The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-17-2021, 12:42 AM

Default Reduced pricing due to the current situation?

Just browsing almost randomly, I got to the page of a guy who builds acoustic guitars and microphones several hours from me in Finland. I noticed that he is offering free world wide shipping and 20% off his guitar pricing.

https://www.timbretones.com/guitars
I quite like the youtube samples of one of his Jumbo-OM guitars (pretty big but not as plump as many Jumbos)

Are there others who have gone for covid discounts?
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-17-2021, 10:37 AM

Calton cases is offering LUTHIERS ONLY Custom Logo Nameplates with an order of 2 or more cases.

(For whatever reason, it appeared in my FB feed: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1190233381433135
*Offer available though April 30th, 2021.
Old 04-17-2021, 05:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Manufactured goods with a wholesale/retail price structure can mess with the price some depending on market demand, but most luthiers I know are priced so that they can just scrape by, plus a modest profit margin as they become more established. There's not much room for marketing ploys.

Besides that, many of us are having a banner year. Not many of our customers are struggling, and spending a lot more time at home can cause one's musical instruments to become a more important part of one's life. And life is short.
Old 04-17-2021, 10:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Manufactured goods with a wholesale/retail price structure can mess with the price some depending on market demand, but most luthiers I know are priced so that they can just scrape by, plus a modest profit margin as they become more established. There's not much room for marketing ploys.

Besides that, many of us are having a banner year. Not many of our customers are struggling, and spending a lot more time at home can cause one's musical instruments to become a more important part of one's life. And life is short.
Very wise and very true perspective Bruce.

As for the 20% discount, in this case, I think this is Timbertones' way of peaking outside interest. Janne is indeed from Findland and builds beautiful microphones and guitars. I bought a microphone from him a couple of years ago, and they are the real deal. Hand-made, and super sonic clear. He makes them one at a time and same with his guitars. I have not tried his guitars, but I wouldn't be surprised if they sounded great. He must have a slight inventory relative to his output.

I haven't gone after any Covid discounts, but I might want to look into another microphone.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nootis View Post
As for the 20% discount, in this case, I think this is Timbertones' way of peaking outside interest. Janne is indeed from Findland and builds beautiful microphones and guitars....
Peaking interest might well be the motivation. As far as I can tell, he isn't making and selling enough guitars or microphones to make a living. I get the feeling that it is a side gig that he'd like to grow into a main, or at least bigger, gig.

I see on his FB page that he has a couple of guitars in progress.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:32 PM
Charter Member

Discounting guitars for a solo builder is a bad idea. It devalues their work and sends all the wrong signals.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop