The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2011, 02:53 AM

Default Pickguard choice Rosewood or Mahogany on Englemann spruce top

I just bought my second Taylor, a used BTO GA body with Mahogany back and sides and premium Englemann Spruce top.
Setting aside the question of whether wood pickguards are a good idea or not, as I know there are divided opinions on this, and assuming I use a standard taylor shape guard, I am wondering how the two different woods would effect the overall tone?

This is mainly for fingerstyle but also some flatpicking, it has a 1 7/8" nut. The Takamine and the Ibanez 12 String are my workhorses for acoustic rhythm playing.

I would go for a very thin guard in either case but I only want to do it once.

The guitar also has Rosewood bindings so aesthetically either would work.

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers

Last edited by nrand; 03-08-2011 at 03:16 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:11 AM

even a piece of wood as this as a pickguard would probably add too much weight to the top

try looking around the next and there are plenty of sheets of pickguard matertials in a mind boggling array of styles, there is bound to be one you'll like
Old 03-08-2011, 05:33 AM

Why not try the clear static pick guard from Taylor? I've got one on my 714ce and like it for the fact that it doesn't hide any of the top.

2008 Taylor 714ce Fall Ltd. Koa/Cedar
Old 03-08-2011, 07:31 AM

I'm not sure how it would affect the toone, but I am sure it would affect the tone, and not for the better.

If you like wood - the clear pickgaurd is a great idea.
Collings OM2H Custom
Old 03-08-2011, 07:56 AM

If the pickguard is as thin as a plastic one would be it probably wouldn't affect the tone any more than usual. Of the two woods listed I would pick the rosewood, as it is a bit harder and might hold up better.
You might want to consider using a thin wood veneer for looks, and placing a thin clear plastic guard on top of it for protection - a pickguard for the pickguard.
Many makers use a clear double sided tape to adhere pickguards, which allows for their eventual removal and replacement. The tape is available from Stewart McDonald.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermithollow View Post
If the pickguard is as thin as a plastic one would be it probably wouldn't affect the tone any more than usual. Of the two woods listed I would pick the rosewood, as it is a bit harder and might hold up better.
You might want to consider using a thin wood veneer for looks, and placing a thin clear plastic guard on top of it for protection - a pickguard for the pickguard.
Many makers use a clear double sided tape to adhere pickguards, which allows for their eventual removal and replacement. The tape is available from Stewart McDonald.
Thanks
This is the kind of response I was hoping for, not being sure myself of the qualities of the two woods.

JBL EON ONE Pro
Yamaha DXR speakers

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion