The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-02-2019, 12:10 AM

Wow, I just stumbled across a You Tube Video entitled “Apple under fire for allegations of controversial business practices” and man it’s really making me think twice about hauling my desktop into an official Apple store to have it looked at. This video contends that Apple is more interested in replacement rather than repair and shows a guy going into an Apple store with a hidden camera to record his experience at the repair desk in trying to get his laptop fixed. They quoted him a price of 1400 bucks to repair it and of course tried to convince him it wasn’t worth fixing and tried to steer him in the direction of buying a brand new one. The guy then takes the laptop to a private computer repair shop where the guy popped the back off, tweaked some little part that was slightly off kilter with a pair of freaking tweezers, pops the back on again, turns it on and bingo, problem solved and the tech didn’t even charge him for the “repair” it was so quick and simple.”
Now if that’s the kind of deceptive crap going on at Apple stores, I’m REALLY reluctant to go ditty bopping in there with my problem. But one wonders of course, was this an aberration or is this routine at Apple stores? Sure has me scratching my head and causing me to lean in the direction of the advice from AndreF and Haasome to forget the repair of this old machine and get a refurbished model off Amazon.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:25 AM

I quit going to Apple (local) for repair. They charge a lot and put restrictions on the drives the Techs will replace (you have to buy from them, and they charge significantly more). I took it to my local "PC" shop and they fixed what needed fixed. I only took the Mac to Apple, while I had Apple Care.

2019 Applegate SJ
Old 02-02-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarsFromMars View Post
I quit going to Apple (local) for repair. They charge a lot and put restrictions on the drives the Techs will replace (you have to buy from them, and they charge significantly more). I took it to my local "PC" shop and they fixed what needed fixed. I only took the Mac to Apple, while I had Apple Care.
To be fair I will ask you to qualify but that seems far from the truth.

You might be correct if you mean some apple products with storage part of the system board but I could not count how often desktop and slightly older or older laptops had same drive supplier and models as PC types. There have been many times when I’ve taken an OEM Apple drive in my PC-based drive recovery system and SpinRite only running from DOS has “seen” them and often recovered data.

There are some basic PC shops that have lower labor costs but our repairs at Apple Store or a local authorized independent are pretty much same as the first tier and business franchise independent companies we use.

The Macs are Intel-type personal computers. Now the PC world has same small form factor and highly engineered products. Getting the Windows systems repairs is much the same unless it’s an old school form factor system. Even the latter get treated much like a Mac in a warranty repair. They limit bench and on site repairs to the major components.

The problem with an unqualified independent over Apple’s authorized locations that can be independently owned is they lack the diagnostics tools the qualified location gets. For late model or stuff in the UEFI era you want the diagnostics that let you know what’s going in vs educated or poorly educated guessing. The diagnostics appointment is free at Apple Store or at least in my market area.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:30 AM

“The problem with an unqualified independent over Apple’s authorized locations that can be independently owned is they lack the diagnostics tools the qualified location gets. For late model or stuff in the UEFI era you want the diagnostics that let you know what’s going in vs educated or poorly educated guessing. The diagnostics appointment is free at Apple Store or at least in my market area.”

imwjl, You sound like you have pretty good knowledge of Apple practices. Do you maintain then that Apple does not routinely and as a so called “business practice” advocate “replacement over repair?” I have no axe to grind here, just trying to decide what the best and cheapest route for me would be. If I have to replace my old desk top fine, I will, but I would like to have the confidence at an Apple store that as an old geezer who isn’t particularly computer savvy on what the heck goes on behind that computer screen that I’m not being conned.
Old 02-02-2019, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
“The problem with an unqualified independent over Apple’s authorized locations that can be independently owned is they lack the diagnostics tools the qualified location gets. For late model or stuff in the UEFI era you want the diagnostics that let you know what’s going in vs educated or poorly educated guessing. The diagnostics appointment is free at Apple Store or at least in my market area.”

imwjl, You sound like you have pretty good knowledge of Apple practices. Do you maintain then that Apple does not routinely and as a so called “business practice” advocate “replacement over repair?” I have no axe to grind here, just trying to decide what the best and cheapest route for me would be. If I have to replace my old desk top fine, I will, but I would like to have the confidence at an Apple store that as an old geezer who isn’t particularly computer savvy on what the heck goes on behind that computer screen that I’m not being conned.
You might be getting into silly hair splitting, bias, or logical fallacies in arguments I see. With many systems and devices we do repairs often. If the item is not repairable they say replace. If it could be throwing good money at bad we get that advice. Microsoft haters seem to give the same sort of nonsense. You can't have a Surface look and act like a Surface and be a generic DIY PC at same time.

The Apple Store and their support staff have a reputation for being particularly good with and kind to older customers. I see that every time I walk in, and with the support my mother and her contemporaries get. They are all mid-80s to early 90s in age.

Any truly decent vendor we use has pricing that reflects their higher costs to do business.

I don't think you mentioned the specific desktop you have. That can mean a lot as far as giving advice. It might be one with DIY instructions and parts available. A late model used Mini or iMac is probably the best advice if you have an old dead computer.

My local Apple Store does not charge for a diagnostics appointment or at least has not been charging. The independent does but applies it to a repair.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
You might be getting into silly hair splitting, bias, or logical fallacies in arguments I see. With many systems and devices we do repairs often. If the item is not repairable they say replace. If it could be throwing good money at bad we get that advice. Microsoft haters seem to give the same sort of nonsense. You can't have a Surface look and act like a Surface and be a generic DIY PC at same time.

