The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-01-2023, 04:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Just for Captain Jim :)

Here’s a new video from Emerald, where Alistair Hay goes through every one of the 25 standard models in the range.

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-01-2023, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

I just watched that - what a nice showcase of the various Emerald models! Alistair offers a nice explanation on each. 25 models? And that's just the beginning when you start figuring the aesthetics of veneers and colors, and then the variety of pickup options.

It isn't an understatement to say that they offer something for every guitar player's tastes.
Old 03-01-2023, 06:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I just watched that - what a nice showcase of the various Emerald models! Alistair offers a nice explanation on each. 25 models? And that's just the beginning when you start figuring the aesthetics of veneers and colors, and then the variety of pickup options.

It isn't an understatement to say that they offer something for every guitar player's tastes.
I knew they had a lot of models, but seeing 25 distinct instruments was quite an eye-opener.

One might quibble about the cost of certain upgrades - but at least they’re available.

That’s where Emerald really distinguishes itself, I believe. No disrespect to the other makers of great CF guitars out there, but no-one else is doing this.
Cordoba Stage

Old 03-05-2023, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

If I could find a 6 string X20 that is just like my X20-7 (thanks again David!!!), I would seriously consider purchasing it. No electronics, amber color, pin bridge whatever they call the non-glossy fretboard. I guess I don't want one of the current models if they don't have the pin bridge. I want the 6 string twin to my X20-7 because I am so impressed with it.

What year was my X20-7 made, David?

The video showing all the models is interesting. I don't know if this is an accurate comparison, but I think of the cost of the custom stuff to be a bit like what is said about gas stations - they don't make much on the gas, but clean up on the Twinkies, pop, and other goodies they sell inside.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-05-2023, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
If I could find an X20 that is just like my X20-7 (thanks again David!!!), I would seriously consider purchasing it. No electronics, amber color, pin bridge whatever they call the non-glossy fretboard. I guess I don't want one of the current models if they don't have the pin bridge. I want the twin to my X20-7 because I am so impressed with it.

What year was my X20-7 made, David?

The video showing all the models is interesting. I don't know if this is an accurate comparison, but I think of the cost of the custom stuff to be a bit like what is said about gas stations - they don't make much on the gas, but clean up on the Twinkies, pop, and other goodies they sell inside.

Tony
Hi Tony,

Your X20-7 was made in 2019, which was the year they changed over from glossy to matte fretboards. I like the glossy version on my 2018 X20, and asked if I could have it on the X20-7, but it was no longer available. I don’t recall when they switched over to the pinless bridge, but I’m pretty sure it was when the X20 was refreshed in 2020 (or was it 2021?)

Also, the finish on your X20-7 is actually a one-off. I asked for an amber top and headstock, with the back and sides in black CF, rather than having the whole thing in amber. Emerald were happy to oblige - I’ve never seen another one like it - along with the gold tuners, of course.

Now that you mention it, I’ve seen very little in the way of complaints about the pinless bridge recently, either here or on FB. Perhaps people are getting used to it, or they’ve found workarounds for restringing - or Emerald has made some subtle changes to make it easier to manage. Any recent purchasers care to comment?

Regardless, I remain delighted that ‘my’ X20-7 has ended up in such a good home
Cordoba Stage

Old 03-05-2023, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I knew they had a lot of models, but seeing 25 distinct instruments was quite an eye-opener.

One might quibble about the cost of certain upgrades - but at least they’re available.

That’s where Emerald really distinguishes itself, I believe. No disrespect to the other makers of great CF guitars out there, but no-one else is doing this.
I have a hard time not comparing Emerald's offerings to those of Rainsong...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 03-05-2023, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi Tony,

Your X20-7 was made in 2019, which was the year they changed over from glossy to matte fretboards. I like the glossy version on my 2018 X20, and asked if I could have it on the X20-7, but it was no longer available. I don’t recall when they switched over to the pinless bridge, but I’m pretty sure it was when the X20 was refreshed in 2020 (or was it 2021?)

Also, the finish on your X20-7 is actually a one-off. I asked for an amber top and headstock, with the back and sides in black CF, rather than having the whole thing in amber. Emerald were happy to oblige - I’ve never seen another one like it - along with the gold tuners, of course.

Now that you mention it, I’ve seen very little in the way of complaints about the pinless bridge recently, either here or on FB. Perhaps people are getting used to it, or they’ve found workarounds for restringing - or Emerald has made some subtle changes to make it easier to manage. Any recent purchasers care to comment?

Regardless, I remain delighted that ‘my’ X20-7 has ended up in such a good home
Thanks for the info, David. Yes, it is in a good home and it gets played every day. This instrument is perfect in every way. I believe that if you build, say, 10 guitars using the exact same materials and techniques, one will be perfect and, depending on the company's QC and manufacturing methodology, the rest will be fine, but not quite perfect. This X20-7 is perfect. I have not found anything even remotely lacking on it.

I love these win-win situations such as this particular transaction!

Tony

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-05-2023, 07:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
They could make a guitar with the Soundhole in the right place. Or have a different neck profile. I’m just sayin’

(That’s a joke)
Old 03-05-2023, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
They could make a guitar with the Soundhole in the right place. Or have a different neck profile. I’m just sayin’

(That’s a joke)
This is no joke: Emerald used to have a center soundhole in their guitars. The first X10 I played was an older one at Kramster's place... made before they figured out that the hole in the middle of the top takes away "the best" part of that real estate... that off-set, up-turned soundhole really IS the right place. My X10 has a completely different neck profile from my X7 or X20. Really. No joke.

McPherson almost got it right. Yep, that's a joke. When asked about the cutaway on their guitars affecting volume/tone, Bob Taylor said that the upper bout contributed the least sound for a guitar... seems that putting the soundhole in the upper bout is more than just a style exercise.

(Edited to include McPherson and Taylor content)

Last edited by Captain Jim; 03-05-2023 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-05-2023, 08:53 PM
Charter Member

A lot of people in the world like the looks and sound of a regular guitar. A portion of those people would like to have a guitar that won't be affected by temperature and humidity. A lot of those people are not looking to throw out the baby with the bath water (so to speak).

RainSong seems to be catering to those people. I have one now and like it a lot. Though it does midly irk me that they choose to have a 20" radius fingerboard instead of a 16" board like most every other acoustic guitar in the world.

But I'm easily irked.
Old 03-15-2023, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But not a classical, eh?
Old 03-16-2023, 06:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
But not a classical, eh?
Depends what you mean by ‘classical’ - but Emerald does make several nylon-strung models.
Cordoba Stage

Old 03-16-2023, 06:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post

(That’s a joke)
The internet is a great place to start rumors (facts...who needs them!), so here goes...

Emerald does put the sound hole in the right place under the strings like most acoustic guitars. The problem which they haven't solved yet, is that the sound hole slides over and off the side during part of the manufacturing process. Once that happens, they have two choices:

1. Scrap the guitar
2. Sell it as is

Let's chew on that for a while and see how far it goes.

Darn it, Tony! Don't you have better things to do than start rumors in forums?!?!?!

Tony "ignore the actual facts in favor of a juicy rumor" B

- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-16-2023, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Depends what you mean by ‘classical’ - but Emerald does make several nylon-strung models.
By 'classical' I mean classical. They are getting a little closer, as of recently you can get a flat finger board and a wider nut, but still not 52mm which would be 'classical'. No one seems to make one. Klos has hinted they are getting close (Haha!), but it may not be the same sort of instrument as an Emerald. Leviora maybe? Not sure they are still around, their website hasn't been updated in many years.
Old 03-17-2023, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
By 'classical' I mean classical. They are getting a little closer, as of recently you can get a flat finger board and a wider nut, but still not 52mm which would be 'classical'. No one seems to make one. Klos has hinted they are getting close (Haha!), but it may not be the same sort of instrument as an Emerald. Leviora maybe? Not sure they are still around, their website hasn't been updated in many years.
I am sure there are some nylon string Emeralds out there with a flat fingerboard and a 52 mm nut, dating back from the days when they did custom orders.
I prefer 50 mm on a classical though.

Sadly, I was never able to get the same volume and projection from my nylon string Emeralds as from my relatively cheap Alhambra classical wood guitar.
That is until I replaced the strings with Thomastik rope cores, which of course takes it even further away from a true classical guitar.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber