The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-19-2023, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Default It ain't carbon fibre, but I like it

Well, I hope I like it.

I ordered a Blackbird Savoy. It's their linen ekoa material. Synthetic, not wood. Not carbon fiber.

They are 6 month out on production, so they say. So, it won't come for many moons to come. But I'm very optimistic. I like the scale length (24.5"), and the profile and the fingerboard radius. Plus with the cutaway it's small and travel worthy. And I really like the videos I've seen.

To me it sounds more warm and woody-like than other synthetic material guitars. So, we'll see.
Old 03-19-2023, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Very nice, I sure like the looks, but the soundhole is in the wrong place ! LOL I jest. I hope it works well for you ! Let us know....
Old 03-19-2023, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Lots of love for the eKoa Blackbirds in this subforum in the past - for good reason, based on the videos I’ve seen/heard.

However, it bugs me that they felt the need to conform to traditional aesthetics with the Savoy. I mean, have you seen a Rider?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-19-2023, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Traditional Aesthetics

Ha, ha. I think it's a great idea. How many traditional guitars are sold in the world vs off-centered (tortured?) soundholes/shapes every year? Nice to have something that mimics the traditional styles yet is unaffected by the temperature and humidity concerns of wood.

We'll see how it works out. It's months away from arriving. Maybe I'll forget I even ordered it by then.

What? A surprise!

Last edited by Marshall; 03-20-2023 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-19-2023, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

I had the opportunity to play Kramster's Savoy in 2018 at the Desert Southwest Carbon Fest (yeah, I made up that name) held at Kramster's place, attended by some of us from this forum. There were all kinds of interesting carbon fiber guitars and the ekoa Savoy. I enjoyed playing the Savoy; a warm sound for the small(ish) size.

I have to admit that I was most interested in playing a "vintage" Emerald X10, with a center soundhole to get a feel for the size. Fortunately, when Emerald released the X10 again a few months later, it had the offset soundhole and all the bevels and ergonomics I enjoy.

Congrats on the incoming Savoy!
Old 03-20-2023, 05:29 AM

Wonderful guitar that is warm and punched well above its size. With the center, soundhole was much easier to dial in a K&K passive pickup. Do not understand the physics but offset sound holes make getting the K&K pickup dialed in correctly nearly impossible based on my experience. I owned one for a number of years but sadly had to thin the herd.
Old 03-20-2023, 02:03 PM

I love my Savoy! I got the first Savoy that was sent out to a customer. It was documented by Joe with a video. It is one of my favorite guitars.
Barb
Old 03-20-2023, 02:18 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I briefly owned a Savoy a few years ago. Didn’t like anything about it including the high cost. Fastest in/out of any guitar I’ve owned. YMMV.
Old 03-28-2023, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I briefly owned a Savoy a few years ago. Didn’t like anything about it including the high cost. Fastest in/out of any guitar I’ve owned. YMMV.

Well, we'll see. They are 6 months out, so it'll be a long while. I'm very optimistic. But if it doesn't work for me, I figure I can move it on without much of a loss, because they are so hard to come by.

I've got a GS-Mini for travel guitar, and a RainSong for inclement guitar. If the Savoy works best I can move the other 2. If not, then the Savoy will move on. Either way the incremental cost won't be huge unless I keep them all. But most likely I'll go one way or the other.
Old 03-28-2023, 08:04 AM

I've not heard those before. Very nice tone! I can see why you'd be interested.
Old 03-28-2023, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Traditional Aesthetics

Ha, ha. I think it's a great idea. How many traditional guitars are sold in the world vs off-centered (tortured?) soundholes/shapes every year? Nice to have something that mimics the traditional styles yet is unaffected by the temperature and humidity concerns of wood.

We'll see how it works out. It's months away from arriving. Maybe I'll forget I even ordered it by then.

What? A surprise!
Looks great! I really like the "traditional" soundhole...even asked Emerald if they still had a mold for that in the X7 line for special order but, alas, no. I have not been able to completely practice my way out of occasionally hitting the guitar with a pick on my X7 and more so (a bit closer strings to the body) on the Cargo.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:47 AM

That is a really great sounding little guitar! Beautiful too.
Old 03-28-2023, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Well, we'll see. They are 6 months out, so it'll be a long while. I'm very optimistic. But if it doesn't work for me, I figure I can move it on without much of a loss, because they are so hard to come by.

I've got a GS-Mini for travel guitar, and a RainSong for inclement guitar. If the Savoy works best I can move the other 2. If not, then the Savoy will move on. Either way the incremental cost won't be huge unless I keep them all. But most likely I'll go one way or the other.
Seems we have had similar paths: I had a GSmini as a travel guitar, and a RainSong Shorty was my first carbon fiber guitar. I think you'll find the Savoy will do just what you want. Granted, the cost is a bit high compared to other composite options, but that's between you and your wallet. When you have the sound and feel you like, and the guitar "fills a slot", cost is less of a concern.

6 months is quite a wait - I look forward to your thoughts on it when it arrives.
Old 03-28-2023, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Ditto what others are saying ! Very nice, I really like the edge burst.
Old 03-28-2023, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

The edge burst is a $545 upgrade so I didn't choose that. But I've done my own burst on 2 guitars in the past, so I might go that route here.

Here's my 1957 J50 with a slight edge burst.

It's a Re-Ranch nitro cellulose tobacco sunburst spray I used.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber