The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 05-14-2010, 07:03 PM

Default Sunsets in the west...

Another one of my songs from the sessions I did in the studio.
It's a song I wrote on the plane, after leaving a loved one in the US, and not having a VISA to go back there.

Sunsets in the West

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 05-14-2010, 10:14 PM

very good job! Could be my speakers, but I wish the vocals could be more seperated from the guitar. I loved what I heard but sometimes there just wasnt enough distinction.
Old 05-15-2010, 04:53 AM

Great song!!! Really wonderful playing. I would agree to bring the guitar down in the mix during vocals. Both your vocals AND your playing are great so there is no sense having them compete. Did I mention really great song!??

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 05-15-2010, 07:04 AM

Great song. Reminds me of a time when I first met my wife. We met online back in '95. I came to S.A., TX to meet her for the first time in the first part of Sept that year. I moved here at the end of that Sept and we've been married now, will be 14 years, June 1st.

This song brought back the memories of that plane ride back to CA.

One critique I have about the song is the beginning of the lead part, it doesn't really match the vibe of the song. That big attack and all that bending. It didn't work for me. It should be more subtle and ringing with more sustained notes, like the way you closed the song.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics
Old 05-15-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhancox View Post
Great song. Reminds me of a time when I first met my wife. We met online back in '95. I came to S.A., TX to meet her for the first time in the first part of Sept that year. I moved here at the end of that Sept and we've been married now, will be 14 years, June 1st.

This song brought back the memories of that plane ride back to CA.

One critique I have about the song is the beginning of the lead part, it doesn't really match the vibe of the song. That big attack and all that bending. It didn't work for me. It should be more subtle and ringing with more sustained notes, like the way you closed the song.
Good call, I think it is very close though. I feel sort of an emotional crescendo at that point of the song so I really like the way the lead starts off with an aggressive attack and then smooths and soothes the emotions to the final portion of the song. Really a well constructed song, and really a pleasure to listen too!!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 05-15-2010, 11:23 AM

Thanks guys!

I agree the mix is wrong...I actually ran out of time in the studio, had to come home and mix in my headphones, which isn't really accurate....I am getting the recordings mastered soon, so they should sort the levels out a bit.

Hmm, the solo is meant to be attacking and then dynamically get softer, it was meant to build up to it in the second chorus type thing, unfortunately, this song tends to sound better through my live rig with the pickups believe it or not....the power just isn't there unplugged...I tell the soundguys "turn me up loud so I can play quietly".

Thanks for the listens and the tips guys!

Yamaha MIJ CJX32
Avalon L32
Avalon A32 Legacy
Lowden 022
Gibson J-185
Takamine TNV360sc
Cole Clark Fat Lady 3
Old 05-15-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Jones View Post
Thanks guys!

I agree the mix is wrong...I actually ran out of time in the studio, had to come home and mix in my headphones, which isn't really accurate....I am getting the recordings mastered soon, so they should sort the levels out a bit.

Hmm, the solo is meant to be attacking and then dynamically get softer, it was meant to build up to it in the second chorus type thing, unfortunately, this song tends to sound better through my live rig with the pickups believe it or not....the power just isn't there unplugged...I tell the soundguys "turn me up loud so I can play quietly".

Thanks for the listens and the tips guys!
That is exactly what I got out of it!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 05-15-2010, 01:21 PM

Nice song Rick .........like it .
Old 05-16-2010, 05:56 AM

Well done, Rick! You've got a great sound and this song especially highlights your unique style.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 05-16-2010, 06:27 AM

I ended up on your website listening to more of your music. Outstanding....just outstanding. I think you're underrating your singing though. I think you've got a great vocal - my only comment would be not to let your styling of the vocal get in the way of clarity.

Of course that is just an opinion. I'll restate, oustanding musicianship, and your recording technique is obviously polished. Reminds me I've got a lot to learn in that arena.

"I've tasted and obtained wealth, fame and power and can testify that they do not compare to the satisfaction that I have tasted from one drop of water from the cup of Christ which has quenched my thirst."

- Malcom Muggeridge

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell