The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-20-2019, 08:26 AM

Default Taylor 12 fret replacement

Little back ground I have an X2O, CEO7, D-18, and a Taylor 522e 12 fret. I love the feel and tone of the 522e but I looking for something that is more resistant to the humidity. In your opinion. Would I be better off with another x20 but in a shorter scale or the new X7. I mostly play fingerstyle and often in DADGAD.

Thank for your thoughts....
Old 02-20-2019, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Going from your current guitars and the consideration of a shorter scale interest, I would be leaning towards the X7. A different tone option from your X20 and at 24" would give you the shorter scale. I don't see a down side to that trade.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

I have a short scale Taylor GC as my main guitar.

I was considering an Emerald CF guitar and was leaning toward an X7.

I asked a similar question and the feedback I got said I would be disappointed with the X7 and the X20 sounds much better, especially compared to the GC.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 02-20-2019, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

I'm not familiar with the Taylor GC, so that may disqualify my opinion. It's hard for me to imagine that you'd be disappointed with the new X7, I've only had mine a week, but I find it very comfortable and well balanced across the strings with a sweet intimate tone. I am VERY pleased with it. If you need louder and a bolder tone, yeah the X20 wins. I haven't seen very many people disappointed with the new X7. Were they by chance talking about the older version of the X7 ? I would agree with them on that one. Maybe you can find one in your area to try? Best of luck, all great guitars.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I'm not familiar with the Taylor GC, so that may disqualify my opinion. It's hard for me to imagine that you'd be disappointed with the new X7, I've only had mine a week, but I find it very comfortable and well balanced across the strings with a sweet intimate tone. I am VERY pleased with it. If you need louder and a bolder tone, yeah the X20 wins. I haven't seen very many people disappointed with the new X7. Were they by chance talking about the older version of the X7 ? I would agree with them on that one. Maybe you can find one in your area to try? Best of luck, all great guitars.

I have the earlier generation X7 and a Taylor 522e. While I’m sure the new gen X7 has a beefier tone I very much doubt it could begin to approximate the beautiful lush voice of a 522e.
For me, the 522 is a pretty special guitar.
Old 02-20-2019, 08:02 PM

The 522 is the same size as a Rainsong Shorty. Some folks think the Rainsong neck is a bit flat though.

If staying with Emerald, then probably the new X7
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-20-2019, 11:09 PM

I am open to other brands. I will have to check out the rainsong this weekend. Good to hear the size is similar but the tone is the most important.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:36 AM
Charter Member

As much as I love all my Emeralds I really do have a soft spot for my Blackbird Lucky 13. It's a great little guitar and projects much more than it's size.

At least one to consider looking at. Before they quit making them they added a side port and that is what mine has. It sounds and plays wonderful and is a little different than my Emeralds in a good way.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 02-21-2019, 06:39 AM

I have a 522ce 12 fret as well as the Shorty. It took a while but I have grown to like the Rainsong neck. The Shorty is really easy to switch back and forth from Taylor GC 12 frets but to me the tone isn’t really the same. As sensitive as CF is to strings though you may find some that will approximate that sound? I use Elixir PB lights, fwiw
I also really like my Lucky13, but from what I hear maybe the Blackbird Savoy(not really CF but not wood) would be closest in sound?
Good luck,
Old 02-21-2019, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Another 522ce 12-fret owner here. I really like the Taylor Grand Concert size and scale, and that is a sweet wood guitar. I have adopted a "one in, one out policy"... as much as I like the 522, if there were another guitar coming in, it would have to be the 522 going out.

I'm not planning any changes. But, the mind prioritizes.
Old 02-21-2019, 02:23 PM

Wow, so many Taylor 522 12-fret owners here. And look, what's that in my signature?

I also have a Rainsong Smokey Hybrid which is surprisingly similar in sound and feel.

My X7 is a nylon string so it does not really compare.
Its body however is shorter than a Taylor Grand Concert. Sure, the X7 is also a 12-fret with the bridge at the center of the lower bout, but that is only thanks to a shorter 24" scale.
With a 24 7/8" scale like your Taylor (and Emerald can easily make it so if you ask) you would have to go for a 13-fret. Which is what I would have done in retrospect.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089

Last edited by mountainmaster; 02-21-2019 at 02:42 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber