The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-11-2023, 03:10 PM

Question Is there a way to do boogie-woogie shuffle in F?

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, here it is based open E and open A chord positions: L I N K

When trying to shuffle over the F chord in the first position, I'd like to swing between the C and D notes, but my pinky can't reach the latter note while my index finger holds down the F note on the low E string.

I know when Jimmy Reed would play a blues shuffle in the of E, he'd leave out the bass note when playing over the B chord. Maybe I can do something similar.

As long I'm here, I might as well ask if there's a way to shuffle over a first-position Bb chord, the shape based on an A-form barre chord.

Thanks!

(I wish I could afford guitar lessons!)
Old 05-11-2023, 03:45 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orb View Post
Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, here it is based open E and open A chord positions: L I N K

When trying to shuffle over the F chord in the first position, I'd like to swing between the C and D notes, but my pinky can't reach the latter note while my index finger holds down the F note on the low E string.

I know when Jimmy Reed would play a blues shuffle in the of E, he'd leave out the bass note when playing over the B chord. Maybe I can do something similar.

As long I'm here, I might as well ask if there's a way to shuffle over a first-position Bb chord, the shape based on an A-form barre chord.

Thanks!

(I wish I could afford guitar lessons!)
Just put a capo on the first fret.
Old 05-11-2023, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egordon99 View Post
Brilliant answer.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 05-11-2023, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orb View Post
You're right about that stretch - it doesn't come automatically. But I'd encourage you to gain the flexibility in your left hand.

It will be hard for months but it is perfectly possible for ANYONE to do with practice.

FYI - the pinky is not just an 'extra' or 'optional' finger. Your pinky has more muscles and independence than your ring finger.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-11-2023, 04:31 PM

Quote:
This would be my answer.
Old 05-11-2023, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
You're right about that stretch - it doesn't come automatically. But I'd encourage you to gain the flexibility in your left hand.

It will be hard for months but it is perfectly possible for ANYONE to do with practice.

Not quite anyone! Some of us can't even manage a plain old F barre chord.

I do love my capo though.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 05-12-2023, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Sometimes we look for a complicated solution when there's a simpler one right in front of us!
Old 05-12-2023, 09:50 AM

Capo in fret 1 is not a great solution when you're playing in key of C - at least if you still want the options for other chord shapes.

Personally, I can get my pinky on to fret 5 with little problem (index still on 1), in fact I can just get it up to fret 6 for the b7. My hands are pretty average in size, so - unless yours are unusually small (or you have an unfortunate deficiency such as Robin's!) - that stretch will come with practice.

But if you only want to get to fret 5 (and don't want the capo option for whatever reason), my tip is to place the pinky on 5 first, then stretch your index back. That will get your hand into a more comfortable position than starting with the index. (Thumb will be in between the two, back of fret 3.)
And middle finger plays fret 3, btw.
Old 05-12-2023, 12:26 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by aK_bAsh7 View Post
Sometimes we look for a complicated solution when there's a simpler one right in front of us!
Don't raise the bridge... lower the water! I know that if a client comes in the door wanting me to record a blues shuffle in F - RIGHT NOW, the capo is going on. It's too big a stretch for my short fingies.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-12-2023, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

I sometimes use my thumb on the low F, and do the shuffle notes in the higher register. Barring across the 3rd fret on the upper strings while holding the upper notes of the F chord, and then lifting off to the F chord, hammering on the G string, first to second fret.

Hit the low F twice, then the third fret bar across the top strings, then lift off to the F chord and hammer on. I’m sorry I’m not better at describing the stuff. I might whip off a quick video on my phone.
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 05-12-2023, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblefish View Post
I sometimes use my thumb on the low F, and do the shuffle notes in the higher register. Barring across the 3rd fret on the upper strings while holding the upper notes of the F chord, and then lifting off to the F chord, hammering on the G string, first to second fret.

Hit the low F twice, then the third fret bar across the top strings, then lift off to the F chord and hammer on. I’m sorry I’m not better at describing the stuff. I might whip off a quick video on my phone.
THANK YOU!

(For those who wisely suggested using a capo, the song I'm learning has the blues shuffle over an E chord and an F chord.)
Old 05-13-2023, 08:23 AM

As Egordon says, a capo is the obvious answer. But if it's not the answer you're looking for, read on:

1. Don't tune the guitar up half a step. That would add a lot more tension to the bridge, bracing, and top.

2. The sad fact is, some of us have longer fingers than others. A shorter-scale neck might help, but I doubt you want to buy another guitar just to shuffle on F and Bb chords.

3. My question is: Why bother? Why not just play the song in E? They're only a half-step apart, which doesn't make a difference vocally. If you're comfortable singing in F, you'll be comfortable playing in E.

Is it because you play with keyboardists or horn players a lot? If not, just playing the song in E is the way to go. If you do, then shell out for that capo.
Old 05-13-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
As Egordon says, a capo is the obvious answer. But if it's not the answer you're looking for, read on:

1. Don't tune the guitar up half a step. That would add a lot more tension to the bridge, bracing, and top.

2. The sad fact is, some of us have longer fingers than others. A shorter-scale neck might help, but I doubt you want to buy another guitar just to shuffle on F and Bb chords.

3. My question is: Why bother? Why not just play the song in E? They're only a half-step apart, which doesn't make a difference vocally. If you're comfortable singing in F, you'll be comfortable playing in E.

Is it because you play with keyboardists or horn players a lot? If not, just playing the song in E is the way to go. If you do, then shell out for that capo.
Thanks for replying. The song I'm learning has the blues shuffle over an E chord and an F chord.
Old 05-17-2023, 09:48 AM

Use your pinky to play the R on 6th string and 1st finger to barre D, G, B strings at 3rd fret. Yes, 5th and 1st strings will be damped. The only difference between this and the 1st position voicing is the location of the root -- the intervals are all in the same places.

If you are not singing, there are other variations on this type of lick.
This is the type of thing you'd find detailed in one of the many books available on Blues rhythm guitar techniques. Not sure you really need a teacher for this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write