The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-06-2014, 07:02 AM

Default Question about a newish book, and other things...

Rhythm Guitar 365

I've been eyeing this book for my son. He only plays rhythm, per his own desires. I have Fretboard Freedom by the same author, but have only recently started working through it.

I'm wondering if Rhythm Guitar 365 will be valuable for my son. We both play rhythm, and I add vocals and some lead runs. It is praise music (generally folk rock type stuff), and he has a knack for making up interesting progressions.

I'm looking for something that will allow him to add some creativity to the rhythm, particularly when hanging on a chord for several measures. On the side, I would also really like him to learn the fretboard and music theory (which this book address theory from what I read). He is learning to sight read with piano lessons (and I add theory around the lessons). Does anyone have experiences with this book? We play mostly acoustic, but electric sometimes. The Amazon listing does not have a "look inside" link yet.

---

P.S. I'm also starting to wonder if I should go back and work through Guitar Aerobics. Especially with the other books I have. Am I too busy chasing snake oil (should I just work on what I have), or is there value to having all 3 of these books?

P.P.S. My son now says he likes piano more than guitar... so maybe I should back off the guitar stuff and let him fly on that a while?
Old 08-06-2014, 10:09 AM

First of all there is benefit in anything that is going to encourage you to pick up and play daily. So if that's "Guitar Aerobics" or "Rhythm Guitar 365" go for it!

As far as your son goes, don't push him too much. Let him do things his way and at his pace, he'll have more fun and get less frustrated. If he's liking piano more, let him focus on that for a bit.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

All the books in the world won't replace time spent practicing any one of the many lessons contained therein.

I can't tell you how many 'how-to' books I've purchased over the years, and, then rarely open a second time.

I try to mix up my practice time with technique for 15 min and songs for 30 min, rinse and repeat until too tired to play anymore.

too much technique work gets boring, but none at all makes song practice less effective in the long run.

my 2cents.

good luck!

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 08-06-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
All the books in the world won't replace time spent practicing any one of the many lessons contained therein.

I can't tell you how many 'how-to' books I've purchased over the years, and, then rarely open a second time.

I try to mix up my practice time with technique for 15 min and songs for 30 min, rinse and repeat until too tired to play anymore.

too much technique work gets boring, but none at all makes song practice less effective in the long run.

my 2cents.

good luck!
I appreciate this perspective, and you have touched the reason I hesitate to buy more instructional material. However, we tend to just do songs, and not do so much technique. I'm looking for technique to inject into the songs. We normally just grab chord/lyric sheets and take off.

I'm hoping someone on the forum actually has the book, and can comment on how it has/has not affected them. I don't want some isolated techniques, but if it is easy to add it in to their existing style, and really enhances it, that would help me pull the trigger.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write