The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-07-2014, 07:40 AM

Default Beginning Acoustic Flatpicking

Hey guys!

I've posted a lot here about fingerpicking, so now I'm asking about flatpicking

I have a month off work and I find that if I take breaks whilst letting fingerpicking tunes and go back to them I've usually improved! So rather than putting the guitar down, I figured I'd learn to flatpick on my dread

Any good videos/artists to get me started on this? I don't really want to spend money buying books as it's not my main pursuit - just something to break from the fingerpicking for short sessions!

Cheers guys/girls

J
Old 08-07-2014, 07:47 AM

The foundation of the technique is "Carter Style" Lots of videos and available info on it by a search. Easy transition for fingerstyle players as Carter Style is a self-accompanying technique built around standard chord forms.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:34 AM

Highly recommend looking into the Flatpicking Essentials Series from Flatpicking Guitar Magazine. This series of books will take you through a very logical progression of learning to flatpick from the ground up. Start with rhythm, bass runs, and fills, then move on to Carter Style, then Fiddle Tunes, then Scales, then improvisation and playing up the neck. Each one of those things builds on the next so it’s very beneficial to learn them in the proper order if you’re trying to achieve an authentic sound.

PLAY BY EAR AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.

You also need to listen to a lot of Doc Watson and Norman Blake and ingrain those sounds in your head. Those two styles are the foundation of pretty much all modern flatpicking. Later you can explore Tony Rice, Clarence White, Kenny Smith, Bryan Sutton, and hundreds of others but I would start out with Doc and Norman as a base. They will teach you 90% of what you need to know about what flatpicking is supposed to sound like, in a way that’s fairly accessible.

If you don’t go the book route, make sure you focus on rhythm first. Chris Jones has a great DVD on Bluegrass Rhythm that’s the best I’ve seen, and it’s available through Netflix last I checked. Remember that the primary role of a flatpicker is rhythm. A hot lead player that can’t play rhythm is useless in a jam, and will quickly wear out his welcome. A great rhythm player that doesn’t play any lead is welcome in any jam. I don’t know of any good lead players that aren’t also good rhythm players. In flatpicking, the two go hand in hand. Traditionally the acoustic guitar has been a rhythm instrument in this style of music, so be mindful of that tradition. The guitar is a quiet instrument and is at the mercy of the other players to be heard. Playing good rhythm will earn you a lot of brownie points with banjo and fiddle players, and they’ll be more inclined to back off when it’s your turn to take a break.

Next is Carter Style, or the flatpicking version of Carter Style (the original Carter Style was actually played with fingerpicks), which begins to incorporate melody lines into the rhythm and teaches you the importance of playing out of chord shapes. A good flatpicker MUST stay grounded in the changes. You can't just pick a scale and start noodling. The melody is intricately tied to the changes and Carter Style teaches you how the two are related.

After that work on fiddle tunes, which introduce more complex melodies. ALWAYS know what chord you’re playing over when you’re playing a fiddle tune.

Once you can play good rhythm, have a strong handle on Carter Style, and a whole bunch of fiddle tunes under your belt, you’re ready to start learning licks and scales.

And so on…
"Out of all the sincere and well-intentioned attempts of politics, diplomacy, philosophy, religion, and education to get people to be peaceable together, ironically today, the last thing on earth that all seven billion of us agree on is that we like the steel string guitar." -Dan Crary
Old 08-07-2014, 08:47 AM

Mountain Man said it all. The Dan Miller/Tim May books spell everything out perfectly even though you said you don't wan't books.

Steve Kaufman is doing short video lessons now. Check him out at flatpik.com

But the fundamental flatpicking technique is down up down up on the 1/8th notes. Watch George Shuffler for crosspicking technique.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:48 AM

Thanks for breaking down the trajectory and the reasoning behind it. I'm trying to learn flat picking as well, and I've been jumping around without any real sense of direction. Much appreciated!
Old 08-09-2014, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

Years ago when I was a flat picker (about 40 years ago), I use to practice WITHOUT bracing my fingers on the top as well, just flat pick with a closed fist. It was a lot harder at first and really helped with control. You have me wondering now if I should start doing a bit of flatpicking too

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:34 AM

I'm glad I found this thread. I was just about to ask a similar question myself because my daughter is taking fiddle lessons now and I need to play catch up.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 08-09-2014, 09:59 AM

I never did enroll in them, but the ArtistWorks series also get a lot of praise. Bryan Sutton does the guitar lessons. Missy Raines and Tony Trischka are also instructors. They have a definitive curriculum that is laid out in a logical and progressive order.

Not free, but I've heard good things about them.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:32 PM

Another agreement with Mtn Man from me, too.

I know you said you don't want to get a book, but in case you change your mind, do check out the Flatpicking Essentials, as Mtn Man mentioned above.

I have Volume 1 & 2, and they are great. I haven't had much time to practice, but they lay out a clear plan, starting with rhythm and then moving to Carter style.

I'll also agree on Doc Watson and Norman Blake for listening. Tony Rice and Bryan Sutton are great, but to me, their playing seems almost unattainable and somewhat discouraging at times.

Doc and Norman seem much more attainable, to me at least, yet are still fantastic players.

Jason
Old 08-11-2014, 01:26 PM

Does anyone here have any experience with music with Ryan ? ( google it and you can see his web site)
I wonder how it compares with Flatpicking Essentials.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:05 PM

I really like "Flatpicking Essentials." I recommend the first three books all the time. I looked at a few of Ryan's videos. Strictly from the previews, it seems like good, solid instruction. In particular, I think this format (video/audio with tabs) works well for highly visual learners. You can see right where he puts his fingers. It doesn't seem like the most cost-effective way to learn.

The thing that separates "Flatpicking Essentials" is that it is system designed not just to teach tunes, but to build musicianship. Once you reach an intermediate level, I think learning tunes is the best way to improve your musicianship. Have you ever met anyone who knows 200 tunes who can't play?

But I think there needs to be a foundation of good musicianship built before you begin to build your repertoire. Things like solid rhythm and ear training tend to be overlooked by musicians who just begin by learning tunes.

If you already have that solid foundation, you could jump right in and begin learning tunes. But for someone who is just beginning, there are fundamentals that must be built.

Artistworks Flatpicking Bluegrass School with Bryan Sutton has a similar structure (beginner through at least intermediate levels).
Old 08-11-2014, 05:21 PM

Posternutbug
Thanks for the info, I having been playing 20 years or so. I can keep time etc... Just not familiar with bluegrass. I play mostly blues/rock and lately fingerstyle blues. After watching Ryan's videos I am intrigued by the Carter style. So I guess my question is do I just jump right in with that or get a foundation in bluegrass before trying it out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write