The Apple Store and their support staff have a reputation for being particularly good with and kind to older customers. I see that every time I walk in, and with the support my mother and her contemporaries get. They are all mid-80s to early 90s in age.

Any truly decent vendor we use has pricing that reflects their higher costs to do business.

I don't think you mentioned the specific desktop you have. That can mean a lot as far as giving advice. It might be one with DIY instructions and parts available. A late model used Mini or iMac is probably the best advice if you have an old dead computer.

My local Apple Store does not charge for a diagnostics appointment or at least has not been charging. The independent does but applies it to a repair.
Thanks very much, I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me.
Old 02-03-2019, 06:19 AM

12 year old computer?

I have a friend who had 3 wives in 12 years.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 02-03-2019, 07:21 AM

I've found APPLE to be outstanding in after market care even on older stuff. They provided me with free upgrade to my OS on my 7 year old MacBook Pro.

It won't be long before I buy a new/refurb and it will be from an Apple outlet with this kind of care!

Fog
Old 02-03-2019, 07:38 AM

A few thoughts here.

1. You could look on eBay and Craigslist for a used, working identical model to buy. That might be cheaper than a repair bill. You could then open up the computers and swap out the hard drive with the hard drive from you current computer (where all of your data lives).

There are likely several videos on YouTube detailing this...you should really just need some jewellers screwdrivers to do this...it shouldn't be particularly hard to do.

2. You could buy a used or refurbished identical model, and get a USB adapter to hook the hard drive from your current computer to in order to copy over your data files from your current computer to the one you buy.

3. You could also look at buying a new or refurbished Mac Mini and use one of those USB hard drive adapters to copy your data files over to the new machine.

If it were me, I'd look at option 3 simply because you will have more current hardware and likely have easier OS and software upgrade paths as a result. The USB hard drive adapters can be found for $30 or less...you literally plug your old HD in one end, plug the other into the "new" Mac and it should show up as another drive on Finder.

My parents used to have one of the old 30" iMac all-in-one desktop that died. I got them a mac mini and a 30 LCD TV to use as a monitor (HDMI) and the combo of the 2 was slightly more than what their repair estimate was but they were upgraded to a system that they can use for probably another 10 years.

Note that if the Mac Mini is one with built in wireless and an HDMI cable, you can hook it up to your TV if you have an extra HDMI input not being used.
Fender Baja Telecaster
Old 02-03-2019, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
12 year old computer?

Well Mac's are very faithful

Seriously though, it totally depends on the actual spec's and the intended usage and what apps one is going to run,,, as to whether or not it would be advisable to keep and fix or simply replace .
For example , in my home recording studio I am running a Mid 2010 Mac Pro which has the spects to still run the latest version of Pro Tools Ultimate HDN, and will with a graphics card replacement ($150 - $350 ) be able to move to latest Mac OS = Mojave. I fully expect another 2 -5 years of service out of this machine.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-03-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgherb View Post
A few thoughts here.

1. You could look on eBay and Craigslist for a used, working identical model to buy. That might be cheaper than a repair bill. You could then open up the computers and swap out the hard drive with the hard drive from you current computer (where all of your data lives).

There are likely several videos on YouTube detailing this...you should really just need some jewellers screwdrivers to do this...it shouldn't be particularly hard to do.

2. You could buy a used or refurbished identical model, and get a USB adapter to hook the hard drive from your current computer to in order to copy over your data files from your current computer to the one you buy.

3. You could also look at buying a new or refurbished Mac Mini and use one of those USB hard drive adapters to copy your data files over to the new machine.

If it were me, I'd look at option 3 simply because you will have more current hardware and likely have easier OS and software upgrade paths as a result. The USB hard drive adapters can be found for $30 or less...you literally plug your old HD in one end, plug the other into the "new" Mac and it should show up as another drive on Finder.

My parents used to have one of the old 30" iMac all-in-one desktop that died. I got them a mac mini and a 30 LCD TV to use as a monitor (HDMI) and the combo of the 2 was slightly more than what their repair estimate was but they were upgraded to a system that they can use for probably another 10 years.

Note that if the Mac Mini is one with built in wireless and an HDMI cable, you can hook it up to your TV if you have an extra HDMI input not being used.
Thanks very much herb, several good options there you put in my holster. Much appreciated.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
12 year old computer?

He told me he kept taking them into the Apple Genius Bar--and they always recommended replacement.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-03-2019, 11:21 AM

i have purchased two ipads and a 27" desktop all refurbished from apple and have had no problem with them. you get a deal as well as the standard warranty. now may be a good time to check as apple recently came out with new products. here is their website for your perusal.

play music!

https://www.google.com/search?client...le+refurbished

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-03-2019, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
He told me he kept taking them into the Apple Genius Bar--and they always recommended replacement.
LMAO!
Old 02-03-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
i have purchased two ipads and a 27" desktop all refurbished from apple and have had no problem with them. you get a deal as well as the standard warranty. now may be a good time to check as apple recently came out with new products. here is their website for your perusal.

play music!

https://www.google.com/search?client...le+refurbished
Thanks very much muscmp, will definitely check it out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic