The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-26-2023, 05:31 PM

Default Preferred pinless bridge (Emerald X20) string changing method?

I have ordered an Emerald X20 (in Emerald green, with HyVibe pickup installed), and I am curious as to what the preferred method of changing strings is.

I have seen a couple of videos that recommend an approach of using one hand to maintain tension on the string at all times after getting the ball end seated properly.

And I have heard of another technique of using a capo to hold down the strings instead of holding tension with one hand.

The capo method seems like a better idea to me, because it's like having the proverbial "third hand", but I was wondering, how do you get the capo across all six strings when it sounds like they will be flopping around all over the place? If you grab them all in one hand, and hold the capo in the other, then won't they all just end up together in a bunch? If so, then I guess you just even them out in their proper places after applying the capo? But then some slight raising of the capo would occur as the strings pass over each other to get in their proper places, resulting in loss of tension?

One of those spider capos sounds like a good idea in this case. I think the spider capo that I am thinking of has one separate little swiveling lever for each string that can be raised off of the string or lowered to capo the string, and it can be applied to the fretboard with all six levers in a raised position. If that is the case, then I could apply the capo with the levers raised, and then proceed to put a string into its bridge slot, pull it tight along the fretboard, and clamp it down with its designated capo lever.

Uh, anyway, do I overthink much? Only five-and-a-half-to-seven-and-a-half weeks to go now until my Emerald arrives.
Old 03-26-2023, 05:38 PM

Duh, I just realised that I can use a regular capo (no special spider required) as long as I do one string, from start to finish, at time!
Old 03-26-2023, 05:48 PM
Charter Member

Default Preferred pinless bridge (Emerald X20) string changing method?

Aah, the much-discussed Emerald pinless bridge.

I have one on my Amicus. The first time I changed strings, I was getting on famously, until I got to the lower strings. Keeping tension on those to keep the ball end in place, while the same time trying to pin down a squirrelly little instrument that just did not want to stay put, led me to my odds’n’sods drawer.

IKEA wrench to the rescue. With this, or any other equivalent Allen wrench, it’s a piece of cake.

Oh, and add a little bend to the ball end before you try to engage it in the slot.

IMG_2320.jpg
IMG_2321.jpg
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-26-2023, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

Also - it should be noted that I’ve seen no complaints about the pinless bridge, either here or on a couple of Facebook pages, in several months.

I guess either people are learning to live with it, or maybe Emerald has made a tweak or two to make it more accommodating.
Cordoba Stage

Old 03-26-2023, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
...IKEA wrench to the rescue. With this, or any other equivalent Allen wrench, it’s a piece of cake.

Oh, and add a little bend to the ball end before you try to engage it in the slot.
Thanks for those tips, especially the Ikea Allen key idea.
Old 03-27-2023, 10:00 AM

I have an X20 with a pinless bridge. My method is, I have a discarded wooden disposable chopstick, leftover from some takeout, the end of which is nicely tapered. I slot the string into the pinhole, then stick in the chopstick to hold the string temporarily in place. Then put the end of the string through the peghead, with 1 fret of slack spacing for the windings, and tighten the string until it is starting to hold tension, but not all the way tight. Then pull out the chopstick. If it comes out cleanly, all is good. If it is binding on the ball end, that means the ball end slipped loose so start over. Once all six strings are like this I bring them all up to pitch. At the end the chopstick goes into my guitar doctor tool bag for the next time. You could also use something similar in size, it just needs to fit the pinhole. The tool and of a Phillips head screwdriver. A knitting needle. A small dowel. Whatever fits.

I use Monel strings which last a long time so fortunately I don’t have to do this routine very often. I guess I need to find a few more chopsticks to go into my case for use out of the house.
Old 03-27-2023, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

I have found the Allen key that comes with the x20 for the truss rod makes the perfect holder. Put the small end in and the large end has enough leverage to hold it in place
Old 03-27-2023, 07:04 PM

OK, great, good to know that the Allen key that comes with the guitar has an alternative use, and same for chopsticks that I have no idea how to use properly for their intended purpose.
Old 03-28-2023, 04:54 PM

I don't have any issues with changing strings with the Emerald pinless bridge.

I simply put a slight bend near the ball end, reach inside the guitar to seat it and then keep tension on the string while restringing like I do with my acoustic guitars with pin bridges.

I haven't needed any special tools or capos, but that's just me.
Old 03-28-2023, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaemc2 View Post

I simply put a slight bend near the ball end, reach inside the guitar to seat it and then keep tension on the string while restringing like I do with my acoustic guitars with pin bridges.

I do the ‘reach inside to seat’ trick with my X20 (which has a pin bridge) - but I can’t get my arm inside the Amicus
Cordoba Stage

Old 03-28-2023, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaemc2 View Post

Yes, your method sounds like the couple of videos that I watched. I might give that a go, but I think I will first try the capo and/or chopstick/Allen-key method. If the factory-installed strings sound good, I probably won't need to change them for a month or so, by which time I'm sure I will have forgotten everything I've learned from this thread.
Old 03-29-2023, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
Yes, your method sounds like the couple of videos that I watched. I might give that a go, but I think I will first try the capo and/or chopstick/Allen-key method. If the factory-installed strings sound good, I probably won't need to change them for a month or so, by which time I'm sure I will have forgotten everything I've learned from this thread.
However you choose to do it, you’ll find it a lot easier if you can immobilize the guitar while restringing.
Cordoba Stage

Old 03-29-2023, 07:42 AM

Quote:
However you choose to do it, you’ll find it a lot easier if you can immobilize the guitar while restringing.
Good point; somebody mentioned that as being very important for the method of maintaining constant string tension with one hand. I don't tend to have a surface that is readily available for that, but now I'm thinking I could just use a folding table (I've got two or three around the house somewhere) and throw a towel over it. I've got one of those guitar neck rests that I actually bought with the idea of having the guitar on a flat surface, but never used it.
Old 03-29-2023, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agfsteve View Post
Good point; somebody mentioned that as being very important for the method of maintaining constant string tension with one hand. I don't tend to have a surface that is readily available for that, but now I'm thinking I could just use a folding table (I've got two or three around the house somewhere) and throw a towel over it. I've got one of those guitar neck rests that I actually bought with the idea of having the guitar on a flat surface, but never used it.
I use the kitchen island in our house, with a padded blanket over it, when changing strings or working on a guitar. It's a good height and solid.
Old 03-29-2023, 04:59 PM

Quote:
I do the ‘reach inside to seat’ trick with my X20 (which has a pin bridge) - but I can’t get my arm inside the Amicus
That's a good point!!

The Amicus would be trickier but looks like you sorted that one out nicely!!

Last edited by dgaemc2; 03-29-2023 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Incorrect information

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber