The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-12-2014, 06:42 PM

Default im confused little toby walker

So I got an email a while back and little Toby walker was running a sale for his birthday (belated cheers bud) apart of this pack was a lesson on deep river blues by doc Watson. I love this song so I grabbed it up and filed it away. No I have finally decided to sit down and learn it. And here is what's puzzling me when I watch his video 1 of the song it sounds pretty much spot on when compared to the recording Doc did for the Smithsonian but when I play the tab it sounds wrong going from the e7 at the 5th fret to an e flat7 (I believe that's the second chord listed) and the pattern doesn't sound quite right. But when I change a few things it sounds correct against both his recording and Docs. I know Toby is using the e flat 7th or whatever it is but it doesn't sound like it and Doc seems to be sliding the e7 up a fret and then back down. I'm so lost lol. It's the strangest thing
Old 08-12-2014, 08:51 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Hi Grim,

Doc actually did it a few different ways over the span of his career. The tab shows the way he generally played it during most of his recordings.

Once you learn the song I've then included a variation with an explanation showing you how to be more creative with the arrangement.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
Hi Grim,

Doc actually did it a few different ways over the span of his career. The tab shows the way he generally played it during most of his recordings.

Once you learn the song I've then included a variation with an explanation showing you how to be more creative with the arrangement.

Hope that helps.
I figured you had worked it out from a different recording, I just got confused because your video sounds close to the Smithsonian one but when I play by the original tab it doesn't seem to sound right to me unless I make a few small changes even though I'm playing what you play. It has me puzzled. Also to clarify for anyone looking I am in no way complaining what you do is an asset to people who love this old country blues stuff and it is quite normal for anything to be different from one recording to the next. Thank you for your help Toby.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Hi Grim,

Sorry for the confusion but in the end I'm glad that you're getting the song down in the way that is most satisfying to you... which is what it's all about anyway. Tablature has it's limitations but ultimately it's designed to bring out ideas while showing 'one' possible way.

Old 08-13-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
Hi Grim,

Sorry for the confusion but in the end I'm glad that you're getting the song down in the way that is most satisfying to you... which is what it's all about anyway. Tablature has it's limitations but ultimately it's designed to bring out ideas while showing 'one' possible way.

Yes thank you Toby it has been a help if you get a chance to look at the Smithsonian video on YouTube can you see if you can help figure out what doc is going to after the second e7 doesn't seem to be the a7 in that version
Old 08-13-2014, 03:41 PM

I'm doing the same lesson right now. Toby, your instruction is so good it makes me feel like I should have already known the song. Just 3 days and I already have 95 percent to memory. Hardly used the tab this time.

Grim; there are many ways to play the same song. If an artist had to always play it the same way he'd probably get bored. I just watched this Joe Pass video about using chord substitutions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Hn18o5dh4

So many ways to embellish and change the flavor of the same chord. I believe that is what Toby has been showing us in the deep river lesson among his many other lessons that always encourage improvisation.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grim83 View Post
Yes thank you Toby it has been a help if you get a chance to look at the Smithsonian video on YouTube can you see if you can help figure out what doc is going to after the second e7 doesn't seem to be the a7 in that version
Yes... Doc is playing an A7 in the first position. You'll also notice that he plays it differently each time around.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy Boy William View Post
I'm doing the same lesson right now. Toby, your instruction is so good it makes me feel like I should have already known the song. Just 3 days and I already have 95 percent to memory. Hardly used the tab this time.

Grim; there are many ways to play the same song. If an artist had to always play it the same way he'd probably get bored. I just watched this Joe Pass video about using chord substitutions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Hn18o5dh4

So many ways to embellish and change the flavor of the same chord. I believe that is what Toby has been showing us in the deep river lesson among his many other lessons that always encourage improvisation.
Glad to hear you're enjoying the instruction. Grim's enjoying it too which is a nice thing to see.

For future reference, you both may want to continue this thread on one that already exists called 'Toby Walker's Lessons... Let's Discuss.'

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write