The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-24-2019, 03:45 PM

I like Elixirs and other strings on my Taylor. It still sounds like a Taylor but different strings really change the color and overtones of it.

Here’s my DN8 with Martin Monels.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:00 PM

Coatings do not improve the fatigue modulus of any metal, especially guitar strings, because no coating can enhance any metal alloy molecularly. But, I read in posts that coated strings extend the useful life of strings and would like to get the metallurgical data supporting that.

Point being, the trebles remain unaffected by the coating and will decay in brilliance just as quickly as any other like alloy that does not have a coating. This will occur well before any tarnishing (corrosion) can affect the surface of the string. I think people have been mislead by the aura surrounding coated strings and believe it unconditionally, meaning, it doesn't prompt their curiosity to delve into metal fatigue.

The net life of any string of small cross section stretched to concert pitch will be about 30 days (unplayed) before the loss of original elasticity that emits its full sonic spectrum decays and it begins to go flat. Strings of 0.010" are the first to go.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:13 PM

Interesting post. I just went through this myself. I always felt as though my Taylor had this weird high end presence that was hard to tame. I found out it's the elixir strings. I am still testing strings but even switching to the Martin SP line really made me realize how important strings are. The SP's are far too bright but they brought out a resonance and bass in my 310 that I had never heard before.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:28 PM

My 714ce came with the Elixers. So far I have tried
Earthwood Silk n Steel
DR Dragon Skins
Martin SP
And currently Martin Retros.

All sound better to me than the Elixers with the Martin Retros being the best sounding to me so far.

Next up i# John Pearce

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion