The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-30-2022, 02:00 PM

BTW, I love the miniature parlor guitar hanging in front of the door.
Old 03-30-2022, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Congrats on getting you another X7 Ray ! It looks beautiful. I know you had a Sable, but did you ever have a chance of playing a McPherson Touring? I think that is more comparable to the X7 and I found it to have a completely different tone than the Sable. I don't know of anyone that's done that comparison, it would be interesting to hear any thoughts on it. Again, glad to see you back in the CF fold !!
I never did play a Touring. The X7's 24" scale length is already shorter than I prefer and the Touring is less than 23", so I never really considered one.

My timing with the X7 was really kind of fortuitous. I got home on Saturday and picked up the X7, and then for the several days since, temperatures have plunged and are giving us one good last shot (hopefully!) of winter. Indoor humidity is in the mid to low 20's as well, and I don't really want to fire up a humidifier for what should be just a few more days or a week of winter temperatures. So I've been very content to leave the two wooden guitars in their humidified cases and just play the X7 since I've been home.

And it's really been growing on me by the day. Not so much in terms of comfort/playability - I'm not crazy about the neck and it is a very small guitar. But it's just sounding better and better to me as I adapt to it again, get used to playing with a heavier pick again, etc, etc. It's such a sweet sounding and resonant guitar - this little plastic body sustains like nobody's business. I bought it primarily for the convenience of carbon fiber, but I remembering now what a nice voice this little guitar has. Really enjoying getting to know it again. And I guess I've become a somewhat more comfortable fingerpicker in the couple years since I last had an X7, but I'm actually finding ways to play this one without undue contortions or discomfort. All in all, really happy to have it!

-Ray
Old 03-30-2022, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esimms86 View Post
BTW, I love the miniature parlor guitar hanging in front of the door.
Yeah, that's a Christmas tree ornament my wife gave me years ago, but it hasn't seen a tree in several years. It seems to like to hang out with it's larger brethren and give them advice on how to be guitars...

-Ray
Old 03-31-2022, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
It's such a sweet sounding and resonant guitar - this little plastic body sustains like nobody's business.
You misspelled ‘carbon fiber’
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-31-2022, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
You misspelled ‘carbon fiber’
TomAAto, TomAHto...

-Ray
Old 03-31-2022, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the X7 Ray and welcome back to the carbon fiber world.

I dig the all carbon look vs veneer too ...mine is, coincidentally, Emerald green.
Old 03-31-2022, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new X7 Ray. While I've never been able to play an Emerald, I read great things about them. For now I'll just keep playing my Rainsong
Congrats again.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 03-31-2022, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Welcome back to carbon fiber Ray!
I’m still enjoying the earlier (series 2?) X7 I got from you a few years ago.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
Welcome back to carbon fiber Ray!
I’m still enjoying the earlier (series 2?) X7 I got from you a few years ago.
Right - I almost forgot about that one. I guess I’m on my third X7 then. Glad you’re still enjoying it…

-Ray
Old 04-01-2022, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

I entered and then left the Emerald fold only to re-enter with my current Amicus and X20. Some may wonder why someone would re-purchase the same models, and I suppose that's a good question. I'll just say that my "revived" Amicus and X20 sound, play and feel better than the original ones I owned so I feel no shame and harbor no regret...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 04-01-2022, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I entered and then left the Emerald fold only to re-enter with my current Amicus and X20. Some may wonder why someone would re-purchase the same models, and I suppose that's a good question. I'll just say that my "revived" Amicus and X20 sound, play and feel better than the original ones I owned so I feel no shame and harbor no regret...
FWIW, I don't like my new X7 any more than my last one, at least as far as I can recall sounds. I only sold my last one because I couldn't afford to keep it when I bought my CEO-7. Now I'm in a different position, wanted to have a Carbon Fiber option, and the X7 is the one I liked most of those I've owned and played. AND, it will double as an excellent travel guitar, given it's diminutive size, even in the gig bag.

I've been playing the X7 pretty much exclusively since I got it because the indoor humidity has been SOOO low over the past week. But today it's creeping back up near 40% and I pulled out my 000-28EC and my CEO-7, and they both put the X7 firmly back into third place - I like the feel and sound of those guitars in a way I never did or (likely) could like the X7. But, man, what a great option to have as a third alternative when conditions are such that you don't want to pull out a nice wood guitar, or for traveling, etc. I'm really fortunate and happy to be able to own this fine guitar again...

-Ray

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber