The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-08-2023, 02:03 PM

Default Rainsong is Closing Their Doors

IMG_5902.jpg

Rainsong is closing their doors.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:06 PM

Just saw the email. It's a shame. I love my Rainsong and it will definitely outlive me.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

I just saw this too. Very sad - the first CF guitar I ever played was a Rainsong. While it was way out of my budget at the time, it opened my eyes to the possibilities of the material.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-08-2023, 02:16 PM

Just saw this as well....like my Rainsong and have had a few but I think they got a bit stagnant over the past few years. I will miss having them as an option for quality carbon guitars.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 11-08-2023, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

I read that today. What a shame. They are my favorite carbon guitars next to Emerald. Man, CA is gone, Rainsong is going, I wonder what will happen next?

If I had the cash, I'd pick up a new Rainsong before they're gone but I asked my credit cards about that today and they all gave me the finger!
Old 11-08-2023, 02:40 PM

Oh man! That is truly sad. My first Rainsong was bought in 2001 and I've accumulated a couple more since then. They dropped their dealer network last year and went to direct sales (like Emerald) but apparently that isn't working out. The musical instrument business is pretty fierce and competitive. Bob Taylor was once asked if he would consider making CF guitars in the interest of sustainability. His reply was, "I couldn't make one for what they are charging".

Sometimes this happens when a principal wants to retire. Ashvin has been the leader for a long time, and maybe no one else in the organization has the skill set to take over if it his time to "ride off into the sunset". Just speculating...
Old 11-08-2023, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studioman001 View Post
...Man, CA is gone, Rainsong is going, I wonder what will happen next? !
And worse still, Blackbird just had a fire that destroyed their shop a few days ago. I'm hopeful but it remains to be seen if they can come back from such a disaster. They had also dropped to a build-to-order business model, and prices had jumped quite a bit over the last two years. Blackbird switched from carbon fiber to ekoa as their primary material.
Old 11-08-2023, 03:15 PM

Sad to hear... Ashvin was always so good to me.. sent me guitars to photo and video to put on my YouTube channel, got me into winter NAMM with Exhibitor passes several times (and passes for a few of my friends) , so I could get in early and have time to see more things at the show and feel darn near important, and trusting me to man the booth a few times!
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 11-08-2023, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Default What a Shame

Wow, I was literally about to order my first Rainsong guitar as a custom order...
Old 11-08-2023, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFidele View Post
Wow, I was literally about to order my first Rainsong guitar as a custom order...
They are not taking any new custom orders according to the updated web page, but maybe there is something in stock that you want? If you wanted something as simple as an N1 neck on an existing body, they might have those parts still laying around. It cannot hurt to call right now and ask Dave.....

I'm still a bit gut-punched over this development. Especially since they just announced a new David Wilcox Signature Edition and new Black Ice models.
Old 11-08-2023, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
They are not taking any new custom orders according to the updated web page, but maybe there is something in stock that you want? If you wanted something as simple as an N1 neck on an existing body, they might have those parts still laying around. It cannot hurt to call and ask Dave.....
Thanks for your advice. I just did. Dave is a great guy. Hopefully we can work something out, but I understand how things like this works. Always wanted a Rainsong and this happens right when I can afford a custom order...
Old 11-08-2023, 04:42 PM

It's a shame to see any business close its doors. I certainly wish the folks at Rainsong well and hope they all find fulfilling working after this.
Old 11-08-2023, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Wow, I'm shocked. I'm very glad I decided to keep my Black Ice Custom dread now!!
Old 11-08-2023, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

I'm sorry to see this, but not really surprised. The more inspired Emerald guitars became, the more I really questioned some of the things that Rainsong was doing...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-08-2023, 06:04 PM

I’ve been rather heartbroken over this. No lie. I absolutely love my RainSong. It is shocking to me that the company would be giving up, although everything I see now in terms of carbon fiber seems to revolve around Emerald. RainSong is a wonderful guitar with fantastic people and awesome customer service. I will cherish my V-DR1100n2 even more than I already do. I wish I also had a parlor model!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber