The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-19-2019, 11:30 PM

The terms used to describe mando-things are different depending on where you live or who you talk to.
In North America, a mandola is the "mando" equivalent of the viola, just as the mandolin is the mando equivalent of the mandolin and the mando-cello is the equivalent of the violin-cello. There is a mando-bass that corresponds to the string bass, but it is very rare.
An octave mandolin is an instrument an octave lower than the mandolin.
In Europe I've heard people call this instrument an octave mandola or even just a mandola.
There are words like cittern, bouzouki, Irish bouzouki, blarge, octophone, and other terms that apply to mando-things as well, and not everyone uses them the same way.
Toronto luthier Grit Laskin uses the term "Long neck mandolin" to describe his instruments no matter how many courses or how long the neck.
-1950 Gibson LG1
-1958 Goya M-26
-Various banjos, mandolins, dulcimers, ukuleles, Autoharps, mouth harps. . .
Old 04-26-2019, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHJim View Post
The terms used to describe mando-things are different depending on where you live or who you talk to.
Excellent point. I'd forgotten that.

Of course, I don't spend any time hanging out in European mandolin circles, but I have encountered the different usage of the term online and been appropriately confused by it.

whm
Old 04-26-2019, 03:21 AM

The top is solid; doesn’t say the rest is.
Thomann is of course a huge dealer, like GC in the US. They have first rate customer service, and a liberal return policy.
Unlike Silly, I’ve bought from them for years with never a problem. Of course, I am in Germany, so maybe the organization works better here.

Gewa is a German reseller. I have a Gewa mandolin (branded ‘Tennessee’) which is comparable to the mandola above. It’s not an F5 but it is fine, really. Decently made, decent sound. Plays well.

Steven
Old 04-28-2019, 03:15 PM

Thanks for all your input so far. After a long consideration, I finally bought an Ashbury. Also solid woods, same price range.

The instrument is a real fun to play - frankly, I expected less of an instrument for that price, but got pleasantly surprised. Excellent setup right put of the box. I'll be looking for a decent case now.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments