The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-07-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Just curious, how do you like the new fretboard compared to the old one?
Noticed I never answered this. I like the new fretboard much better than the old. I wasn't a huge fan of the mirror gloss, and the photos of the new material overemphasize the linear sheen on the new one. It doesn't feel rough or splintery at all.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt in the Sun View Post
Noticed I never answered this. I like the new fretboard much better than the old. I wasn't a huge fan of the mirror gloss, and the photos of the new material overemphasize the linear sheen on the new one. It doesn't feel rough or splintery at all.
Well that's good to hear since I really liked their previous fretboard.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:24 AM

Looks like it's been dipped in chocolate. Is that a PRS?
Old 09-09-2019, 09:03 AM

Some continued tweaking going on here. Normally I love this process, but not so much in this case...maybe because there's so much more $$ on the line!

I'm pulling out the Anthem. I've tried every trick I know but still can't get the strings even remotely balanced - the low E and A overpower everything else. I ordered an HFN active V-T yesterday, which should arrive this week and give me time for install before the church gig on Sunday. I'm a little nervous about feedback with that SBT-only setup, so will have the old Taylor as backup.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melt in the Sun View Post
Some continued tweaking going on here. Normally I love this process, but not so much in this case...maybe because there's so much more $$ on the line!

I'm pulling out the Anthem. I've tried every trick I know but still can't get the strings even remotely balanced - the low E and A overpower everything else. I ordered an HFN active V-T yesterday, which should arrive this week and give me time for install before the church gig on Sunday. I'm a little nervous about feedback with that SBT-only setup, so will have the old Taylor as backup.
Good decision on removing the Anthem for a Schatten HFN. That pickup has good feedback rejection for a SBT. In my tests it was just shy of the Fishman Matrix UST for feedback rejection which I was quite surprised with.

You story is starting to sound all too familiar though. When it comes to getting a balanced UST, no matter what brand, an uneven saddle is usually the culprit. When I was facing the same issue I was literally scratching my head. It wasn't until I swapped saddles in different guitars and different UST's that I concluded that my saddle slot was uneven in my X20. While I don't have the proper tools for verifying (like the one Stewmac sells) I took a chance and filed the saddle slot with a proper saddle file and got the UST perfectly balanced.

The unplugged sound on my X20 is much improved since I lightly sanded down the sound board a couple weeks ago. I got rid of most of the low end mud. Before that the bass strings dominated the trebles. I hope you don't have the same issue.
Old 09-09-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Good decision on removing the Anthem for a Schatten HFN. That pickup has good feedback rejection for a SBT. In my tests it was just shy of the Fishman Matrix UST for feedback rejection which I was quite surprised with.
I've seen you and several others say this, so I'm cautiously optimistic!

Quote:
You story is starting to sound all too familiar though. When it comes to getting a balanced UST, no matter what brand, an uneven saddle is usually the culprit. When I was facing the same issue I was literally scratching my head. It wasn't until I swapped saddles in different guitars and different UST's that I concluded that my saddle slot was uneven in my X20. While I don't have the proper tools for verifying (like the one Stewmac sells) I took a chance and filed the saddle slot with a proper saddle file and got the UST perfectly balanced.
I suspected the same here. I don't have a proper saddle slot file, but I did do a little scraping with a long razor blade. It was not entirely level (slot a little low under the B) but it didn't do anything for the out-of-control low strings. If the HFN is a bust I'll probably just take it to a shop and have them re-install/troubleshoot it for me.

Quote:
The unplugged sound on my X20 is much improved since I lightly sanded down the sound board a couple weeks ago. I got rid of most of the low end mud. Before that the bass strings dominated the trebles. I hope you don't have the same issue.
I don't - I'm very happy with the sound! It's very balanced, great clarity, and none of the honky BRAP BRAP I heard in some CF guitars I tried.
Old 04-06-2022, 11:53 AM

It's been a long time, but I finally played this guitar w/ the Schatten HFN V-T in a gig w/ decent stage volume. It handled it with flying colors, and many compliments on the sound. Finally time to sell the Anthem I've been sitting on for 2 years!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber