The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-03-2017, 11:26 AM

Default NGD: Recording King RP-06. Report and Questions.

Empowered by a recent thread here about MF’s Stupid Deal of the Day, I ordered one of these, as a camping/loaner guitar. Conclusion: with a couple of minor issues to be resolved, this is a very capable and satisfying instrument!

It’s very similar to by Blueridge BR-341 in size, shape, and design. Differences include the longer scale length (by approximately ½”), a slightly narrower nut (1-3/4” vs. 1-7/8”) and bridge spacing, and 6 separate “butter bean” tuning machines.

Workmanship is very good with no noticeable flaws. Frets are dressed, although they feel a bit "sticky" during string bends. I did pull a piece of sandpaper out of the sound hole, which I suspect was left there to support the “hand crafted” note on the label. : )

Entire body is covered with a glossy lacquer finish. I suspect it restricts the tone, a bit, but makes for good protection.

Neck arrived with no relief, resulting in fret buzz, but a torque on the truss rod easily fixed that.

Tone-wise, the RP is surprisingly bright, almost jangly in the upper register. Hopefully, this will improve a bit, with playing. I’ll likely add a sound port, which should bring out a bit more bass. It came with D’Addario phosphor bronze (lights, I think.) Any string suggestions for increased bass are welcome.

According to RK’s site, the fretboard is made of “Revebond.” What is that? I suspect it’s a synthetic/composite material, dyed black to resemble ebony. My fingers turn black, from playing; again, this should improve, over time.

The other criticism is the string spacing. The first string is a bit too close to the edge of the fret board. I’ll leave it for now, perhaps try heavier strings. Otherwise, replacing the (bone) nut and saddle will be necessary.

Had I paid ~$300 for this guitar, I would be pleased and likely keep it. At the price actually paid, she’s definitely a keeper.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:46 AM

Congratulations. I owned one a ways back and it was a great finger style guitar for the money.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:27 PM

Congrats!

I also got one a couple days ago and posted a good review in Rev Roy's PSA thread.

I'm lovin mine, but now I'm heartbroken I didn't get my piece of sandpaper.
Maybe mine wasn't "hand-made".

I haven't gotten black fingers from the 'rivebond' yet, but I haven't yet had time to play it more than a few minutes.
After playing I wiped it down with a white cotton cloth and did notice a little black on the cloth after wiping the bridge.
Hope the color shedding stops after it's used a while and this is not a permanent thing with this new 'revebond'.

BTW I just checked and they are still available for $149.
So if anyone's on the fence, grab one before they go back up to $299.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...lassic&index=2

Last edited by Tico; 12-03-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

Congrats!

Try a set of D'Addario EJ19. Bluegrass set. 12 16 25 35 45 56. Treble lights, medium wounds. You could always just take a set of 12s and buy medium A and E strings to bump the bass a bit.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:11 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickgm60 View Post
Empowered by a recent thread here about MF’s Stupid Deal of the Day, I ordered one of these, as a camping/loaner guitar. Conclusion: with a couple of minor issues to be resolved, this is a very capable and satisfying instrument!

It’s very similar to by Blueridge BR-341 in size, shape, and design. Differences include the longer scale length (by approximately ½”), a slightly narrower nut (1-3/4” vs. 1-7/8”) and bridge spacing, and 6 separate “butter bean” tuning machines.

Workmanship is very good with no noticeable flaws. Frets are dressed, although they feel a bit "sticky" during string bends. I did pull a piece of sandpaper out of the sound hole, which I suspect was left there to support the “hand crafted” note on the label. : )

Entire body is covered with a glossy lacquer finish. I suspect it restricts the tone, a bit, but makes for good protection.

Neck arrived with no relief, resulting in fret buzz, but a torque on the truss rod easily fixed that.

Tone-wise, the RP is surprisingly bright, almost jangly in the upper register. Hopefully, this will improve a bit, with playing. I’ll likely add a sound port, which should bring out a bit more bass. It came with D’Addario phosphor bronze (lights, I think.) Any string suggestions for increased bass are welcome.

According to RK’s site, the fretboard is made of “Revebond.” What is that? I suspect it’s a synthetic/composite material, dyed black to resemble ebony. My fingers turn black, from playing; again, this should improve, over time.

The other criticism is the string spacing. The first string is a bit too close to the edge of the fret board. I’ll leave it for now, perhaps try heavier strings. Otherwise, replacing the (bone) nut and saddle will be necessary.

Had I paid ~$300 for this guitar, I would be pleased and likely keep it. At the price actually paid, she’s definitely a keeper.
Good review. Pretty much exactly my thoughts about mine, which also arrived last week. Relief is all I had to adjust, too. And, yep, it’s a pretty little thing.

FOR SALE: 2023 Martin 000-15SM 12 fret w/ K&K mini

Last edited by Rev Roy; 12-03-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:56 PM

I've got one on its way from MF. Their site lists it as having a rosewood fretboard. I had one a few years ago and it was a rosewood board.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:03 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bojangles View Post
I've got one on its way from MF. Their site lists it as having a rosewood fretboard. I had one a few years ago and it was a rosewood board.
Interesting. The RK website says it’s Revebond. I’ll have to give mine a closer look when I get back in town.

http://recordingking.com/guitars/rp06

Old 12-03-2017, 04:47 PM

Thumbs up

The RP-06 I had a few years back was a rosewood fretboard.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:50 PM

Oh Man!
I just noticed mine has a compensated bridge!

How can a guitar this cheap be this good?

My fretboard really looks like RW.
I'll have to get out a magnifying glass or something.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:52 PM

Bought one.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:52 PM

It is my understanding that the 06 Series now have the Revebond board. Don't have a clue what it is but if it has the word bond in it there has to be something fused together with glue. Does this mean we will soon be seeing guitars advertised as Pre-Revebond Recording Kings?
Old 12-03-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
... Does this mean we will soon be seeing guitars advertised as Pre-Revebond Recording Kings?
Yeah, guitars you can't travel with.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:56 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
Does this mean we will soon be seeing guitars advertised as Pre-Revebond Recording Kings?

Old 12-03-2017, 07:04 PM

Yep, I had one a few years ago too, and it had a rosewood fingerboard.

Gibson LG-2 American Eagle
Waterloo WL-14L
Old 12-03-2017, 07:36 PM

That's it....I'm returning mine (didn't even get it yet)! No Rosewood board & bridge for $149? Hummmmphhhhh

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion