The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-22-2023, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Default Another new original music video from Mark & Jim

Mark and I worked on the music in January (him in Arizona, me in Texas). When we got together for Feb and March in the Phoenix area, we worked on the video...

While it doesn't show in the video, my guitar part was on my Emerald X10. Mark was playing lead on his various electric guitars. He did the the music production, I did the video production. The "garage band" in the video is the group of Mark's friends I get together with once a week or so... they weren't involved in the music, but we thought it would be fun to include "the old guys making some music." Mark is the guy at the opening, yours truly pulls up on his motorcycle.
Old 03-22-2023, 09:53 PM

Well that was fun. Catchy has heck too!

And while that Taylor is stunning, why a wooden 12 string?
Old 03-22-2023, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Well that was fun. Catchy has heck too!

And while that Taylor is stunning, why a wooden 12 string?
Thanks for asking. Timing is everything. When I was ready to commit to a 12-string, I was thinking an Emerald X7-12. I had the opportunity to play several nice Taylor GC 12s at that same time (the 352 was pretty budget friendly). Emerald had one lovely example of that X7-12 model in a koa veneer in stock... and then it was gone. And then Joan saw a photo of the 652ce Wild Honey Burst Builder's Edition. "This one." We found what may have been the only one in stock at that time, and it was a done deal.

Yes, it is wood. Yes, I have to touch up the tuning (a little) each time I pick it up. Yes, I have a humid-pack in the case while we're here in the desert. But, it is a brand I like, it is comfortable to hold and play (nice arm bevel), and it sounds and looks lovely... a sweet tone.

I have the X7 with us in the motorhome (for my daily playing), and leave the 652 at my music partner's house for our regular get-togethers. And in another 10 days, we'll be heading for home again, and I'll have a good selection of guitars to play... some carbon fiber, some wood.

I did bring my Taylor 522ce 12-fret with us on this trip, for the sole purpose of selling it while we're here. It was getting the least playing time of any of my acoustics. Yep, it sold. So, the proportion of CF to wood remains the same.

I wasn't planning on bringing the 12 string this trip, but Mark (my music partner) said, "That will give us a sound we don't already have"... kinda the reason I bought it.

I also brought two guitars (an electric and an acoustic), two 12-channel mixers, and an amp to sell while we're here. All that sold. Along with a couple guitars, a nice Keyboard, and a G&L bass that Mark had... he was on a real selling streak! Bigger market here, plus he has a Reverb account. Joan asked me, "What are you thinking of buying with the proceeds from what you sold?" Honestly, nothing I am looking for; just trying to thin things out. I will re-evaluate again once we get home. She has some ideas for changing around my music room to get a couple other guitars out of cases; and a keyboard out of storage.

What can I say: I like guitars. All kinds of guitars.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 03-22-2023 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03-22-2023, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post

What can I say: I like guitars. All kinds of guitars.
Well, you have "CF and wood" in your signature for as long as I can remember. I've always said that wood is so darn charming, whereas CF is modern, sparkly and travels so well. I also like both and feel there is room for both. I'm especially a big Taylor fan when it comes to instruments made with wood.

I've yet to hear a V-braced 12. I bet it just sings!
Old 03-23-2023, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Well, you have "CF and wood" in your signature for as long as I can remember. I've always said that wood is so darn charming, whereas CF is modern, sparkly and travels so well. I also like both and feel there is room for both. I'm especially a big Taylor fan when it comes to instruments made with wood.

I've yet to hear a V-braced 12. I bet it just sings!
You would win that bet. And that flamed maple back...

For the last decade or so, I have sung the praises of carbon fiber guitars... nothing has changed in that regard. I won't be giving up any of my CF guitars to replace them with wood. Right now, I have room for both.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Nice job, Captain Jim.

Last edited by Methos1979; 03-25-2023 at 07:08 AM.
Old 03-25-2023, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

Btw, Captain Jim - saw this in the gym parking lot a few weeks back and thought you'd get a kick out of it!

Old 03-25-2023, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Nice job, Captain Jim.
Thanks, Scott. Just a couple old guys having fun making music. Neither of us are playing out anymore, so this is a good outlet.

And regarding that license plate: I guess I am Just Jim these days, since I let my license expire. No chance I can get pulled back into it, again. I am enjoying being gainfully unemployed.
Old 03-29-2023, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

I got together with Mark's friends for one last time before we hit the road again. We're rolling out of the Phoenix area Saturday morning.

It's official: I'm part of the band! They even gave me a T-shirt to prove it...

I have fun making music with these guys!
Old 03-30-2023, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

What a cool, fun video Jim! Great that youre still making music with your friends. Really enjoyed it.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 03-30-2023, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

I love it! It looks like you all have a great time. I loved the G&L ASAT Bluesboy guitar.
Martin J-40 Adi custom 2018
Martin OM-28 Adi Gruhn Special
McPherson Sable
Fender American Professional II Telecaster
Fender American Professional II Stratocaster
Northfield Big Mon Engleman top
Northfield Big Mon Adirondack top
Companion custom woody banjo
Fender '68 custom Vibro Champ Reverb amp
Old 03-30-2023, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, Joe and Debbie - we do have fun, whether it is trying a new song that someone suggests or sitting around having lunch (the most of our sessions start out). Almost like a beer commercial: good friends, good times!

Good eye on that G&L, Debbie - I have never been a Telecaster kinda guy, but Mark has that set up so nice (yes, I have played it a time or twelve). He leans towards G&L and PRS the way I go for Emerald and Taylor.
Old 03-31-2023, 06:09 AM

That was great! Clearly a fun time for everyone in the production!

I like your motorcycle too!

Cheers,
Keith
Old 03-31-2023, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaemc2 View Post
That was great! Clearly a fun time for everyone in the production!

I like your motorcycle too!

Cheers,
Keith
Thanks, Keith. These guys are a lot of fun. Mark and I have been playing together (off and on) since we were 15 years old. After he retired a few years ago, we've been able to put more time into making music.

The motorcycle is a Honda CTX; fun bike. I've been riding almost as long as I've been playing guitar. Both have been life-long passions.
Old 03-31-2023, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Thanks, Keith. These guys are a lot of fun. Mark and I have been playing together (off and on) since we were 15 years old. After he retired a few years ago, we've been able to put more time into making music.

The motorcycle is a Honda CTX; fun bike. I've been riding almost as long as I've been playing guitar. Both have been life-long passions.
That's fantastic Jim! Yeah, I enjoyed riding motorcycles for a long time too, but I live in a large city and got scared on a busy freeway about 15 years ago so gave it up. I owned a Yamaha VMax and loved it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber