The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 10-04-2018, 08:24 AM

Default Gillian Welch/David Rawlings in concert

My wife and I went to see Gillian Welch at a small hall last night and were blown away! She sang and played beautifully, even buck danced a little. David Rawlings was amazing on his Epiphone archtop (and banjo once or twice), making it seem that there were multiple instruments in a larger band. The sound of their voices and their vintage Gibsons and Epiphones in the old converted cotton mill was outstanding!
Old 10-04-2018, 08:29 AM

I'm really envious! We've been able to see The Machine, but never just Welsh and Rawlings by themselves. Love 'em.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Fabulous. I have seen them live and they are wonderful performers as well as musicians.

Best,
Jayne
Old 10-04-2018, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

I'm jealous. I love their music but I've never seen 'em outside of YouTube. I'll keep my eyes out for them...
Old 10-04-2018, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Yes they are a great couple singing songs they wrote that seem to come out of 20s-30s Appalachia.

But !! The thing we all need t know is - did David Rawlplug pay his li'l ol' Epiphone Olympic or that big ol' D'angelico ?
Old 10-04-2018, 10:08 AM

Saw them at the Floyd Country Store last year, maybe the year before, right around Floydfest time. Talk about a small venue. And yes, it was magical.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:44 AM

Silly, David only played the Epiphone, aside from an old Gibson banjo for a couple of songs. I couldn't believe the versatility of the small guitar. It made me think about acquiring one; I will have to find out which one it was.

Skarsaune, we were at the Floyd Country Store for the first time earlier this summer. It was a very interesting place in a very interesting small town, made me think of a country Chapel Hill. Will definitely go back.

Last edited by Nctom; 10-04-2018 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Added info.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN