The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 09-17-2013, 07:25 PM

Default 1949 L-5c

I want this:

http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-l-5c-1949-sunburst-1

I'm not serious about buying it, but it's fun to dream. Does it seem like a fair price when considering the repaired neck routing and refinish?

It looks like a blast to play. Such a classy instrument.

Last edited by backdrifter; 09-18-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

The guitar pick shaped sunburst is my least favorite of the Gibson finish, probably still a very cool guitar.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
I want this:

http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-l-5c-1949-sunburst-1

I'm not serious about buying it, but it's fun to dream. Does it seem like a fair price when considering the repaired neck routing and refinish?

It looks like a blast to play. Such a class instrument.
If it was what I wanted, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. The only person it has to please is use. And, I also think it's a very beautiful guitar.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:12 AM

Yep, I agree, but at the same time, I would want to be sure I was getting a deal. Off hand, $5,400 for any true L-5 seems pretty fair, let alone a 1949 and one with a cutaway. But it does have a few issues, so maybe the price isn't as great as I think.

As I said, I'm not serious, but if I were, I'd pay the $50 to have Gruhn appraise it and then go into the transaction more knowledgeable.

Sure is pretty to look at.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

I wish I was more knowledgeable about the gibson L-5 and other L series market, and often dream of having the foresight to buy up all the L-5's in the 90s and enjoy their appreciation, as well as their beauty lol.
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s
Old 09-18-2013, 08:54 AM

I would not bother having anyone appraise it... Such appraisals are of limited value in the true market (that's a whole 'nother thread/argument). As a person in that market, having owned and still owning vintage L-5s including a couple of L-5Cs and a late 40's L-5 non-cut, I'll chime in.

The guitar was refinished and modified in 1982 with the electronics. A refin is obviously a negative, but a 30 year old one doesn't sting as badly somehow. However, they did the refin in Norlin fashion instead of the "vintage correct" sunburst for a late 40s burst. That's just too bad. So you have the teardrop on the back, and the lack of a true fade from the orange center to the very dark edges on top. And check out the sides - like a zebra - weird.

The electronics are good; it's a Johnny Smith pickup with adjustable polepieces. They chose to use a pickguard mounted jack, which works but can be awkward and is not for the clumsy among us. It also seems to be 1/8" but I can't tell for sure.

The pickguard is also mounted too low. As such, it looks a bit weird, but moreover it runs into the bridge. Maybe they don't actually physically touch, but they shouldn't be so close.

The seller believes that the tailpiece is original, and since it is engraved with "L5" I suppose it could be, however odd a match it is. It's a gold plated version of what would be used on an ES-175. I'm a little dubious that it's actually original, because the 1949 ES-175 had a straight tailpiece with parallelograms on the cross section. The "squiggly" version like what's on this L-5 didn't appear for a few more years. My '57 had one.

Finally, the frets seem untouched (binding nibs intact) but they are flat and wide as a pancake, which is an undesireable "feature" of the 1982 time period. So either they are original and somehow worn down, or more likely they were redone around the time of the refinish, and possibly the neck was rebound in the factory Gibson manner with the binding over the fret ends. Either way, those frets have got to go - they suck.

If it were mine:

- Refret with medium tall, proper size frets
- Replace pickguard, mount in correct position
- Notch new 'guard for pickup and drill for volume pot
- Ream for endpin jack OR install Tapastring "Vintage Jack" in place
- Rewire pickup to new volume pot and endpin jack

You're stuck with the refinish of course, unless you re-do it.

In my opinion, the guitar is not worth more than $4500 and with the work that I'd require listed above, I'd pay no more than $4K even. When complete, you'd have a great guitar that is worth at least $5K. I just don't think it's worth quite that much now.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:35 AM

Not for me. I like the year and the cutaway, but the repaired PU hole, the non-standard tailpiece, the refin, etc., well, it all adds up and I think you can do better.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 09-18-2013, 10:14 AM

Thanks guys. That kind of detailed feedback is exactly what I was looking for!
Old 09-18-2013, 12:55 PM

Lovely. Boy, I would target an L-7c in great shape before I would pursue an L-5 with condition questions simply to have easier resale if I ever needed it. Which is what I ended up doing - I found a '54 L-7c in great shape...
Old 09-18-2013, 01:25 PM

Too much for a refinish!
Old 09-18-2013, 02:02 PM

Any pictures, WordMan?

I owned this gorgeous 1933 L-7 for a while. It was the 16" version, like the Loar-era L-5's. It too had been refinished, but out of necessity. One of it's irresponsible owners had tried to refinish it in natural and had apparently butchered it. The next owner had a no-expenses-spared refinish completed, and boy did it look good (and authentic). I still miss that guitar, and truthfully, I'd be more apt to try to buy it back from the person I sold it to than I would be to buy that L-5c.

Old 09-18-2013, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
Any pictures, WordMan?

I owned this gorgeous 1933 L-7 for a while. It was the 16" version, like the Loar-era L-5's. It too had been refinished, but out of necessity. One of it's irresponsible owners had tried to refinish it in natural and had apparently butchered it. The next owner had a no-expenses-spared refinish completed, and boy did it look good (and authentic). I still miss that guitar, and truthfully, I'd be more apt to try to buy it back from the person I sold it to than I would be to buy that L-5c.
Love that L-7.

Here's my attempt at a pic - I stink at photo uploading and management:

The left is the 1954 L-7c; really resonant and wonderful carved top. The one on the right is the 1938 Kalamazoo that I love for slide work...
Old 09-18-2013, 02:23 PM

These old Gibsons are so cool....

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/4035024434.html
Old 09-18-2013, 05:11 PM

Wordman, love that L-7C of ours. Now that is sweet.

The same dealer also has this guy for sale. Much more attractive to me, and a pretty good price I think.

http://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-l-7-1934-sunburst

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 09-18-2013, 05:53 PM

Nothing wrong with a beautifully done refinish if a guitar needed it. Here is my '47 S400, refinished about as well as it can be done. (Love the guitars you guys are posting.)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops