

I'm having a difficult time understanding the measurements.

I measured the slot on my Epiphone PR-150 VS and it looks to be 76mm x 3mm yet all of the options I could find at Guitar Parts websites are too wide.

I reached out to a local guitar shop and they said they can make a custom bone saddle for $120, but I find that to be very expensive.

Can anybody direct me to where I can purchase the exact bone saddle for my guitar?
Old 10-12-2013, 07:48 PM

Firstly, hello & welcome!

Next, was it bought new, or used, without strings? Just curious as to how you ended up with a saddle less guitar.

The dimensions you gave equate to 3" x 1/8". That's pretty standard for many guitars (including my D-28). The only variable left is the radius which should equate roughly to the fretboard radius.

Try another shop, if they have any already in stock they won't be charging you anything like $120. If that fails try StewMac http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_sa...e_saddles.html. I see their bone saddles are longer (> 4"). You could always grind a bit off each end & file it to shape, you'll probably be filing some off the underside anyway to suit your action. In any event you'll only be paying $15 or less for the saddle anyway, probably B compensated as well.

There's a TUSQ one there that looks like it'd fit. How do you know the original was bone, is it in the guitar's specs? TUSQ is a good saddle & nut material, cheap & may save you some trouble looking further afield.

Don't part with $120 before looking at these or other options.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200

Last edited by saxonblue; 10-12-2013 at 08:13 PM. Reason: saddle, not nut!
Old 10-12-2013, 08:07 PM

Hi saxonblue,

Thanks so much for your response. I bought the guitar on craigslist. It actually came with the nut, but no strings, saddle or pins.

The people at Guitar Center(a common shop in California) told me they have the strings and the pin but that the saddle would be harder to find, unless I go with the custom one at $120. They recommended I get a bone saddle since it is supposed to produce better sound. I have been reading the same at various forums online, so therefore I decided to find a bone saddle.

Which of the TUSQ saddles on this page did you recommend? Which Item #? If the nut I currently have is bone, would it be a problem for me to get a TUSQ saddle?
Old 10-12-2013, 08:28 PM

Hi again, my bad, I meant to say saddle, have fixed it.

Item 3557 on that page looked close, not sure how well the radius will match up. (I actually have a spare compensated TUSQ saddle that matches your dimensions exactly which I intend to put on my Suzuki J200 if I ever get around to ditching the adjustable saddle & replacing with a timber infill plus the saddle, another unfinished project, just lazy).

From what I gather the PR 150 is an entry level dreadnought & to me it seems a bit rude & disingenuous of the GC folk to suggest you spending an amount on the saddle way disproportionate to the value of the guitar. Put another way if a TUSQ saddle is good enough for a $2-3K Gibson it's gonna be good enough for your & probably most people's needs. They'll probably be telling you to buy bone bridge pins next. Beware.

Martin D-28
Maton EA808 Australian
Maton EBG808 Performer
Cole Clark FL2-12
Suzuki Kiso J200
Old 10-12-2013, 08:40 PM

My 2 cents, but I would contact Bob Colosi. I outfitted two guitars with bone saddles and pins for less than what your store wants to charge you for one saddle, and his reputation is excellent.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 11-26-2013, 11:39 AM

Wow they got your number!!

I have the same guitar and the saddle in it is plastic. Its not a bad guitar, and no top line one for sure, but they are hell for strong, and are a good beat around guitar. I doupt you would see any benefit from a bone saddle then you would a cheaper one. And frankly... 120 bucks on a bone saddle for a guitar that streets for $119 is over the top.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
My 2 cents, but I would contact Bob Colosi. I outfitted two guitars with bone saddles and pins for less than what your store wants to charge you for one saddle, and his reputation is excellent.
+1 on Bob Colosi. Give him a call, he can probably hook you up with a custom set for less than what you were quoted.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clintj View Post
I will second that 2 cents with 2 cents of my own. I have purchased several saddles from Bob including one for my Yamaha FG-365S.

What a difference they make.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair