The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-25-2018, 04:07 PM

I'll know for sure in 4-5 months as I asked for the k&k prep work for my X20. Though, I'll be putting a Schatten HFN in there after my recent experience with this pickup!
Old 12-26-2018, 07:03 AM

The last time this came up some one had a quote from Alistair that the issue is the molded-in bridge leaves a slight impression underneath it. I don't think the problem is that the CF fabric is too rough, but rather the surface is not flat overall.

Because Emerald molds their guitars as one piece it is not as easy or necessary to remove all the mold release compound. That step is critical to other manufacturers CF guitars since poorly performed it would screw up final assembly (gluing on the top, bridge, fret board overhang, etc.).

K&K recommends putting the head wires towards the sound hole and a little twist to keep them centered inside the guitar body. Here's a pic of most recent K&K install in a CF (RainSong) guitar. I did no surface prep before gluing in the K&K. If the surface is reasonably flat (but not smooth, gel cyanoacrylate will fill those gaps nicely) and you suspect it might still be contaminated with mold release compound, I would clean it rather than sand it. A quick on-line search recommends mineral spirits and a rag.

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 12-26-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post

The more I look at that pic the more curious I get. Do anyone know what that prep work actually is?
To my eye it looks like clear epoxy that was sanded flat after it was applied and hardened. I think this is the best idea yet for K&K installation in a CF guitar. Someday that pickup is going to need to be removed and glued directly to CF fabric the typical razor blade removal method risks serious structural damage to the guitar.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 12-26-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
To my eye it looks like clear epoxy that was sanded flat after it was applied and hardened. I think this is the best idea yet for K&K installation in a CF guitar. Someday that pickup is going to need to be removed and glued directly to CF fabric the typical razor blade removal method risks serious structural damage to the guitar.
Right on that would make sense. It certainly looks cool whatever it is.
Old 01-01-2019, 08:06 AM

Thanks to everyone that participated in the answer. I mounted the pickup after light sanding and cleaning with a damp cloth and alcohol. I left the UST pickup installed until my next string change. Everything went well. I decided to look for a new UST as a spare just in case I decide to sell the guitar at a later date.(for the next owner). No one lives forever and this guitar will be around long after I'm gone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber