The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-03-2023, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Default New Emerald X7 strings suggestions

Got a new X7 the other day (yeah, the sale!). The guitar is beautiful… even in the standard Amber carbon fiber that I got. Tone is really great… and smooth, but a bit quiet. My GS Mini sounds louder… and the action is quite high. Wondering what strings are on it… and what strings Forum Folks prefer on an X7. The soft Emerald gig bag is very nice, but came with a 1” slice/tear in it near the headstock. I’ve have tried to contact Emerald, but haven’t had any luck by phone and no response to my email. Suggestions and thoughts?

Last edited by guzzijeff; 08-04-2023 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-03-2023, 09:28 AM

Emerald is on a 2 week holiday so you might need to wait a bit. From what I understand, the sales team is still working, so you could try opening the door with them
Old 08-03-2023, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

According to the FAQ on Emerald's site, the strings factory installed the X7 are Daddario EXP19 Phosphor Bronze, 12-53.

I have not played nor seen a current X7, so I can't comment on how it sounds. What I can say is that my Kestrel has factory installed Daddario EXP11 80/20 Bronze, 12-53 strings and I like them on it just fine, so won't be changing them for different strings.

I purchased my X20 and X20-7 used from another forum member who had changed the strings to what he preferred. According to the Emerald FAQ, the X20 ships with Daddario EXP11 80/20 Bronze, which are the same strings used on the Kestrel, and the X20-7 isn't on that list so I don't know what it was shipped with. The original owner changed to John Pearse pure nickel for the X20-7 and D'addario nickel chrome (?) for the X20. I decided to use John Pearse pure nickel on both.

I don't know that this information is particularly useful for the OP, but maybe the OP will get some ideas from this to think about even though the guitars involved are different. They are still carbon fiber and built by Emerald, so there may be enough similarity to get some useful ideas.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 08-03-2023, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
I purchased my X20 and X20-7 used from another forum member who had changed the strings to what he preferred. According to the Emerald FAQ, the X20 ships with Daddario EXP11 80/20 Bronze, which are the same strings used on the Kestrel, and the X20-7 isn't on that list so I don't know what it was shipped with. The original owner changed to John Pearse pure nickel for the X20-7 and D'addario nickel chrome(?) for the X20. I decided to use John Pearse pure nickel on both.
Nickel Bronze
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-03-2023, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Nickel Bronze
Glad you are here to keep the facts straight. Just the facts...ma'm
I have seen you do that with a number of other posts here too. Keeps us honest.

Edit: By the way, do you (David) recall what strings the X20-7 was shipped with (bra,d model, and gauge)?
Emerald has an FAQ and one of the questions is regarding what strings various models ship with. The Kestrel is in the list, but the X20-7 is not (unless I missed it).

Thanks,

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...

Last edited by tbeltrans; 08-03-2023 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-03-2023, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Edit: By the way, do you (David) recall what strings the X20-7 was shipped with (bra,d model, and gauge)?
Emerald has an FAQ and one of the questions is regarding what strings various models ship with. The Kestrel is in the list, but the X20-7 is not (unless I missed it).
The X20-7 originally shipped with D’Addario EXPs - the gauges were:

12p, 16p, 24, 32, 42, 53, 68

I had the hardest time trying to replicate this set - I really did not (and do not) care for EXPs (or their current equivalent) at all. My first attempt was an Elixir Baritone set, with an extra .012 on top, but that felt weird with three plain strings for first, second and third.

After that, I realized I could match the original setup with the JP Pure Nickel 6-string set with the extra .068 7th, and that’s what I stuck with.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 08-03-2023, 08:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
The X20-7 originally shipped with D’Addario EXPs - the gauges were:

12p, 16p, 24, 32, 42, 53, 68

I had the hardest time trying to replicate this set - I really did not (and do not) care for EXPs (or their current equivalent) at all. My first attempt was an Elixir Baritone set, with an extra .012 on top, but that felt weird with three plain strings for first, second and third.

After that, I realized I could match the original setup with the JP Pure Nickel 6-string set with the extra .068 7th, and that’s what I stuck with.
Thanks David. I appreciate the info. My Kestrel shipped with D'Addario EXP11 (12-53) and I like them on that guitar. I don't know if I would like them on the X20 or X20-7, but since I like the John Pearse Pure Nickel, I will stick with those unless/until I decide to experiment a bit at some point.

It will be interesting to see how you like the EXP11 on the Kestrel. It is a different instrument from the X20 line, so you may find them on this instrument to be fine. Time will tell.

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 08-04-2023, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
Emerald is on a 2 week holiday so you might need to wait a bit. From what I understand, the sales team is still working, so you could try opening the door with them
Thanks for that info… Guess I’ll have to be a bit patient.
Old 08-04-2023, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
According to the FAQ on Emerald's site, the strings factory installed the X7 are Daddario EXP19 Phosphor Bronze, 12-53.

Tony
Thanks Tony. I couldn’t for the life of me find that info on their website!… but I could build a guitar and customize it with their cool 3D Custom Builder program.
Old 08-06-2023, 06:08 AM

I put Thomastik-Infeld Plectrum 11-50 on my X-7 and have never looked back, though admittedly the price is a bit of a diversion.
Old 08-06-2023, 08:54 PM

I like Martin Retros 12s or EB Aluminum Bronze 12s on my X7. Currently have Retros on it.
Old 08-06-2023, 10:54 PM

I have an X-7 that I tune in DADGAD - I use a Newton string set with .013 .017 .020w .027w .036w .059w gauges. With the short scale and DADGAD tuning, this set works really well.

Dave
1916 Gibson A-1 Mandolin
2023 Joe Foley bouzouki
Seamus O'Kane bodhran

Last edited by dmcginnis; 08-06-2023 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-15-2023, 10:57 AM

I have set of Santa Cruz Low-Tension strings on the x7. Immediately, the sound was improved while strumming over the stock D'Addario EXPs. They were noticeably better in tone and focused in the mid-range and lows - chords sounded clean and more vibrant. Initially the new string sound interfered with the tone of the highs/trebles and I wasn't impressed with the tone of individual notes in this range. However, after a few days, the new string sound is wearing off, they are settling in nicely for a well-balanced tone when both strumming and fingerstyle. They are a nice improvement over the stock strings and sound great on the x7.

Last edited by AnotherGuy; 08-15-2023 at 11:46 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber