The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 05-14-2023, 07:36 PM

Default Books

Anybody got any MAGIC Book recommendations? It would be for Moderate/advanced skills. I don't mind spending 20-30 bucks on a book as long as it pushes my skillset along. I have a stack of good ones, but I have sort of plateau'd.

Classical...Bach, Sor, etc.
Roots (Doc Watson, Tony Rice, Kenny Sultan...etc)
and mixed ones with fingerstyle or good flatipicking.

We have an awesome used bookstore but I have spent hours and have sucked every good advanced book out of the place...There is 50 entry level books for every advanced book.

any faves???
Old 05-15-2023, 06:04 AM

Hi there - if you can find an affordable copy, Tommy Emmanuel: Solo Guitar Style is a treasure trove of great transcriptions, technical insights, stories and more. None of us will ever play like TE, but this book - and its terrific CD - will help most get a little closer.

The Guitar Book by Pierre Bensusan is another treasury that strays well beyond mere guitar tab and tuition, dipping into philosophy and even the odd recipe.

...and finally, Heavy Neckin' - seven genius level instrumentals by Jerry Reed, transcribed by John Knowles who describes trying to pin them down as akin to eating soup with a fork. Well worth trying to track down - they'll keep you occupied for months and are guaranteed to put a smile on your face

Apologies if you already have some/all of those, and happy hunting.

Angus
Yamaha LL-11e (Bert)
Gibson Chet Atkins Studio Classic
Terry Pack SJRS
Harmony H173 Prismatone (Clawdia)
Harmony H174 (Clawdette)
Old 05-16-2023, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobell View Post
Hi there - if you can find an affordable copy, Tommy Emmanuel: Solo Guitar Style is a treasure trove of great transcriptions, technical insights, stories and more. None of us will ever play like TE, but this book - and its terrific CD - will help most get a little closer.

The Guitar Book by Pierre Bensusan is another treasury that strays well beyond mere guitar tab and tuition, dipping into philosophy and even the odd recipe.

...and finally, Heavy Neckin' - seven genius level instrumentals by Jerry Reed, transcribed by John Knowles who describes trying to pin them down as akin to eating soup with a fork. Well worth trying to track down - they'll keep you occupied for months and are guaranteed to put a smile on your face

Apologies if you already have some/all of those, and happy hunting.

Angus
I actually just found that Heavy Necking in a free PDF online here: https://dokumen.tips/documents/jerry...le.html?page=4

That looks FUN!
Old 05-17-2023, 03:14 AM

Enjoy if you haven't got them, the originals are well worth seeking out - they can be tricky to find and not all were recorded by Reed, so we have Chet Atkins to thank for saving them for posterity.

Heavy Neckin' originally came with a cassette of recordings by John Knowles of each instrumental - they're well worth having as in my view too many players/instructors play his stuff way too fast. Drop me a message if you're interested in the audio.

They're all good, but Struttin' is a personal favourite - this is not as easy as he makes it look:

Happy pickin'

Angus
Yamaha LL-11e (Bert)
Gibson Chet Atkins Studio Classic
Terry Pack SJRS
Harmony H173 Prismatone (Clawdia)
Harmony H174 (Clawdette)

Last edited by Suilven; 05-17-2023 at 05:27 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write