The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-21-2018, 12:18 PM

Default Discovered 2 GREAT builders in my hometown!

I recently had the pleasure to meet and play guitars made by two fine gentlemen who live and build guitars in my hometown of Concord, NC. I never knew there was anyone building guitars, much less guitars of this caliber, right down the road!

Caston guitars are built by Richard Klutz in his custom frame shop. He's been building guitars on the side for several years now. I've played a 000 style and several dreads recently. They sound great and hold their own with my 2014 D18, which says a LOT. His facebook page has updated photos of several guitars he's working on and just finished recently.

http://www.castonguitars.com

Danny Seamon has been building guitars for a few years now as a hobby. He's got a GREAT thing going. I brought my D18 to his house last week and A/B'd it against 4 of his dreads. I LOVE my D18, but to be honest, 3 of the 4 I played blew my D18 out of the water. No contest. Power, volume, clarity, punch... amazing! My wife came along and couldn't believe it either. On the way home she said, "I hate to say it, but those guitars made yours sound like a weenie!" How about that! I've played several Collings, Huss and Dalton, and Martin dreads over the past few months, and I'd honestly pick at least two of Danny's guitars over any of those. Ben Cockman (former Winfield champ) plays one of Danny's D-28 style guitars these days.

https://www.dannyseamonguitars.com

Both of these guys have consulted with some of the greatest luthiers in the country and have obviously gotten some great advice.

Kudos to two great guys building exceptional instruments right here in my hometown! What a great discovery!
Old 05-21-2018, 01:43 PM

I lived in Lewiston Maine for 10 years. Never heard of Dana Bourgeois until he was introduced at a guitar festival at Colby College which is just 35 miles up the road from Lewiston.
Old 05-21-2018, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

What a great find. I am lucky to live in an area where several fine luthiers live within both minutes and hours of me.

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-21-2018, 04:34 PM

Both look like nice guitars. The Caston guitars looks good but the Danny seamon fiddleback walnut guitar is so so sexy, his prices were pretty good too
Old 05-21-2018, 04:48 PM

Yes! I played the fiddleback walnut and it sounded terrific along with the great aesthetics.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:45 AM

Old 05-22-2018, 10:06 AM

I grew up in Concord. I have known Richard for many years and I have the pleasure of owning a Caston guitar. I've never been much for ornate guitars so the look of the Caston is perfect for me. I really can't say enough good things about Richard and his guitars. I'd encourage you to look at the Caston Guitar Facebook page as it gets updated while the website really doesn't.
Old 05-22-2018, 11:44 AM

It is an amazing time for guitarists right now with the plethora of luthiers popping up. It reminds me of when the micro-brewery movement kicked in and I discovered I actually like certain beers.

In the greater Seattle area, it seems like they're popping up like mushrooms after a fall rain. And these aren't button mushrooms, but chanterelles.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-22-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnez13 View Post
I grew up in Concord. I have known Richard for many years and I have the pleasure of owning a Caston guitar. I've never been much for ornate guitars so the look of the Caston is perfect for me. I really can't say enough good things about Richard and his guitars. I'd encourage you to look at the Caston Guitar Facebook page as it gets updated while the website really doesn't.
I played 4 new Caston guitars today before he takes them up to the Chantilly Farm bluegrass festival. They looked and sounded great!
Old 05-22-2018, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romans5 View Post

Danny Seamon has been building guitars for a few years now as a hobby. He's got a GREAT thing going. I brought my D18 to his house last week and A/B'd it against 4 of his dreads. I LOVE my D18, but to be honest, 3 of the 4 I played blew my D18 out of the water. No contest. Power, volume, clarity, punch... amazing! My wife came along and couldn't believe it either. On the way home she said, "I hate to say it, but those guitars made yours sound like a weenie!" How about that! I've played several Collings, Huss and Dalton, and Martin dreads over the past few months, and I'd honestly pick at least two of Danny's guitars over any of those. Ben Cockman (former Winfield champ) plays one of Danny's D-28 style guitars these days.

https://www.dannyseamonguitars.com
Sooo.... which of his guitars did you like the most? They look awesome!
Old 05-22-2018, 08:15 PM
Charter Member

Default romans5... your video

Old 05-22-2018, 09:23 PM

I’m in love with that fiddleback walnut!
Old 05-23-2018, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehando View Post
Sooo.... which of his guitars did you like the most? They look awesome!
I couldn't decide between a D18 style with red spruce top, standard positioned scalloped bracing (not for sale - Danny was keeping this one), and the EIR back and sides dread with clear pick guard listed for sale on his website. That one had forward shifted bracing. They were both so loud and powerful. The fiddleback walnut was a close 3rd in my opinion sound-wise. BUT boy was it beautiful. No slouch for sound either.

I would have traded my D18 for any of those three on the spot.

BTW, thanks for fixing my attempt at posting the video...
Old 05-23-2018, 12:18 AM

I'm pretty sure the D18 style I mentioned in the post above is the one Ben Cockman is playing Wayfairing Stranger on above.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:29 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks to all for the kind words. Danny

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion