The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-02-2019, 07:21 AM

Default Help with the value of a 2004 Emerald X20

My son got a new CF guitar and we are considering (just considering, we have not decided yet) to put on sale his faithful "vintage" red Emerald X20, purchased from Alistair in...2004!
I have no idea about the possible fair value of this guitar, and I wonder if some forum members can give me their opinion? Here is a detailed description:
this X20 is the model with center sound hole, and Parker composite fretboard (at that time all Emerald guitars had a Parker fretboard and center sound holes)
The neck width is 11/16. stainless steel frets. Acoustic-electric with LE Baggs pick up. I believe (not sure because I do not have a current X20) that the body or the depth of the guitar is slightly smaller than today's X20.
Condition: it has been well taken care for but still it is a 14 years old guitar, therefore there are several sign of use, however normal signs of use like small scratches here and there that can be seen under the right light. No dents/dings. Frets do not have wear. Years ago while changing strings my son lost a bridge pin therefore the bridge pins are not original, just standard plastic bridge pins.
This was one of the first Emerald built with a truss rod, when the guitar arrived the truss rod was basically stuck and stripped out, therefore the relief of the neck has never been adjusted and it is still the same that was set up in the factory. It is an average relief, not too much not too little, although I prefer a bit less relief usually. No strings buzz, playability is great.
Thanks for your opinion and I hope that I didn't post this question in the wrong section of the Forum. If so, moderators please let me know!
Old 01-02-2019, 07:34 AM

Didn’t know X20s went back that far..interesting.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-02-2019, 09:49 AM

I don't want to speculate too much, but the stuck truss rod will be a big deal to a potential buyer. Even if the relief is currently good, buyers will want the option of making adjustments. On the plus side, you can say that it is now 14 years old and the action hasn't changed, so unlikely to change in the future. Personally I would find the 1-11/16" nut width to be an obstacle.

Consider the going street price on a Rainsong CH-OM or CH-WS. The C-H series put major downward pressure on the prices of used CF guitars. Why buy used for $1100 when you can buy brand new for $1350 (for example)? A friend bought an older used Rainsong DR-1000 a few years ago before the less expensive Composite Hybrid line came out, and paid $900 for it in VGC with functional pickup and hard case, as a point of reference. Another bought an early WS-1000 for $1100 as part of an estate sale.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Didn’t know X20s went back that far..interesting.
My understanding also was that X20's didn't exist until much, much later. This is news to me.

Could gerardo1000 have meant 2014? Is a photo possible? It would be great to have a look.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:10 AM

The first Emerald guitars were launched in 2001. Please look at the Emerald guitars story: https://emeraldguitars.com/the-emera...v=7516fd43adaa
My son is 24 and he and I got the X20 when he was 10 years old. He has the guitar now (he does not live with me). I will take some photos at the first occasion.
This X 20 belongs to the period when Alistair was building a center hole X 30 in green (I had one for a while) with a weird 6 pieces saddle connected to a pick up. I am really talking of the very first years of his enterprise. Go figure than one year before I bought from him an X20 shaped guitar built only with fiberglass! At the time when I purchased the X20 carbon fiber, the only models were X10, X20 and X30, if I remember well. Yes the stripped out nut of the truss rod maybe an obstacle unless someone would be able to replace the nut. Actually, I am not even really sure that the truss rod is stuck, because the spoiled truss rod nut prevents to turn the truss rod properly.
The guitar for sure is built like a tank and apart from normal cosmetic wear here and there it really is like 14 years ago ! But if the market value is too low, we will keep it of course. That is why I am looking for opinions ! Thanks.

Last edited by gerardo1000; 01-02-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

I think the correct answer will be what someone is willing to pay for it, and that probably won't be much. The market for used CF guitars in like new condition isn't that great. The number of CF players is actually quite small. Your X20 may be a keeper.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

OP says it is a center sound hole....

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-11-2019 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Deleted quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:12 PM

Yes yes, it has a center sound hole, a Parker composite fretboard, it has been bought in 2004.... I don't get why some of you do not believe me ?
May be because most members of this forum became acquainted to Emerald after 2010 when Alistair re-opened the business. He didn't produce guitars for some time after Parker stopped to supply him its fretboards...but believe me Emerald started selling guitars in 2001!
Old 01-02-2019, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
May be because most members of this forum became acquainted to Emerald after 2010 when Alistair re-opened the business. He didn't produce guitars for some time after Parker stopped to supply him its fretboards...but believe me Emerald started selling guitars in 2001!
Ahhh makes sense...way back when I was just a kid.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 01-02-2019, 07:23 PM
Guest 928

I WOULD BE TEMPTED TO GIVE THE GUITAR TO SOME DESERVING YOUNG PLAYER. kRAMSTER'S A YOUNG DUDE, HE COULD PROBABLY USE JUST SUCH A GUITAR.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber