The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-09-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Hey Wade, unfortunately I donít know about the upside down left handed player, hopefully someone else knows him. Thanks for sharing that story though it was very interesting and I appreciate it. Also I want to thank you for starting this thread, very thoughtful and neighborly of you. I have been exposed to shops I didnít know about as well. Cheers
Could be Mark at Folkway Music in Waterloo Ontario, plays left handed and right handed upside down. As others have said nice collection of vintage and new guitars, very knowledgeable staff and excellent repairs. Brick House in the Waterloo/Kitchener area as well has also been mentioned, great selection of Furch/Stonebridge instruments.
Old 12-09-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Dave, when I was at the first Fretboard Summit guitar gathering in California a few years ago, I met a Canadian music store owner or manager who was a great left handed guitarist. I first saw him playing a right-handed guitar upside down, the way that Elizabeth Cotton used to play and Bill Staines still plays. A day or two later he was playing a left-handed guitar right side up. And playing it VERY well.

I told him I’d seen him playing like Elizabeth Cotton a day or two earlier, and he laughed and said: “Oh, yeah, that’s my little parlor trick. It’s pretty useful, too, because I can check out the sound and playability of the right-handed guitars we get in the store.”

Then I told him that whenever I’m getting ready to teach a class, workshop or private student that I will pick up my instrument and deliberately play it left-handed, just to remind myself of how awkward and physically painful it is for beginners to get started playing stringed instruments.

He thought a moment and said: “That’s a really good idea. I’m going to tell our teachers at the store to start doing that.”

Anyway, is there any possibility that the guy I met runs Cosmo Music? Left-handed, in his thirties or maybe a very youthful forty, dark haired? He told me the name of the store but I don’t remember what it was. I had heard of the Twelfth Fret before, so if that had been it I would remember.

whm
Mark Stutman of Folkway Music in Waterloo and Guelph is a lefty and I'm pretty sure he did a presentation on L body vintage Gibson acoustics at the first Summit. He also fits the description you gave and is a contributor to FBJ.

Last edited by J-Doug; 12-09-2019 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship of fools View Post
https://www.bluedogguitars.com/?gcli...SAAEgJQM_D_BwE these two kids are just wonderful Wade I know you'd fall in love with the shop and of course these two crazy kids for even opening a shop there are great.
And of course there is Rufus guitar shop. http://www.rufusguitarshop.com/
another wonderful little gem that every once in a while has some great picks.
You must not have checked around very hard while in Vancouver, Wade, if you haven't been to either of these two stores. I've bought from both of them and they are great places to check out. Bluedog has a lot of mid to higher end guitars and Rufus has a good selection of low to mid-priced guitars.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:14 PM

George, I've been to Rufus, I just haven't bought any guitars from them. This thread is the first time I've heard of Blue Dog guitars, though.

I should explain that my heyday of guitar-shopping in Vancouver was some twenty years ago now, when I'd hop a cheap flight from Anchorage on Canada 3000, stay with a friend, hang out for a few days and then buy a Seagull or Simon & Patrick to take back to Alaska with me.

Back then there weren't any Seagull or Simon & Patrick dealers in Alaska, and more importantly from my perspective, the price on instruments by what was then called LaSiDo (now Godin) was the same in both US and Canadian dollars: if the list price on a guitar sold in a Seattle store was $500 USD, then the same guitar's list price in Vancouver was $500 CDN.

In other words, it would depend on the currency exchange rate on any given day, but usually these guitars sold for about three quarters the price in Canada that they sold for in the US.

So I'd fly down, stay with a friend, shop around and either buy a Seagull from Tom Lee Music or a Simon & Patrick from Long & McQuade. Then I'd take the guitar back to Anchorage with me and find a home for it here.

Things have changed a lot since then, including the unexpected, massive and complete collapse of Canada 3000 in November, 2001. All of a sudden it got a lot more expensive to fly from Anchorage to Vancouver. Plus LaSiDo/Godin eliminated its two tier pricing system, and then an Anchorage dealer for all of the guitars made by that manufacturer opened up.

So my up close and personal acquaintance with music stores in the Vancouver area ended around the same time. I still love Vancouver and still try to get there when I can, but it's no longer an annual or semi-annual pilgrimage for me.

Hope that makes more sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 12-11-2019, 11:30 AM

The Acoustic Room in Hamilton is great. Lots of great guitars from Boucher, Cole Clark, Larrivee, etc, plus a nice environment to sit and play. Really knowledgeable owner and from the look of his resume, a really good tech.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion