The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-04-2022, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
That's because you don't have to "bang away" on an X30 to make yourself heard, but if making the loudest sound is your goal then the X30 is the way to go...
RP,

Well, I might not say that making the loudest sound is my goal, but I don't want a quiet guitar. I had an Eastman OM when I first started and I wished it was louder. That made me think perhaps I wanted a dreadnaught instead. I never want to deal with humidity issues ever again, so that led me to Emerald and the X20. There has been more than one comment here on the forum that the X20 might be on the smallish side and a little quiet, so that led me to wondering about the X30... whew! There's too many choices, really, especially for a beginner! Thanks for the comments!
Emerald X30 Woody
Traveler EG-1 Custom
Old 03-04-2022, 05:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
RP,

Well, I might not say that making the loudest sound is my goal, but I don't want a quiet guitar. I had an Eastman OM when I first started and I wished it was louder. That made me think perhaps I wanted a dreadnaught instead. I never want to deal with humidity issues ever again, so that led me to Emerald and the X20. There has been more than one comment here on the forum that the X20 might be on the smallish side and a little quiet, so that led me to wondering about the X30... whew! There's too many choices, really, especially for a beginner! Thanks for the comments!
Who do you want it to be loud FOR? For an audience or for you when you’re playing? Because in my experience, the newer Emeralds, with the sound holes that point both out and UP, are all very loud to the player, even the relatively diminutive X7. Out front, maybe no louder or not as loud as comparable front soundhole guitars, but that soundhole pointing up, inches from your face, really does create that JBL commercial feel - hang on to your chair! I’ve personally owned an X20 (2018 model, with the smaller cutaway than the current model) and two X7s, a 2017 model (really REALLY little with a front facing soundhole) and a current model (not nearly as small and with the current up and out facing soundhole). There was very little difference in volume out front - when my wife heard me play or when I recorded or tested with a sound meter, even the tiny older X7 was basically as loud as the newer X7 or the X20, but when I was playing them, the X20 and the X7 with the newer soundhole design were WAAAAY louder to my ear than the older X7 with the front facing soundhole. And there was no perceivable difference between the volume of the X20 and newer X7 - I think with the sound meter they were more or less the same volume as well.

But while both were both plenty loud, they do sound quite different. The newer X7, for reasons I’m not sure I understand, sounded both warmer and a bit fuller than the larger X20. The X20 had a much brighter sound, which I’ve described as “tinny” in the past, angering some X20 lovers who objected to the term. But let’s just say it was a much brighter guitar than the X7, which is a good thing for some but not for others - I preferred the X7 sound by a lot. The X7 had a 12 fret join (as does the X30), while the X20 joins at the 14th fret - I don’t know if that explains the difference or not?

I’ve never played an X30, but I’ve probably listened to every sound clip of them about a dozen times. I’m in West Chester, so if you find one to play locally, let me know - I’d like to check it out too. My impression is that the X30 sounds more like the X7 than the X20, just a lot bigger with a lot more bass. But a full, warm sounding guitar and not all that bright. Maybe it does have something to do with the 12 fret join? I really don’t think I want that big or that loud a guitar, even if I found it comfortable to play, so I was very happy with the newer X7. Kept it quite a while, sold it for reasons that made sense at the time (it was my only acoustic for much of the time I had it), but I now wish I still had it, so may yet buy another one at some point.

In any case, good luck, but if it’s volume for you as the player you’re after, I think you’ll find any of the acoustic oriented Emeralds quite loud - I don’t think the electrically oriented X10 or Virtua are in the same league acoustically. If you want a cannon to work in a bluegrass jam, maybe bigger makes a bit more of a difference…

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 03-04-2022 at 05:18 AM.
Old 03-04-2022, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Ray's point about the location of Emerald's sound holes is a good one in that the Emerald player gets washed over with the guitar's sound as opposed to the traditional sound hole location. I'd also add that I've owned two Emerald X20s - one was before they revamped them and my current one was post-revamp. The first had a sound that was kind of meh, but I love the tone of the current one so there's that...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 03-04-2022 at 08:43 AM.
Old 03-04-2022, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
... It also doesn't help that he's like 6'3". It makes the guitars look smaller. I'm 5'8" and that makes a big difference. There's another review (guy with a long hair and a beard...can't remember his name) and his tiny daughter grabbed the X30 and evidently loved playing it.... How are you liking your x20?
Agreed... I'm also 5'8", which along with shoulder issues has been one reason I've gravitated toward 00 body sizes. But the X20 has proven to be really comfortable. I didn't pick up any of my other guitars for about a month after I bought it. It brings a different sound than my wood guitars, which is what I was looking for.
Old 03-04-2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I really don’t think I want that big or that loud a guitar, even if I found it comfortable to play, so I was very happy with the newer X7. Kept it quite a while, sold it for reasons that made sense at the time (it was my only acoustic for much of the time I had it), but I now wish I still had it, so may yet buy another one at some point.
-Ray
Ray- was your newer version X7 the pinless bridge design? I don't recall it was, in which case the guitars may even sound a little different yet again since there is less mass and more direct string transfer to the bridge with the latest designs.
Old 03-04-2022, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ray's point about the location of Emerald's sound holes is a good one in that the Emerald player gets washed over with the guitar's sound as opposed to the traditional sound hole location. I'd also add that I've owned two Emerald X20s - one was before they revamped them and my current one was post-revamp. The first had a sound that was kind of meh, but I love the tone of the current one so there's that...
Man, if I liked the sound, I'd probably be more interested in another X20 than X7. And I'm always wondering about the newly configured X20. Comments like yours tend to make me more interested. But then again, you're a Taylor guy when it comes to wood guitars, and I generally have found the Taylors I've played (and the one I've owned) to be notably brighter than I've liked. So, I'm still leery about the X20, probably wouldn't risk buying another when I KNOW I like the X7. The scale is a little shorter than I prefer and the location of the bridge near the back of the body makes fingerpicking a near no-go for me, but I've got two other guitars that work well for finger style - a LOT better than I work for finger style. And I love the sound of the X7 for strumming and singing with, and for picking with a pick. And the X7 was and would be pretty great for travel as well as being a good all-weather guitar for when that matters.

-Ray
Old 03-04-2022, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Hi Carol - I own both the X20 and the X30, and honestly, if you're looking for a big sound when strumming, there's no comparison -- you should go with the X30. Not even close. As for comfort, I'm roughly your height -- I'm 5'9" -- and it is very comfortable. I have been using it as my primary "couch" guitar in recent months, and have no problems with any shoulder pain or discomfort of any kind. The contour really makes it feel like a much smaller guitar. I also own a dreadnought acoustic, and can tell you it is much more comfortable than a dreadnought. To me, the X30 feels as small as an OOO or maybe even smaller than that.

The volume and tone of the X30 are amazing. Yes, if there is any "drawback", it can be a bit heavy on the bass (i.e. somewhat "boomy") (depending on your taste/style), but that can be mitigated with the right strings.
Old 03-04-2022, 03:27 PM

How "close" to Philly? I'm in Jonestown, which is about 20-25 minutes east of Harrisburg.

Have an X30 and a Virtuo.
Old 03-04-2022, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Ray- was your newer version X7 the pinless bridge design? I don't recall it was, in which case the guitars may even sound a little different yet again since there is less mass and more direct string transfer to the bridge with the latest designs.
No, it wasn’t pinless. How different would that sound? I assumed it was mostly a looks / convenience thing…

-Ray
Old 03-04-2022, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Who do you want it to be loud FOR? For an audience or for you when you’re playing? Because in my experience, the newer Emeralds, with the sound holes that point both out and UP, are all very loud to the player, even the relatively diminutive X7. Out front, maybe no louder or not as loud as comparable front soundhole guitars, but that soundhole pointing up, inches from your face, really does create that JBL commercial feel - hang on to your chair! I’ve personally owned an X20 (2018 model, with the smaller cutaway than the current model) and two X7s, a 2017 model (really REALLY little with a front facing soundhole) and a current model (not nearly as small and with the current up and out facing soundhole). There was very little difference in volume out front - when my wife heard me play or when I recorded or tested with a sound meter, even the tiny older X7 was basically as loud as the newer X7 or the X20, but when I was playing them, the X20 and the X7 with the newer soundhole design were WAAAAY louder to my ear than the older X7 with the front facing soundhole. And there was no perceivable difference between the volume of the X20 and newer X7 - I think with the sound meter they were more or less the same volume as well.

But while both were both plenty loud, they do sound quite different. The newer X7, for reasons I’m not sure I understand, sounded both warmer and a bit fuller than the larger X20. The X20 had a much brighter sound, which I’ve described as “tinny” in the past, angering some X20 lovers who objected to the term. But let’s just say it was a much brighter guitar than the X7, which is a good thing for some but not for others - I preferred the X7 sound by a lot. The X7 had a 12 fret join (as does the X30), while the X20 joins at the 14th fret - I don’t know if that explains the difference or not?

I’ve never played an X30, but I’ve probably listened to every sound clip of them about a dozen times. I’m in West Chester, so if you find one to play locally, let me know - I’d like to check it out too. My impression is that the X30 sounds more like the X7 than the X20, just a lot bigger with a lot more bass. But a full, warm sounding guitar and not all that bright. Maybe it does have something to do with the 12 fret join? I really don’t think I want that big or that loud a guitar, even if I found it comfortable to play, so I was very happy with the newer X7. Kept it quite a while, sold it for reasons that made sense at the time (it was my only acoustic for much of the time I had it), but I now wish I still had it, so may yet buy another one at some point.

In any case, good luck, but if it’s volume for you as the player you’re after, I think you’ll find any of the acoustic oriented Emeralds quite loud - I don’t think the electrically oriented X10 or Virtua are in the same league acoustically. If you want a cannon to work in a bluegrass jam, maybe bigger makes a bit more of a difference…

-Ray

As I said in a prior post - I'm in Jonestown, about 10 minutes east of Harrisburg. That's about an hour I guess west of West Chester.
Old 03-04-2022, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'd also add that I've owned two Emerald X20s - one was before they revamped them and my current one was post-revamp. The first had a sound that was kind of meh, but I love the tone of the current one so there's that...
Oh great RP, saying stuff like that is like setting the "hook", now I'm curious too.....was there any difference between the two other than the changes Emerald made? Veneer? Options?
Old 03-04-2022, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
How "close" to Philly? I'm in Jonestown, which is about 20-25 minutes east of Harrisburg.

Have an X30 and a Virtuo.
Hey, I live in West Chester, about an hour or hour and a half from Jonestown. I’d love to check out your X30. And Virtua and Rainsong, but my primary interest is the X30. I’m in North Carolina until the end of March, but I’d love to work something out in April or May, totally at your convenience of course…

-Ray
Old 03-04-2022, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Hey, I live in West Chester, about an hour or hour and a half from Jonestown. I’d love to check out your X30. And Virtua and Rainsong, but my primary interest is the X30. I’m in North Carolina until the end of March, but I’d love to work something out in April or May, totally at your convenience of course…

-Ray
I'm sure we could figure something out!
Old 03-04-2022, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
I'm sure we could figure something out!
Cool, I’ll shoot you a message once I’m back…

-Ray
Old 03-04-2022, 06:17 PM

Quote:
No, it wasn’t pinless. How different would that sound? I assumed it was mostly a looks / convenience thing…

-Ray

But what about all those pages and pages on the AGF singing the praises of different types of bridge pins; how your missing out if your guitar doesn’t have heart of Palo Santo with ox bone inlays? Just kidding, but I do wonder if there is some notable difference with the pinless design tonally.

-Sean

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber