The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Wish I was there! Knock em dead Bruce! Nice line up...
Old 06-05-2015, 02:42 PM

Default I saw this one on facebook

nice guitar Bruce
Old 06-10-2015, 07:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

Okay, Memphis is well behind us and I am off to the the next big thing. Of course I first have to get home.

The show was under attended, which was expected, but the general quality of the attendees was what we call "well qualitified", which is to say there were few tourists, and. Only two people started the conversation with "well I've built a couple of guitars and I have a few questions for you". As you know, I don't mind this kind of question, but at some shows it seems to be 2/3 of the folks who walk up to me and I get to wondering why I had to pay to be there. Not so Memphis, nearly everyone was a potential customer or a peer.

We stayed till Monday and then drove up to Springfield, Missouri. Arkansas and Missouri were absolutely beautiful, and Linda and I agree we would like to make a special trip to spend more time in the Ozarks. I found Springfield to be a lot like my home town of Petluma, but several times the size. Great all American town feeling.

In Kansas City we had what I hope will be our final BBQ at a place called Joes. It was great, but enough is enough. Linda thought she recognized the people at the next table as being a family who hiked the Bandolier Ruins at the same time as we did, and she was right! Amazing coincidence as we had driven over 2000 miles since through the south and they had done similarly through the north. We exchanged numbers and hope to see them in our neighborhood as they claim to make regular visits to Napa Wine Country.

Then we drove up to Hiawatha Kansas where my mother was farm raised. I had been there at 13 and was amazed at how much nicer the area is tan in my memory, which was surely colored by mom's rejection of the place. Lovely place and lovely people. Then we headed down to Topeka, where Linda had lived for a time as a preteen. We tried to find supper at about eight last night but the entire downtown was already closed!

This morning we will head toward Denver on 70, but as it is some 550 miles off, we expect to pull up a bit short who knows where.

My next big thing, by the way, will be the four day Grass Valley Bluegrass Festival put on by the California Bluegrass Association on Fathers Day's four day weekend. I know I will see at least two of you I saw in Memphis at this venue. I will be home for one and a half days during which I will unload, do the laundry, and put string basses and fiddles into the trailer for another kind of show altogether a mere 150 miles from home.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:59 AM

Dang Bruce, I wish I knew you were going to be in my home state of Missouri. I would have loved to set down over dinner and asked you a few questions about building guitars, after all I have built a couple (just kidding)
Sounds like you are on a great trip, enjoy.
Travis
Old 06-10-2015, 01:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

It was great to see you at Memphis, Bruce. I need these bi-annual meet-ups at guitar shows to add fuel to my quest to continue refining my guitar-making skills. The best way for this to happen is by seeing and hearing the guitars of Grand Masters like you! Thanks for the inspiration!
There's no lottery where I live, but I bought a couple tickets while at Memphis. If I happen to be that one in 70,000,000 who wins, I will hasten to call you about buying the Pernambuco guitar. Full price. It's worth every penny.
Be well, Good Fortune, and travel safe! -Steve
Old 06-10-2015, 06:13 PM

That Pernambuco guitar was just amazing to hear and play. Just awesome.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

I sent the P home as I had no case for the Artifact, so it travelled with me. It's not the same, and I am missing the L00 very much. Thanks for the heartfelt comments, friends.

Travel news is we are in Burlington, CO, and are expecting to get across Nevada, when we get there, on 50.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hey Bruce, it was good to visit with you at Memphis and get a couple of glamour shots standing next to you. Glad our tables were so close, as that brought some good traffic our way. Humberto comes to mind, for one.
It's good you can decompress while you travel, see some lovely sights, and get refreshed for the next big thing. No, no, since you've traveled through the Lone Star state, you can now say next big thang. Stretch the a, turn it into two syllables, and we'll make you an honorary Texan.

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 06-11-2015, 08:54 PM
AGF Sponsor

The thang is, Steve, I've been honing my Texas drawl for many year now, and succeeded at embarrassing Linda with it on a number of occasions.

Tonight we are in Grand Junction, CO. We ate in an amazingly good place called "Bin 707 Food Bar". A serious recommendation. We are ensconced in an Econolodge, and it is not up to Best Western standards.

I have been playing the maple artifact instead of the P L00 I shipped home. At first I was feeling deprived, but I am coming around. It is different, indeed, but has its own brand of wonder.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

And tonight it is Ely, Nevada.
Old 06-12-2015, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

Find somewhere nice, take your last long, hot shower, then come on back to California! If you have a little extra room, you may want to bring a little extra -

Old 06-14-2015, 06:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

We are home and glad to be here. The lawn grows amazingly in a month! The animals have all survived, so kudos to my daughter, Laurelyn. Linda claims the dog is mine but it was easy to see that she missed Linda (who feeds her) most. On Wednesday morning I leave for the Grass Valley Bluegrass Festival, and there is much to do and 2 days to do it in.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
We are home and glad to be here. The lawn grows amazingly in a month! The animals have all survived, so kudos to my daughter, Laurelyn. Linda claims the dog is mine but it was easy to see that she missed Linda (who feeds her) most. On Wednesday morning I leave for the Grass Valley Bluegrass Festival, and there is much to do and 2 days to do it in.

Long trip...enjoy your own bed tonight and go out back and say hi to your wood locker for me!
Old 07-02-2015, 12:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

As usual, the recent Memphis event left me a bit burned out. At this point I have done no actual lutherie in about 3 months, and since I have some commissioned work to get to, I thought I'd better make a spec piece to get myself tuned up; I would not like to be at less than my best when somebody is counting on me!

I was quite discouraged by the lack of interest shown in the All Walnut guitar I featured on my Memphis table. I was pretty careful not to say too much about my own impressions of it, preferring to count on AGFers that I imagined would come by to have a look see. If anyone did, they didn't say anything to me about it! Aside from fit and finish and general concept, which speak for themselves, the thing is, "How does it sound?". Personally, I would have crossed a busy eight lane highway for the answer to that question. It is a genuinely interesting piece of work, IMO.

On the road to the event I received a phone call from a man who had recently acquired one of my older Mini-Ds, the Cambodian/Adi one, and he talked me out of the new BRW/Adi one I showed. I was hesitant to sell it as I prefer to actually have for sale work on the table, but money talks, as they say. I told him the guitar is similar to the one he had already, but more so, and with the BRW thing, which is true. He has received it at this point and I won't be getting it back, so my spec build will be something similar; an FT-000-D Kerala (Mini-D) in BRW/Adi.

Today I joined the plates, stay tuned!
Old 07-02-2015, 12:49 PM

Hello Bruce, good to see at home and posting again. That is a long trip and then you have to turn around and get home again!!! Would wear anyone out.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop