The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-12-2013, 08:42 PM

Default substancial Neck Relief by the nut? Should I be worried

Hello All,
I am a first time poster but a long time reader. Quick question. I am in the market for an OM. Looking around at either a Martin OM28V or the like and came across a Huss and Dalton at a local shop. It has substancial neck relief up by the nut. Shouldn't the relief be in the center of the neck? Should I be worried?

The thing is a beauty! But I wanted to get your thoughts on it before I decide either way.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcampbell8 View Post
It has substancial neck relief up by the nut.
How have you determined that it has "substantial neck relief up by the nut"? What does that mean, practically?
Old 02-12-2013, 09:15 PM

you mean high action at the first few frets? assuming it isn't an inch high as well at the higher frets, It's nothing worrisome, other than a poorly cut nut on a very expensive guitar. Which makes me hope it's a botched after market job, because that's inexcusable considering what a H and D sells for.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-13-2013, 09:55 AM

I would look for a crack in the neck or a loose fretboard.

When a fretboard starts separating from the neck up by the nut, it can cause excess relief at the first three frets or so.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Quote:
It has substancial neck relief up by the nut.
How have you determined that it has "substantial neck relief up by the nut"? What does that mean, practically?
I'm confused as well
Old 02-14-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekeM View Post
I'm confused as well
Sorry for the confusion. I mean there is quite a relief up by the nut for the first few frets. The rest of the neck is straight and then it rises as it nears the nut in a sudden manner. It's not your typical relief that I have seen. And yes, I agree that a H + D should not have issues like this(if there is one). Thanks for the replies folks. I will go back and have another look at it. I have never seen this before. I welcome anymore advice..

Another quick question: I have a martin OM28V that has been delayed in coming to the local shop. The only one I have played was a poor neglected and abused one at GC that had a reglued bridge and a crack. It sounded decent. How do you think an standard OM28v(sitka) will sound compared to a huss and dalton Tom-r custom(adi top)? I've been internet stalking them both but there's not much in the way of good sound clips/videos.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
you mean high action at the first few frets? assuming it isn't an inch high as well at the higher frets, It's nothing worrisome, other than a poorly cut nut on a very expensive guitar. Which makes me hope it's a botched after market job, because that's inexcusable considering what a H and D sells for.
No the action is fine.. a little high, but not abnormally so.
Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 PM

Quote:
I mean it suddenly rises as it nears the nut. There is a concaved scoop in the neck towards the 1st three frets.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I mean it suddenly rises as it nears the nut. There is a concaved scoop in the neck towards the 1st three frets.
If you are satisfied with the current action and have examined it to ensure that the neck has no cracks or other "funniness" going on, I guess it is okay.

If it isn't how you want it to play, I'd say either don't buy it or make it a condition of the sale that the store set it up to your satisfaction prior to purchase. If the shop cannot set it up to your satisfaction, one option is to have the guitar reduced in price by the amount of the necessary repair work. If so, take it to a luthier/repair person to have the cost of the work professionally appraised, before buying it.

As you describe it, if it is not some structural problem, it may need the frets removed, the fingerboard dressed, then refretted, a few hundred dollars in repairs. It depends upon whether or not you want that hassle in a new guitar.

Last edited by charles Tauber; 02-15-2013 at 08:17 PM.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
If you are satisfied with the current action and have examined it to ensure that the neck has no cracks or other "funniness" going on, I guess it is okay.

If it isn't how you want it to play, I'd say either don't buy it or make it a condition of the sale that the store set it up to your satisfaction prior to purchase. If the shop cannot set it up to your satisfaction, one option is to have the guitar reduced in price by the amount of the necessary repair work. If so, take it to a luthier/repair person to have the cost of the work professionally appraised, before buying it.

As you describe it, if it is not some structural problem, it may need the frets removed, the fingerboard dressed, then regretted, a few hundred dollars in repairs. It depends upon whether or not you want that hassle in a new guitar.
Thanks so much!!!
Old 02-15-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
it may need the frets removed, the fingerboard dressed, then regretted .
Non, je ne regrette rien ...
Old 02-15-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Non, je ne regrette rien ...
$%#$@# automatic spelling correction....
Old 02-21-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate clark View Post
I would look for a crack in the neck or a loose fretboard.

When a fretboard starts separating from the neck up by the nut, it can cause excess relief at the first three frets or so.
Thanks!! Will do. Planning on heading over there this week again to check it out.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:31 AM

Quote:
I have never seen this before.
Actually, it is not that uncommon on older guitars. The torque produced by the strings bending across the nut can cause it, particularly if the nut area is not reinforced. This is one reason some luthiers who use carbon fiber will run it under the nut, extending all the way into the peghead.
Most of the time, the bend can be addressed by leveling the first couple of frets while the neck is under tension.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
Actually, it is not that uncommon on older guitars. The torque produced by the strings bending across the nut can cause it, particularly if the nut area is not reinforced. This is one reason some luthiers who use carbon fiber will run it under the nut, extending all the way into the peghead.
Most of the time, the bend can be addressed by leveling the first couple of frets while the neck is under tension.
Thanks... This is a new guitar though. It just doesn't sit right with me that there should be such a problem especially in a guitar at this price range. I am waiting on an OM28v to arrive which I haven't had a chance to play yet. It has a sitka top. I really liked the sound of the Huss and Dalton as it reminded me of my adi topped Froggy bottom. I'm also not sure how I am going to like the mod v neck of the OM28v. I had a chance to play a D18 GE with the Mod v neck and I liked it but didnt spend a great amount of time. How much would the fret leveling job run me ballpark?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair