The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-20-2018, 07:36 PM

Default Great performer; great guitar

One of the things I cherish most about the AGF is that the members here have introduced me to so much wonderful and inspiring guitar music and guitarists.

Thank you!!

So, in the spirit of highlighting wonderful musicians (and guitars), I just thought I'd start a "Thread of Appreciation" for Chris Smither, a tremendous songwriter and performer who should be better known. He also plays a beautiful Collings 000 guitar that sounds spectacular in his capable hands.

Here's a recent video of this master (and his intoxicating Collings 000). Enjoy.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

He is a great performer and a pretty good guitar player. He lives in our town so we have the pleasure of seeing him often. We went to his new album release party last month and he put on a great show.

He has this nice version of the Beatles “She Said” on his new album that he played at the show. I’ve been learning & playing this version lately.

Last edited by BrunoBlack; 05-20-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:19 PM
Charter Member

I've not had the opportunity to him live but love his vibe. Perfect marriage between his voice and his guitar. Here is another great one.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:55 PM

I'm a big fan. Here's my favorite Chris Smither song:

Old 05-21-2018, 09:01 PM

Thanks all for posting some great videos.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:51 PM

Thanks, guys! I really enjoyed those videos.
Old 05-22-2018, 01:47 AM

I watched and dug all of them, but No Love Today is my favorite. That would be fun to learn. That Collings sounds perfect with him!

Thanks for posting
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 05-22-2018, 04:19 AM
Charter Member

Man, I've been a fan since I first heard ''Love You Like a Man'' on WCAS radio from Cambridge Mass, saw him at Passim (Club47), got his first album for $2 in the bargain bin, and made a cassette of Chris that Sunday on Live at Passim. Wore that cassette out and still loved the album.

More than 20 years later while driving through the mountains from New Paltz to Shandaken NY, I heard something really good on Woodstock radio; ''I know that voice'' ''Holy crap, it's Chris Smither!'' I detoured to the record store in Woodstock and got his new cd Small Revelations.

Still love his stuff and listen all the time!
Old 05-22-2018, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

We better listen to the Bonnie Raitt version;

Old 05-22-2018, 07:58 AM
Guest 33123

One year at Fur Peace Ranch I had the pleasure of meeting Chris. Really nice guy and very talented. That Collings is sure worn in! It's missing about 30% of the top finish.

Last edited by Guest 33123; 05-22-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Doug View Post
One year at Fur Peace Ranch I had the pleasure of meeting Chris. Really nice guy and very talented. That Collings is sure worn in! It's missing about 30% of the top finish.
I also had the pleasure of meeting Chris at Fur Peace many years ago. He's one of the nicest, most sincere and generous people in the music business I've ever met. Taking his class there was enlightening, and I ended up liking his foot stomping accompaniment so much that adopted it as a part of my own playing style.

Here's one of my favorites of Chris' which he was kind enough to teach me at Fur Peace:

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 05-22-2018, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

'' I ended up liking his foot stomping accompaniment so much that adopted it as a part of my own playing style.''

Since way back when, Chri is the only musician who uses a microphone for his feet!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion