The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-04-2019, 03:08 PM

Default Seller agreement cancelled

Sad that some people agree to selling an item for specific price and shipping then coming back and saying they won't sell after all. Bad sellers.
~Bob
Old 02-04-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungBeatle View Post
Sad that some people agree to selling an item for specific price and shipping then coming back and saying they won't sell after all. Bad sellers.
~Bob
Thanks for all the detailed information, Bob.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:03 PM

Well I don’t know if your experience is AGF related (I hope not) but several years back i agreed to a pay asking price for a item on Craigslist. The next day when I was suppose to go get it the guy texted and said a fella offered him $50 more than asking price and I could have it I offered more. I responded that what he was doing was unethical so why should I stoop to his level and told him I was no longer interested....... so as sellers go they could always be worst than just deciding to keep an item. Although when they waste ur time it does suck
Old 02-04-2019, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcamp View Post
Well I don’t know if your experience is AGF related (I hope not) but several years back i agreed to a pay asking price for a item on Craigslist. The next day when I was suppose to go get it the guy texted and said a fella offered him $50 more than asking price and I could have it I offered more. I responded that what he was doing was unethical so why should I stoop to his level and told him I was no longer interested....... so as sellers go they could always be worst than just deciding to keep an item. Although when they waste ur time it does suck
I've sold stuff on AGF, Craigslist, Ebay and Reverb with the personal belief that an item remains for sale until I have cash (or the cyber equivalent) in hand, and the item is gone. I get it; we're all super upstanding folks here with an ethical compass that would put Aristotle to shame. But let's face it, individual buyers and sellers change their minds for all kinds of reasons. It may make us angry but let's put it in perspective...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 02-04-2019, 06:25 PM

A deal isn't done until the buyer has the merchandise and the seller has his money.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 02-04-2019, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
~Bob
That ain’t nuttin. I bought and paid for a $300 item on eBay with PayPal. Then 12 hours later I get a refund and the seller has resisted for $400 seeing what some others were selling for and thinking they could likely get more. Not a thing I could do about it except neg him and move on.
Guilds: 69 F312 Braz, 89 Nightbird II, 91 Nightbird CU, 94 GV70, 96 A50 flattop, 06 CO1 Cedar, 11 F30CE, 13 CS F30R Reno Star, 14 GSR F30CE Coco, Orpheum OM RW, Orpheum SS Hog. SOLD: Guilds: 78 F40,79 F112,’87 GF60R,94 DV72,07 CS F47 Braz,11 DD6MCE,12 F30,12 F30R,18 F2512. Other: 70 Epi 5102,74 Ibanez LesPaul,90 Gibson ES347,15 Alvarez MFA70,15 Martin OM28VTS,15 Epi ES339Pro,16 Alvarez AF60
Old 02-04-2019, 07:01 PM

* Note To Self *

Save this thread and refer to it when making purchases on AGF....
Old 02-04-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
~Bob
I once listed a classic motorcycle for sale for $1000 and after a couple dozen calls realized the price was way too low so I decided not to sell till I could get a better idea of the value. What was it you were trying to buy and for how much?
Old 02-04-2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Sad that some people agree to selling an item for specific price and shipping then coming back and saying they won't sell after all.
If two parties have been corresponding by email and agree on a price and shipping, that would be sufficient to form a binding agreement. I believe that even a verbal agreement can be binding if a person can prove what was said.

You should draw this to the attention of the seller and maybe threaten to sue in small debts court.

To actually force the seller to sell to you, or pay for any loss due to having to buy a similar item at a higher price, is a different matter however.

Might as well forget it unless it's a significant item.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
If two parties have been corresponding by email and agree on a price and shipping, that would be sufficient to form a binding agreement. I believe that even a verbal agreement can be binding if a person can prove what was said.

You should draw this to the attention of the seller and maybe threaten to sue in small debts court.

To actually force the seller to sell to you, or pay for any loss due to having to buy a similar item at a higher price, is a different matter however.

Might as well forget it unless it's a significant item.
Yeh, there's a big difference between legally and practically enforceable. That aside, there's also the question of the ability of the person you've been emailing to enter into a binding contract. Is that person of legal age or mental capacity to enter into a legally binding contract? One never knows with long distance digital agreements to buy or sell. Like it or not, when you're dealing with individuals regarding the sale or purchase of items, the deal is not done until product and consideration change hands. Until then, it's just words...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 02-05-2019 at 08:05 AM.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Yeh, there's a big difference between legally and practically enforceable. That aside, there's also the question of the ability of the person you've been emailing to enter into a binding contract? . . . . . . . . . . . . Like it or not, when you're dealing with individuals regarding the sale or purchase of items, the deal is not done until product and consideration change hands. Until then, it's just words...
This is the entire truth of the matter.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Thanks for all the detailed information, Bob.
Yep,
There's too much missing to form an opinion, pass judgement or learn anything from.
Just exactly what happened?

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-05-2019, 07:01 AM

I made an ebay purchase a couple of years ago paid with paypal. The guy came back to me a day or two later and said he was cancelling the sale and refunding my payment. The sale included shipping and he had seriously under estimated shipping costs. He said it was just to expensive to ship. At least he was honest and upfront about the whole thing.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:29 AM

I'm curious to know if DungBeatle was going to add to his list.

1976 Ovation with frets so worn it can't be played
Bunch of Chinese crap that will die in the next year
Unknown age old ukulele I rarely play anymore
French horn, single key, not played in 30 years
2 Harmonicas of unknown origin, keys and location
Old 02-05-2019, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Yep,
There's too much missing to form an opinion, pass judgement or learn anything from.
Just exactly what happened?
Pretty scarce info to be sure.. Yet that said there is enough info to know that #1 Stuff happens, and #2 a seller reneging on a verbal or E-mail agreement, is from little to no importance in the scheme of things , because after all "Not spending money" is seldom if ever, a Bad thing, jusss sayin'

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-05-2019 at 01:57 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic