The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-13-2023, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Default Emerald Guitars - 30 Day Tryout

Got this in an email from Emerald Guitars today...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mail.jpg (53.8 KB, 230 views)
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-13-2023, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Got this in an email from Emerald Guitars today...
I believe they have had that for quite some time on already built in stock guitars.

Not sure if it has changed as a policy or just they are advertising it more heavily.
Old 03-13-2023, 11:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
I believe they have had that for quite some time on already built in stock guitars.

Not sure if it has changed as a policy or just they are advertising it more heavily.
It used to be a 10-day return period for stock instruments. The FAQ still refers to this, as it doesn't appear to have been updated:

"For those who purchase a stock guitar directly from Emerald Guitars, we know it’s important you have the confidence in knowing that if you find the instrument does not suit you for any reason that you are not stuck with it. You can return a production series stock guitar within 10 days after delivery, for a full refund. The product must be shipped back in the original packaging, in excellent condition, and the customer is responsible for the return shipping cost."

It's not clear who's responsible for return shipping for the new 30-day trial, but the ad seems to imply that Emerald would pay for it - 'risk free'.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-14-2023, 05:47 AM
Charter Member

I checked out their stock. Seems to me they have quite a number of guitars in stock. I'm beginning to wonder if this is some type of clearance sale with the carrot being the 30 day return and free shipping as opposed to a discount.
Old 03-14-2023, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingThru View Post
I checked out their stock. Seems to me they have quite a number of guitars in stock. I'm beginning to wonder if this is some type of clearance sale with the carrot being the 30 day return and free shipping as opposed to a discount.
The perennial complaint about Emerald is that you can’t play one before you buy. I suspect that this is a move designed to make that as easy as possible.
Cordoba Stage

Old 03-14-2023, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
The perennial complaint about Emerald is that you can’t play one before you buy. I suspect that this is a move designed to make that as easy as possible.
And if you've had and played an Emerald for close to 30 days, you're probably going to hang onto it for keeps...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-14-2023, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
And if you've had and played an Emerald for close to 30 days, you're probably going to hang onto it for keeps...
Or not, but getting to play one for a couple of weeks is the surest way to find out…

-Ray
Old 03-14-2023, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
Or not, but getting to play one for a couple of weeks is the surest way to find out…

-Ray
It certainly is a great help in assessing whether it works for you. In my case I had the opportunity to try another forum members and came to the conclusion that I felt this was likely to be a long term keeper for me which meant I made the call to custom order a wider neck.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:03 AM

Didn’t Emerald guitars used to come w lifetime warranty? This seems to indicate 3 year warranty.
Old 03-14-2023, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

I will add to this discussion that there has been questions in the past how consistent the Emerald guitars are.

I can add one data point in that KevinH and I both have X20s. His about a year old and mine from this year. We got together and tried comparing them back and forth both with different / older strings and then both did a string change and compared them on the same fresh strings.

Both guitars are with no stock pickup his had an ultratonic installed at the time of test. Mine has a wider neck than stock and we have different veneers and I have vibrant carbon. Otherwise they are identical spec.

We noted that with different strings there was a pretty large difference. With the older version of the common string there was a pretty significant difference in tone as expected. But with the same age fresh strings on neither of us could tell any significant difference tone wise.

Also the setups were very close so aside from the very noticeable difference due to the slight increase in neck width / string spacing on mine, the feel was also quite similar.

From a sample of 2 this is indicating pretty strong consistency assuming similar spec for recent builds.
Old 03-14-2023, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
It's not clear who's responsible for return shipping for the new 30-day trial, but the ad seems to imply that Emerald would pay for it - 'risk free'.
Customer pays for return shipping:

https://emeraldguitars.com/terms-conditions/

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvguitars2005 View Post
Didn’t Emerald guitars used to come w lifetime warranty? This seems to indicate 3 year warranty.
I don't recall what it used to be, but it is 3 years now:

https://emeraldguitars.com/warranty/
Cordoba Stage

Old 03-14-2023, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvguitars2005 View Post
I thought this was strange. The ad promotes how great their build quality is but then they only provide a 3-year structural warranty on a carbon fiber instrument. In contrast, Rainsong and Blackbird provide lifetime warranties, as, of course, do many builders of wood instruments.

Last edited by sumokids; 03-15-2023 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-15-2023, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

Now if they paid return shipping, that would be news worthy an move some stock.
Old 03-15-2023, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Rainsong offers the same 30-day return period, with the buyer paying return shipping:

https://www.rainsong.com/warranty-return-policy
https://www.rainsong.com/warranty-terms-conditions
Cordoba Stage

Old 03-15-2023, 08:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Seems right that any interested party should have "some skin in the game"... if someone is planning to keep the guitar, they should have no concern. If someone "just wants to try one," it doesn't seem fair that Emerald should eat the cost both ways.

I was surprised by the "30 day trial," since you should know in the first day if the guitar is right for you. Having purchased 3 Emeralds, I assumed each one would be "the right guitar." I have not been disappointed.

The 30 day trial seems plenty generous. I have great faith in their products... not so much in the general public. I've seen the replies to Emerald's posts on Facebook, where people say, "Send me one and I'll tell everyone how good it is." This isn't some cheap Chinese action cam. Sure, we've seen the occasional legit guitar content poster who gets one to try out, but that isn't what this offer is all about.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber