The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-02-2023, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Anyone do "body tapping percussion " with Anthem or K&K?

I'm seriously considering a cf guitar and have no where local to try out.

I loop a lot of percussive stuff (tapping on the lower bout for "kick" sounds and up by the neck for click/snare. How does cf compare to wood?

My go to is Anthem, but I do have a K&K equipped guitar that also works in wood guitars.
Old 08-02-2023, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbang View Post
I'm seriously considering a cf guitar and have no where local to try out.
Not sure where local is for you, but here's a couple of threads showing where members can audition the carbon fiber guitars owned by other members...https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=600568 https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=646425
Old 08-03-2023, 08:11 AM

There is no obvious reason why percussive sounds would be much different on a CF guitar than on wood. You mention the right sensors. A K&K SBT (sound board transducer) would probably work better than the Anthem, but I can only speculate. There is an Anthem in my X20 but I don't normally do percussive techniques - or plug in.
Old 08-16-2023, 12:27 PM

In terms of percussion, I've found CF to generally sound as nice or better than wood when performing a wrist thump simulating a bass drum. The snare sound (hitting strings with thumb against frets) is not noticeably different than on a wood guitar.

Of the ones I've played personally and worth noting... the McPherson Sable, McPherson Touring, and Emerald x7 are impressive with percussion techniques (and great guitars overall).

I don't have enough experience plugged in with the Anthem or K&K, so I'll defer to other's experience with the pickups.
Old 08-16-2023, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

I guess I'll find out this week. Have an x20 with full anthem installed headed my way.

Fingers crossed!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber