The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-16-2019, 09:47 AM

Post Cordoba Mini R Review in Tuning, string noise, Action...

This is a little guitar that is fun to play, especially travel!

Noise
I have noticed a string noise (mechanical vibration) on the original 6th string (A tuning). I then stared a painful noise isolation experiments by detaching the other strings, tie up all screws.... but still no luck to find the source of noise.....

Action - under saddle strips
I noticed that there are Two white plastic strips under the saddle, in which I have no idea it was installed from manufacture or guitar shop which I was telling them to lower the Action - according to the guitarist Peter Frary who published on his website. To find out the noise, I also remove the under saddle strips, but still no luck.

Savarez Corum Bass helps!
Since I have ran out of idea of source of noise, the last thing I can do, is to replace the original 6th string with a Savarez Bass string E (Normal Tension) - the noise was gone!
Although there are very little when you put your ear so close to the bridge, it is fine to use.

Changing the tuning from A to G
Since, it is not so balance to use the Savarez string on the 6th string, which is slightly thicker (different in the 3rd digit of decimal place in unit of inch), I also replace the 4th and 5th strings with Savarez strings from same set.
Since the tension of the 4th string in was felt very high when tuned to G, I have to lower the whole guitar to the G tuning to relief the tensions of the strings.

Conclusion
The guitar is now using Savarez Corum Bass (Red) with Cordoba - Aquila Nylgut Trebles strings in G tuning. It gives the sound more like a tonal character of the Classical guitar than a hybrid of Ukulele and Guitar that the bass sound thicker and deeper (perhaps due to thicker diameter).
The guitar is working like a Terz guitar which is minor 3rd higher than the normal size guitar which sounds good to the music of Renaissance.

Final though
I haven’t noticed any drop in loudness, projection, sustainability in G yet, but will keep trying it until the new strings comes.
I ordered D’Addario EJ94 string (Requinto Guitar) and the original Cordoba NylGut string in A.
I still not sure why it has noise on the 6th string and will try the A tuning again.
Amp: AER Compact Classic Pro

Last edited by htlau; 02-03-2019 at 11:03 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
cordoba mini