The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-03-2010, 04:16 PM

Default body volume of guitar?

Hello again:

I could continue searching, guessing at terms to search for, or ask here...

any idea what the body volume would be for a 1956 Gibson ES-135 (basically an ES-125 with nicer neck)? I never did match my bout width measurements against web specs when I last looked...I CAN measure again, but probably ought to be told where and how to be sure. I seem to recall being 1/2" between two standard sizes, which was not much help.

Non-quantitatively, it's a relatively fat-bodied archtop with no cutaways.

Thank you

Murray
Old 12-06-2010, 12:35 PM

are you asking what the outside physical dimensions are? or the internal volume of the 2 guitars?
Old 12-12-2010, 11:32 PM

Hi:

Internal volume (approximate).

But to describe the body 'size' of the guitar, external measurements are necessary to characterize it. I was talking about taking external measurements to help categorize the guitar in whatever manner would help estimate the volume (I guess width of upper & lower bouts, height of body and thickness of side.

What I want to do is compare the area of the pair of f-holes and the body volume. I'm trying to figure out what I need to learn to understand required sound port area. From there I'll probably want to read about wood and air resonance tuning.

Thanks

Murray
Old 12-13-2010, 05:04 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Tape off the holes. Fill them with water and then pour it out into measuring cups. You will kill the guitars but have the inner peace of knowing
Old 12-14-2010, 09:49 AM

well, you'll probably need the actual guitars for this but what you could do is get a piece of string and lay it or tape it to the outside of the body all around the edges. what you are doing here is finding out the perimeter length. mark your string at the intersection. take the string off and form a circle with it. using the overall thickness of the body now you can calculate volume:

http://www.mathsteacher.com.au/year9...r/cylinder.htm

it's rough but it can get you started. what you are after is a bit complex but it can be done. check out these:

the man on all things acoustic:
http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-M...2343307&sr=1-2

good discussions on air volume and soundhole tuning. nothing on sound ports:
http://www.amazon.com/Tuning-Build-G...2343209&sr=1-1

good luck
Old 12-15-2010, 01:00 AM

Get some old polystyrene which you (hopefully) have lying around somewhere. Break it up into crumbs, fill the guitar, then empty it all out and then see how many litre jugs you can fill.

Pasta might also do the trick. You can use anything really so long as it's light. A heavy filler risks damaging the guitar when you try to tip it back out.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:59 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Pasta might also do the trick. You can use anything really so long as it's light. A heavy filler risks damaging the guitar when you try to tip it back out.
Mix the Pasta with the water I suggested. He might not have an answer but he'll have lunch. If its a Chinese guitar use rice
Old 01-06-2011, 04:05 PM

Rice, huh? Well, it's a Kalamazoo Gibson. Battle Creek isn't far away, so maybe Rice Crispies, or generic Poofied Rice would work.

I was probably on the wrong track anyway. I head the train coming so I got out of the way. I was thinking about the hole area of the two f-holes vs. the guitar's 'size'.

Now I'm more interested in whether archtop guitar wood gets 'tuned' anything like violins...how how to or anything, just a rough concept to understand.

I think reading will probably be more helpful than wondering out loud, but there's a lot of distracting cool stuff out there.

Thanks for humoring me and Happy New Year.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:09 PM

That Arthur Benade book sounds familiar, might be the same text the musical acoustics course I took used, except my book is burgundy/red hardbound from 1976. That's where I read about violin air & wood resonances.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair