The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-10-2012, 06:07 PM

Default Kluson Tuner Rehab

On Kluson open gear tuners, does anybody know how to remove the string post and with the riveted cog/gear from the baseplate? I am hoping to put together one set of good tuners from two not so great sets.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:15 PM

Default Kluson tuners

I have never done this myself, but I imagine you will need to drill out the rivet from the back side of the tuner, and then somehow install a new rivet in place of the old one. Perhaps silver solder a new brass rivet in place of the old. You might need to actually make the rivet from brass rod or tubing.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:58 PM

Old Klusons are not riveted, they are welded so I don't recommend taking them apart except for removing the tuner posts and gears which is easy. I refabbed a set that were really cruddy by removing the posts and gears and using a Dremel tool to polish off all the crud. Lubed them up and they were good as new.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:51 PM

Most open Klusons with the riveted gears will come apart by tilting the posts. The hole in the baseplate is ovalized on the upper side. Tilt the post away from the string pull direction, and it should come out.
On other riveted gears, I use a small drift punch to drive the post out. Support the baseplate by placing the tuner post between vise jaws, but do not tighten down on the post.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair